editing bloopers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

editing bloopers

Post by Grizz »

a good one from Feb 2019 Gun Digest Article >
Screenshot 2023-08-16 140122 gun digest editing blooper.png
I see poor editing every day, but this one is just plain stupid wrong, how did it get past the editor?

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns ... single-six

got any favorite copy edits?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: editing bloopers

Post by GunnyMack »

Because the " editor " uses a computer to check grammar and punctuation not content.
I really hate it when glaring mistakes make it to print. There are new gun people and they are given wrong info and ya get folks like those putting bullets into a cylinder and trying to get them to go off( as witnessed in another post here)

I read an article about testing buckshot, the author put together a table showing fps, load etc but failed to provide the size of buck used but it included the grain weight of a single pellet. Buckshot is by pellet count not weight!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

The writer of the article is clearly qualified to work for ATF.
NRA life member
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Our local newspaper often has bloopers that the proofreaders missed. Here's one of my favorites from way back in 2003:

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Judging by the number of grammar and spelling errors I see in online "news" content, I wonder if there are any editors out there at all anymore. I'm terrible at composition, so if I can see it there's no excuse for so-called professionals.

Handloader has gotten worse in recent years too.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I remember when read and its past tense were spelled the same. I heard some news on the radio recently say readed. Nauseated is still correct, but most people say nauseous. Nauseous is actually something which has the ability to cause nausea. An example: Looking at that nauseous face of Hillary Clinton leaves me nauseated.

My younger co-workers cannot understand how to pronounce new words. They do not know the VCV versus VCCV rule that used to be taught in Second Grade. They are unacquainted with the Latin and Greek roots of words. That used to be mandatory in Seventh Grade. I can confuse them completely by throwing in a little bit of French such as Aide de Camp, Bete Noir, Enfańt Terriblé, Forté, Nouveau, or any others of about 100 that were common in the 1940s and 1950s.
Our younger generation are ill prepared to run their own lives. Running the World will be beyond them because of indoctrination instead of schooling.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

These editing errors and the mistakes made by the writers are just signs of what has happened in the gun magazines in recent years. Less and less experienced shooters and true gun nuts writing articles. In the old days a gun writer might embellish things, and make many people say, "No way that happened!", but they got technical details right.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/