Shot a Mountain Grizzly

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Shot a Mountain Grizzly

Post by Camp Cook »

Shot a Mountain Grizzly

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

I was out prospecting for 3 weeks with my son in Northern British Columbia, Canada I knew I would be working in this area so applied and won a limited entry draw for spring grizzly figured if I had to shoot one in defense I may as well get to keep it.

Late on the evening of Sunday June 1 we were out prospecting/hunting on a very steep mountain hill side when we spotted way down below us a fairly big bear we at first thought that it was a big chocolate colour phaze black bear but after watching it for a while and when it put it's head down to feed we saw that it was a grizzly due to the huge shoulder hump that popped out of what seemed like nowhere .

A quick check showed that the wind was perfect for a stock so we decided to get a closer look...

When we were about what we thought to be 125 to 150 yards I decided that that was a close as we were going to go towards it but it was an awesome looking bear so even though I wasn't really there to shot a grizzly I decided I would take a shot.

I was packing my Rem 700 LSS 375RUM with 300gr Nosler Partitions loaded to 2750fps my son had the same rifle but chambered in 300RUM with 200gr Swift A-Frames @ 3200fps.

The bears butt was facing directly towards me so I waited for it to turn and when it gave me a quartering shot thru the right lung and into the left shoulder I fired.

My son was watching thru the scope and told me my shot was perfect the bear was knocked almost off it's feet as it spun biting the spot that the bullet impacted.

It then took off into thick bush that you couldn't see more than 20 yards at the best.

It was getting late so after we went about 20 yards into the thick bush after the bear we decided to back out and come back in the morning.

12 hours later loaded with range finder and my Marlin 1895GS loaded with 525gr Beartooth WLNGC's and my son carrying his Dlask 8.5" barreled Rem 870 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs we went in after the bear.

Amazingly after only 75 yards my son spotted the bear laying on it's back which was a total relief for us.

When we walked up to it we were amazed at how big it was I had never in my life seen a grizzly this big so I dug out my range finder went back to where the bear was standing when I took the shot and saw that the shot was actually much further than we thought it had been about 230 to 250 yards not the 150 max that we thought.

I guess the bear was so big that we under estimated the distance.

After skinning the bear and getting the hide buried in some snow I phoned my buddy on a satt phone and got him to bring in 10lbs of salt which turned out to be not enough so we borrowed some more from a local outfitter.

This guide/outfitter has been working this area for over 35 years and when he saw the bear he told us he has never seen one so big and stated that it maybe one of the top 5 mountain grizzlies ever shot in BC and could be in the top 90 in the Boone & Crockett...

I'm thinking it is a little smaller than he does though...

As a reference to size I am 6'3" 220 lbs and my son is 5'9" and 220 lbs as well we figured that the bear is at least 4 times heavier than us and the outfitter/guide est it at 1000 lbs and "guesstemated" that it would have weighed as much as 1200lbs in the fall and could possible stand 11 1/2' tall...

After we got back to camp I noticed that we had dropped a knife sheath so after 5 days of wondering if we should go back in after it we decided to give it a try...

As we slowly/cautiously/noisly walked into the site once again carrying my 45-70 and my son carrying his shotgun we found the sheath about 25 yards into the thick bush but now curiousity had the better of us and we decided to advance to the spot that the carcass was about 20 yards from the site I was able to see into were the carcass should have been but that 800lbs body was completely gone...

I glanced over to my son stating "the bodies gone lets get out of here" to which we turned tail and made the fastest retreat that we could.

When we were a couple of hundred yards away from the thick bush my son and I stopped and regrouped it was only then that he asked me "did you hear that noise just as you were saying lets get out of here"?

I'm almost completely deaf and hadn't heard a thing he then continued to explain the noise was like a huge body rubbing up against or dragging something against a bush or a tree...

I was wondering why his retreat was faster than mine...

Later I started thinking that only another huge grizzly could have moved that carcass so guys there is another huge bear in the area...

If your interested in a guided grizzly hunt pm me for the outfitter's info and I will pass it on as a favor to him.

Here are some pic's...

[i
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Shot a Mountain Grizzly

Post by 95fan »

Very nice, congrats on a great hunt :D
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet :mrgreen: !Nice size Mt.Grizz and great account and pics :D !Thanks for posting.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Wow!!!!! :D :D :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great story and awesome bear! Congratulations. :D
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

+1 WOW! That's a big beast!!!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

congrats! that is a nice bear - should look great as a rug or mount?
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice rug! :)
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

That was indeed an experience of a lifetime, and with the pictures and who you were with, makes it so completely special. I'm glad for you, thanks for your good post.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Thanks for a great report! That is a wonderful trophy!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations! Great hunt, great shootin, and great post. The pictures really show the size of the beast.

Are you going to try and have it scored for B&C? Sounds like it wold be great for that as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Nice Grizz! Great story and pics

8)
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

The skull has only been roughly green scored at between 23 1/2" which makes the British Columbia book to just over 24" which is required for the Boone & Crockett book.

So it may not make the Boone & Crockett book but will definately make the Boone & Crockett Awards.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Great story, indeed. But, I want to see a picture of your son's 870 with the 8.5" barrel, too. :wink:

scott
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Here it is...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice story, excellent bear. Great job!

That 870 has got to be a blast cannon.
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good shot dude :) Looks a great place too.
Make sure ya chin strap is holding your hat on when you disharge that 870 :wink:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Nice Bear! :D
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Just recieved an email from the taxidermist saying that the hide measures about 8 feet. :shock:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Congratulations. You experienced what many fellows will never see in a lifetime. That should make a very nice rug. You certainly did the right thing when you noticed the body was missing ..... time to vacate the premises! Bears seem to do stuff like that. I shot a black way back when I was a teen. After skinning it and stretching the hide on the wall of one of our outbuildings, I hitched the carcass to the pickup and dragged it to the far end of one of our hayfields for the coyotes. A couple days later I was passing by and thought I'd take a look to see what sort of activity had been taking place. The carcass was gone. I followed the drag marks for about 75 yards until they disappeared into the bush and, at that point, decided to break off the tracking, primarily because I was unarmed. The only animal big enough to drag that carcass away was another big bear. Sometimes they get a bit touchy about people coming around their food stash. Glad you made it out safely.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Cam, that is such an accomplishment! For those of you who may not remember, Camp Cook was the one I posted the YouTube video of him shooting a custom 4" Ruger SRH 454 at a bear target a while back. Guess we know why he was practicing..... :D I've known "Camp" for a few years now from another forum and we have spoken on the phone a couple of times, so I can tell you guys this story is the real deal. 8)

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Thanks for the comments Mr Tutt and everyone else I totally appreciate them.

To say that this was an adventure of a lifetime is an understatement but the best part is that I got to share this event with my son.

I started teaching him how to shoot when he was about 5 years old and as he grew up he became my hunting partner.

Then 5 years ago he started college so was away every fall/winter/spring and worked hard all summer long so this is the first real trip together in 5 years for us.

He has already bought his limited entry draw and is going to apply for this same hunt again for next year...

We know where that other bear is and he's betting that it is bigger than mine... :D
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

CC, I thought you always carried that Ruger Super Redhawk, in a cross draw holster, when in the bush? The one you had pics of on another site.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

You are correct it is either in a cross draw shoulder holster or a cross draw belt holster.

Technically/legally I can only carry the handgun while prospecting and when I went in after the bear I was most definately not prospecting so I left it in the truck... ;)

That is why I do not have it on in the pictures I posted... ;)

I do have video's from this trip of my son and I while prospecting spotting black bears, after spotting them we would then try and get as close as possible, sneaking up to within 15 yards of one ( about a 5 1/2' er)...

It knew we were there and stayed within 30 yards of us for about 15 minutes, I definately had the handgun loaded and my son had the 45-70 ready for action with that one.

He wasn't the biggest bear but he kept popping his jaws or growling at us...

No we weren't brave or stupid we had the tools and skills required to stop it if we had too and yes we had black bear tags we just don't eat bear meat so have no need to kill one unless it is near a 7" bear would like a B&C black bear now.

Oh one more thing after working on this giant grizzly all the black bears we saw were little babies to us... :D
Last edited by Camp Cook on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

my friend Cowboy Tutt hit a B instead of an R when he typed SBH should have been SRH.
Oops. Fixed that. I have a cold, and I'm not all here. Camp, did you take pics of your Puma with the laminate stocks? I can't remember (dang cold medicine). A guy here recently posted about whether to use Gunstocks Inc. or not. Anyhow, people here might like pics of your Puma too.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Here is a pic of the black/gray laminate stocks that I purchased from GunStockInc after many hours of sanding and fitting the fore end that I thought I had paid extra for because I do not have much in the line of wood working tools.

I should have just bought the standard Win 94 stocks and saved myself $100.00 I am not saying anything negative about them other than I feel that I paid far more than I should have for what I got.

I would definately deal with them again just will not get anything semi custom again would rather spend the money on wood working tools than throw it away like I feel I did.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It looks really neat, Camp. You have yourself a one-of-a-kind Puma there. Too bad they won't make them that way from the factory.

-Tutt

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote:It looks really neat, Camp. You have yourself a one-of-a-kind Puma there. Too bad they won't make them that way from the factory.

-Tutt
+1 - that is a sweet lookin' rifle! 8)
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Ok here's another pic this one is of my s/s black/gray laminate lever rifles.

Marlin 1895GS 45-70
Puma M92 454 Casull
Browning BL22 22LR

Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

I just recieved an awesome update of the area where I shot the bear...

I had told the outfitter roughly were I had shot the bear and that we think that there is another big grizzly in the area due to the carcass being carried off.

He hiked in to check out the spot the other day and as he approached it another bear started shaking trees and growling at him he was able to see the head and said it looks exactly like my bears brother.

Awesome I think we are going to apply for another tag for this area again next year... :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Cam, you need any back-up for that hunt, let me know. I would be glad to offer my services! :lol:

-Tutt

Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

CowboyTutt you know you are always welcome to join me on a trip.

I remember telling you years ago that you should come up here and go prospecting with me... 8)
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I wasn't sure the offer was still open given the new family member. :D Actually, I've been thinking of a trip to AK as its cheaper than Africa and more to my liking. BC would also work, so I might take you up on that offer next summer if that would work for you. Could I bring my own rifle if I did all my paperwork?

-Tutt

Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Yes from what I understand with some paper work it is legal for you to bring your own rifle.

I don't know if summer is all that good of a time frame due to nothing being open for hunting but then again you can't legally hunt with me you would need a guide/outfitter for that but you can fish with just buying a fishing license and gold is always something to look for.

The reason that you would be bringing your rifle would be for protection from attacks from wild animals and to shoot with me at the gun club.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

Awesome, as always.

Some time I would like to hear a little about the prospecting side of all this gun talk. I always thought prospecting would be a cool way to spend some time. OK so one isn't getting rich mostly, but how much more expensive could it be than fishing for trout! I would like a reason for being in the bush that could yield something, might cover expenses, wouldn't be more expensive than what I am currnetly doing there. Been reading up a little on it. I have my summers off as it is. But you have been actually doing it.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Ok I'll give it a try...

There is really 2 main types of prospecting...

Placer which is anything that has been moved by water or glacier movement or hard rock which hasn't been moved by water the material could have moved like broken off of a cliff but as long as water hasn't moved it it is still considered hard rock.

I am more into hard rock prospecting (never liked panning for gold could be that I have never been any good at).

My goal isn't to mine an area more like find a lode source with a minimum 10% mineral content of a desirerable mineral.

Once this is found if ever you claim the area do a report on the contents then introduce it to a junior mining company that will hopefully buy it from you. Could sell it for $50 thousand on up depending what is mineral is involved.

When selling a claim to a company always get royalties on the gross into the agreement.

Friends of mine are totally into placer mining and have claims all over central BC they use excavators, giant sluice boxes, dredges etc they are fairly successful at what they do.

One of the best parts of being a propector in BC is that we are covered under the Mining Act of BC which is the very first Act in Canada which makes it as strong as or stronger than the strongest Federal Acts.

As a prospector I have the legal right to use a private road on private property without asking permission to use it as well as the right to go almost anywhere I want to in this province it is awesome the access rights I have.

The best part is that I can carry a handgun for defense here in Canada when I am prospecting which is everytime that I am in the bush.

I haven't found anything that is minable yet but I have to say that I have been having a lot of fun doing it.

The key to being a successful hard rock prospector is to break rocks the more rocks you break the better the odds of finding something.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Hey Mr Cowboy Tutt I finally got some updates from the taxidermist he sent me these pic's a week or so ago.

The guy in this pic is 6' 4" tall and weighs 275lbs.

This guy is 6' tall and is standing on a 42" table.

