Thoughts on pocket knives.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thoughts on pocket knives.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Griff wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:35 pm Re: Thoughts on pocket knives: Never leave the house (actually bedroom) without one. You never have to hunt for a knife if it's with you all the time. If a knife is needed, even a poor excuse for one is better than not having one.
Good advice. If my britches are on, there’s a pocket knife in them. I only take it out at an airport or in the courthouse.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:16 am
Griff wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:35 pm Re: Thoughts on pocket knives: Never leave the house (actually bedroom) without one. You never have to hunt for a knife if it's with you all the time. If a knife is needed, even a poor excuse for one is better than not having one.
Good advice. If my britches are on, there’s a pocket knife in them. I only take it out at an airport or in the courthouse.
That's one reason we don't fly anymore! I hated having to pack my pocket knife in my baggage before a flight, and then not have it. Of course I can't pack my carry gun either, so that's equally annoying.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:35 am [

That's one reason we don't fly anymore! I hated having to pack my pocket knife in my baggage before a flight, and then not have it. Of course I can't pack my carry gun either, so that's equally annoying.
Nancy’s newest suitcase has a pocket for a portable battery right on top. I slip my knife in it right before entering the terminal. As soon as I get out of the terminal it’s right back where it belongs.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I keep several knifes close at hand. I have one in the pocket of the door in every vehicle I own. I did have a BUCK 110 but I recently lost it and cannot recall where or when I used it last. I have several Case and Old Timers that belonged to my dad and grandfather that I keep put up because I do tend to lose them so often. My EDC pocket knifes are typically a Case Trapper or a Buck Langford. I also keep one in my lunch box for work.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:35 am
Griff wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:35 pmRe: Thoughts on pocket knives: Never leave the house (actually bedroom) without one. You never have to hunt for a knife if it's with you all the time. If a knife is needed, even a poor excuse for one is better than not having one.
I'll have to check with my cousin about pocket knives before I next visit them in NZ. Last time was in 2000, before the madness set in. Of course, after winning the LOTTO, (that's when, not if! :lol: ) it'll be by yacht (mine), and everyone knows a sailor has to carry a knife!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:38 pm Ysable, that is a brilliant idea for a way to store knives. Where'd you get that magnetic rack?
Thanks! I got them from Harbor Freight. Picked up a bunch of them; use them for the knives, tools, etc.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ditto. And resent both for making me do so!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rube Burrows wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:12 pm
What brand is that lever automatic that you got when searching John Wayne's knife? Its a beauty.
It was made by AKC. European red stag handles. I really like it.

I bought it online from "3Knives", which is now "The Knife Shop".

https://www.knifeshop.com/en/home.html

Unfortunately they no longer have it available. I wish I had bought two.

BTW, the last one was also from 3Knives. :D
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:46 pm
Rube Burrows wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:12 pm
What brand is that lever automatic that you got when searching John Wayne's knife? Its a beauty.
It was made by AKC. European red stag handles. I really like it.

I bought it online from "3Knives", which is now "The Knife Shop".

https://www.knifeshop.com/en/home.html

Unfortunately they no longer have it available. I wish I had bought two.

BTW, the last one was also from 3Knives. :D
Thanks.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

The Buck 110 is a knife I've wanted for a long time, but somehow have never managed to acquire while up north. I carry a Puma stockman, similar to my grandpa's old Böker stockman that he carried everywhere. I've got that one, my aunt gave it to me after grandpa passed on. Every time I see it I'm reminded of my grandpa and it makes me wonder how many calves it steered, how many brook trout it cleaned, how many apples it peeled and what other tasks did he put it to? So the Puma rides with me and the Böker is in my drawer. These days, however, I often find myself reaching for a little Kershaw blade that shares pocket space with the Puma. It's handy as it's a one handed opener and closer, having a bolster liner lock and a stud to use to flick it open. Folks here think it odd that someone would carry a knife as they only see them as weapons. BUT when something needs cut, trimmed or opened they don't mind me helping out. Shucks, one time we were invited to an "asado" and the folks who invited us didn't have ANY kind of knife. So my Puma did the honors and they were able to divide up the meat and serve folks. One of the things I hate about air travel is that you've got to empty your pockets of anything useful. So when heading north I slip a Case trapper in my kit in my checked luggage so that I'll have a walking around knife when we finally get there.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Got my first knife at 4 years old. Only time I haven't had one on me since was in Basic Training. Lots of knives still in my possession. On me know is a Hofner in 440C. Had a few Kancept. Poor heat treatment. Won't hold an edge. Like Spyderco. Still have an old original Delica with serrated blade. It has been sharpened a few times. Still sharp as the day it was factory new. For just slicing, I like Mora knives. I can sharpen knives pretty well. Tycer can sharpen as well as anyone I know.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost