Question for real.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Question for real.....

Post by Ray »

guitar pickers here amongst us......

But first a little background......the lead guitarist of our church's praise band does a subtlety restrained overdriven bluesy zippity-doo-dah in between the singing but there are songs which something more primitive and twangy would be more appropriate. So I was asked to instruct him on the banjo but the problem is I am self-taught and don't play the ubiquitous conventional open g scrugg/reno style. So the guitarist aquires a six-string banjo in hopes that there would be no learning curve what with the same tuning as his les paul. Turns out the low e & a & d are heavy gauged and plunky sounding. So we experimented with lighter strings where the fatter were. Nashville tuning it is called. It is supposed to give a six string banjo the twang of a conventional banjo. Problem is the second string (b) is the same gauge/tuning octave as the old conventional tuning so that b is now oddly lower than the rest and sounds out of place. Which sets up the scenario for my question......

What string gauge/type would allow that 2nd string position tune a whole octave higher b ? Is this even possible ?

Hope to hear from member octagon who hasn't posted since 11 sept. last.
m.A.g.a. !
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question for real.....

Post by wecsoger »

Wowsers. That sure is a different question here. (grin)

'Nashville tuning' for guitar, grab a 12 string guitar pack and get the octave up strings for the lower E, A, D.

What you do for a banjo? No idea.

I'd just grab another pack of banjo strings and experiment with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings up an octave.

Or maybe the 3rd, 4th, 5th.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you can track down Boge Quinn on Facebook or elsewhere, he's surely know what you're talking about. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

wecsoger wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:17 pm Wowsers. That sure is a different question here. (grin)
"What's the difference between a large pepperoni pizza and a professional banjo player?"

This, coming from a keyboard player... And levergunner!

"Only the pizza can feed a family of four!"

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Q: What's the difference between a banjo player and a skunk, both dead in the middle of the road?
A: The skunk was on his way to a gig!

I'm a Strat guy so I'll leave it at this-
Q: What's the difference between a Stratocaster and a banjo.
A: The banjo has better sustain...