The smaller grizzly on our right was shot by a buddy of mine appr 2 weeks before I shot my bear it is a more average size of what an interior mountain grizzly is and once again Steve of Wildlife Designs is 6' tall.

This is my younger son with the rug he was turning 2 years old the day after I took this pic I had just brought the rug home that morning.

How do you identify how big a bear is yo look at it's ears if they are huge ears it is a very small bear if the ears are small it is a big bear and when you can hardly see the ears the bear is huge... :mrgreen:

My older son who is 24 years old and I were both drawn again for a grizzly tag each in the same area so we are trying to get back there last week of May to the first week of June.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I was wondering why his retreat was faster than mine... ]

Heck - Your son knows the best Grizz defense available................. be faster than anyone with ya ! ;)

CONGRATS ! Both on the sucessful hunt, and the sucessful retreat. :P :P

At least now you know you kin pass a cardio stress test in a New York minute. :mrgreen:

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm more impressed with the size of that bear. Really cool. Being in Washington State I can't wait for them big boys to work their way farther south through the Cascades. We have a few running around, but not many.
Old Law Dawg
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

There is talk of them relocating a bunch of them into the Manning Park North Cascades area here in BC it will be interesting to see if it happens.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

He certainly is bigger than you fellows. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

WOW!!!!! :shock:
"That'll Be The Day"
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I had a simular experience here in Central Illinois this fall. Cept I stalked a squirrel. I shot and ate him before he ate me. Mighty tasty.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Camp, those are REMARKABLE pics! Has a bit of a pucker factor just looking at the size of that bear! My summer is looking pretty busy so far now that I bought my Harley Dyna Street Bob. I have 2 road trips planned so far. I would like to make a 3rd up north to WA and if so, I should come up and see you too! -Tutt

Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Mr CB Tutt you are more than welcome to come up here and it would be my honour to finally meet up with you, I even have a suite down stairs that you can call your own for as long as you want to visit. 8)
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Birdman wrote:I had a simular experience here in Central Illinois this fall. Cept I stalked a squirrel. I shot and ate him before he ate me. Mighty tasty.
That's good humour... :mrgreen:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Mr CB Tutt you are more than welcome to come up here and it would be my honour to finally meet up with you, I even have a suite down stairs that you can call your own for as long as you want to visit.
Yehsus, laying it on a bit thick, ain't you Camp? :lol: We have been friends a long time, and you have much more experience in all these things than I do!!!!! The honor will be mine and I'll try to come up, OK? -Andy

Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Pete44ru wrote:[I was wondering why his retreat was faster than mine... ]

Heck - Your son knows the best Grizz defense available................. be faster than anyone with ya ! ;)

CONGRATS ! Both on the sucessful hunt, and the sucessful retreat. :P :P

At least now you know you kin pass a cardio stress test in a New York minute. :mrgreen:

This comment made me remember the thoughts I had as we were running out of the bush...

Firstly I was curious as to why he was running so fast because like I had said in the previous post I hadn't heard anything... :D

Secondly and this was a very weird/strong feeling too me I started thinking that if another grizzly was coming after us I wanted my son to be ahead of me and out of danger I found that I actually slowed down a bit to let him get further ahead of me.

I did this because I know that I am far more capable with a firearm than he is and that if I couldn't stop the bear I wanted him to be safe I know he would have turned and come back though if anything had happened.

Even today I feel that I wanted him safe.

When we were riding our Polaris 500 ATV back to camp after we had put the bear hide into the snow I had my son drive I was so worn out, we were doubling with me on the back when I put my arms around this grown man and put my head on his shoulder I was almost knocked over with the thought I had next my little boy had grown up and it was almost like he was now my protector this was an amazingly powerful feeling for me.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

CowboyTutt wrote:
Mr CB Tutt you are more than welcome to come up here and it would be my honour to finally meet up with you, I even have a suite down stairs that you can call your own for as long as you want to visit.
Yehsus, laying it on a bit thick, ain't you Camp? :lol: We have been friends a long time, and you have much more experience in all these things than I do!!!!! The honor will be mine and I'll try to come up, OK? -Andy
Send me the dates that you are thinking of, the last week of July I am usually busy with the family but I should be able to work around any other dates.

I'm thinking that a little salmon/sturgeon fishing may also be in order... :D

My wife just gave her approval as well...
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

wow grate post thanks for sharing..........makes me won't to hunt bear
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.