Snub nose 45 LC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Snub nose 45 LC

Post by Marlin32 »

Purchased a Charter Arms Bulldog XL in 45 Long Colt. It has a 2.5" barrel and weighs about 23oz.
I fired Hornady 185gr ammo through it, recoil quite manageable, and it proved to be very accurate at 20 paces.
GOing to try some Underwood 135gr ammo in it as well.

Although recoil was manageable, (not worse and maybe better than some 357's I have shot) I don't think 250+ gr loads would be this gun's nich.
Nifty little revolver.
Have another Charter Arms in 32H&R with a 3" barrel and the snubbie 45 out shot it although have not put many rounds through the 32.

I know this model available in 44 special, and almost bought one, but held out for the colt!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Snub nose 45 LC

Post by gamekeeper »

I didn't know you could get the Bulldog in .45 long Colt, a lot of gun in a small package.. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Personally, I think your handicapping yourself by going to a light bullet….mass is what knocks things down…..it’s why the British used a 200 gr in their 38S&W cartridge and why our military stayed with the heavy bullets in the 45-70 to stop charging horses.

Load a 250 gr SWC to 650 fps. The dude on the receiving end with think he was just hit by a meteorite instead of being stung by a wasp.

But, that’s your business. As Elmer Keith said, “heavy bullets always work.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:12 pm Personally, I think your handicapping yourself by going to a light bullet….mass is what knocks things down…..it’s why the British used a 200 gr in their 38S&W cartridge and why our military stayed with the heavy bullets in the 45-70 to stop charging horses.

Load a 250 gr SWC to 650 fps. The dude on the receiving end with think he was just hit by a meteorite instead of being stung by a wasp.

But, that’s your business. As Elmer Keith said, “heavy bullets always work.

I agree. I’m only shooting 250 to 270 gr bullets and you don’t have to push them hard. Cowboy Action loads would be perfect.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I always like to try different stuff so I’d probably shoot the light stuff like you are just for the heck of it anyway. I didn’t even know they made a 135 grain 45 Colt bullet…!!

Probably in the long run, though I would wind up doing what others here have said, and use a big heavy bullet going slowly, just partly because that’s the thing that gun can do that smaller diameter cartridges just can’t do.

I also didn’t know that they made the Charter Arms in 45 Colt; that almost sounds like the perfect carry gun…!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea,,,unless you can put the hydraulic power of a 7mm Remington mag in a handgun, I’ll stay with the big fat slow bullet that penetrates..

Some years back some big name company was making hollow point bullets for the 25 auto…..geeze, I’m not ballistician but I know enough that penetration is the only thing going for a hardball 25 auto.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I believe the Charter Arms is 45 Colt has a larger frame than the Bulldog in 44 special. Still a handy big bore I’m sure.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Load a 255 gr Hornady Cowboy bullet over 6 gr Unique and you should be right in the sweet spot
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I think the 41 Mag is the same frame as the 45 Colt -- here's mine
This thing can run some pretty impressive loads but it's a handful. More sedate are fun and accurate. Mine shoots high with .41 mag ammo, so I developed a load with 135gr Cutting Edge that shot point of aim. I seldom carry it but when I do, it's loaded with three 135gr and 2 ea 250gr Grizzly WFNGCs. The 135s chrono 1,220 fps +- and the 250s 1,150 fps +-
Single action is nice - double action not so much.
Also have a Taurus Ti Tracker - all said about CA is applicable except double action is nice.
The more sedate loads are 215gr CSWCBB coated from commercial casters chrono in the mid 700s (gund dependent) or mid 800s with 7.3gr of universal.

Neat little guns.

Paul
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Yes Paul, I believe the 41, 45 Colt, 45 auto Colt, and the Professional are on the XL frame. The XL frame isn't all that big either, maybe K frame size. I have an Undercover which is a bit smaller than my J frame. Watched my dad drop a pigeon sitting on top of an old style tobacco barn once. A truly amazing shot!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Big, heavy, and slow is what has worked since the beginning of gunpowder in cannon.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I really like mt CA Southpaw. But it’s only .38 spl. I put my bid in with them for lefty Bulldog.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice congrats, i had a Charter Bull dog in 44 SP many moons ago and loved the dern thing wish i still had it. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Love my little Bulldog as well. This being Texas, I keep a snake load up first, then four 240-grain Keiths.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

A short stumpy .45 "COLT" like that would be a hoot to shoot with 40 grs of black powder at night!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

J Miller wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:09 am A short stumpy .45 "COLT" like that would be a hoot to shoot with 40 grs of black powder at night!

Joe
Yeah but the concussion puts out the kerosene lamps.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:11 am
J Miller wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:09 am A short stumpy .45 "COLT" like that would be a hoot to shoot with 40 grs of black powder at night!

Joe
Yeah but the concussion puts out the kerosene lamps.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’m really having to repress my jealousy over that slip gun though.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I also agree that the key for self defense rounds is slowing down velocity, not reducing bullet weight. Self defense rounds should allow the shooter to recover from recoil quickly, but not at the sacrifice of bullet diameter, or weight. If it was a plinking gun, or a Bullseye match cartridge, then by all means load light bullets at slow speeds. But for defense I keep my .45's with 250 gr. bullets.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/