When too much is just WAAAYYYY too much!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

When too much is just WAAAYYYY too much!

Post by CowboyTutt »

I honestly didn't know the 4 bore or .950 JDJ by SSK existed until about 24 hours ago. The .950 propels a 2600 grain bullet (no, that's not a typo) at approximately 2200 fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kPfUBy19E&t=36s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg0RdhFnTd0

I'm awaiting some ballistic information from Scott at Kentucky Ballistics about the 4 bore but not sure I will receive it.

It's hard to believe a rifle that has more foot lbs of recoil (@200 ft lbs with the 4 bore) that outweighs me by a good 25-30 lbs. Does that mean I go flying backwards? (I tend to think yes) and who is going to be my "spotter" and keep me from falling over??? :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, I like my eyeballs in my head where they belong....

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: When too much is just WAAAYYYY too much!

Post by Grizz »

just mount it in your truck. it will stop tail gating AND propel you forward at the same time !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Scott on Kentucky Ballistics is a funny guy and he's really come out of his shell in the past half dozen years. His early videos were a chore to watch but he sure makes me laugh with his antics now. The more they kick, the better he likes 'em. He's a big boy....have you watched his video with Jerry Miculek where he shoots an S&W .500 mag five times in a second and keeps it on a small target? Just the thought of doing that hurts. I'd rather watch him do it.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I watch Kentucky Ballistics regularly, he's probably my favorite of several guntubers I follow. You can definitely see how his content has evolved from what his earliest were. Alot of fun to watch now, and educational to boot. He seems like a genuinely good guy. His collection of double rifles alone are beyond drool-worthy.

Some others I like are The Cinnabar, Target Suite, Leverguns50, Garand Thumb, and a couple others that escape me at the moment.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That’s nothing Tutt. How about throwing a 26 lb projectile 4700 yds? I have done that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Walt my friend (by the way, I appreciate a man who uses his first name in his handle), I'm aware of Scott's accomplishments with the 500 Mag. Pretty amazing, I agree. Ridered350, I'm aware of most of the YouTubers you mentioned. I'm more of a "ballistics guy" whatever that means, and some of the antics of some of these YouTuber's I think is lame (like Demolition Ranch). Scott has been pretty kind to me in the past, I think he is a good man. He certainly has a strong will and goofy personality that has come out over time. I do enjoy his humor from time to time.

Old Savage, please elaborate on what you did? Thanks guys. My 375 H&H Ackley "Long" with a 350 grain bullet is plenty enough fun for me, will be even more so with the new 390 A-Tip bullets and RL26. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

81 mm mortar. Qualified expert btw.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

https://www.nammo.com/product/our-produ ... e%20system.

OK, I THINK its a ground fired projectile? Not the same thing if so. -Tutt

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I remember watching a couple of guys shooting a 4 bore rifle on the range at Westley Richards, they were big guys but I've never seen anyone react quite like they did... :shock:
Scott seemed to do a little better and fired more rounds too..
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

GK, I might be willing to fire one off, provided I had someone literally "at my back" to keep me from falling over! Seriously! No joke! -Tutt

RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

CowboyTutt wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:54 pm Walt my friend (by the way, I appreciate a man who uses his first name in his handle), I'm aware of Scott's accomplishments with the 500 Mag. Pretty amazing, I agree. Ridered350, I'm aware of most of the YouTubers you mentioned. I'm more of a "ballistics guy" whatever that means, and some of the antics of some of these YouTuber's I think is lame (like Demolition Ranch). Scott has been pretty kind to me in the past, I think he is a good man. He certainly has a strong will and goofy personality that has come out over time. I do enjoy his humor from time to time.

Old Savage, please elaborate on what you did? Thanks guys. My 375 H&H Ackley "Long" with a 350 grain bullet is plenty enough fun for me, will be even more so with the new 390 A-Tip bullets and RL26. -Tutt
Agreed, some that have a huge following are a bit cringy to me.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Astonishing how much that action resembles a Ruger No 1 and its grandfather, the Farquharson ...
Here are some of our British friends having a go with the 2-bore, but the blackpowder version. Still, 16 drams is an ounce of black, 437.5 grains ... :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoa5zNn0TU
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was "lucky enough " to get to try a 4 bore shotgun years ago, once was enough thank you.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt, oh you thought I was going to go by your rules :D

Found out today I have a 275 Rigby.

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Biggest bore I ever got to try was an old 8 bore Shot & Ball gun with a patched conical and small mountain of 2F. Recoil was substantial, but in that big-shove BP way. Based on that experience I wouldn't care to try something that big in a rifled, smokeless flavor.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

This seems like a good time to resurrect this old post:

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... hp?t=39188

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta