Opinions on .410 firearm options?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Opinions on .410 firearm options?

Post by Tycer »

I have an Iver Johnson Champion but it’s a full choke and I don’t want to open it up.

I like the idea of the Win 42
I seem to remember Old Ironsights having challenges with his 9410

Not interested in break action or semiautomatic.

Whatcha all think?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Opinions on .410 firearm options?

Post by gamekeeper »

The Winchester 42 has been on my bucket list for a long time but seldom found over here.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Yum ... Win 42. They are getting pricey though. Maybe an old Lefever double?

Didn't CZ make a Ring Neck or Sharp Tail 410 ... I forget what it was called?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Eddie Southgate
Levergunner

Post by Eddie Southgate »

A 42 by all means unless it strains your budget. I have the CZ over and under and love it. A Remington 1100 in .410 would be nice also. That said , I seldom shoot mine due to shells being so high and hard to locate. I shoot my 28 gauge CZ sbs instead. 28 gauge 1100's are extremely nice.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

you could have your .410 D/T for choke tubes.

I think that win 42 would have to be really really nice to warrent paying 4 times what you can get a mossberg for.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have an old High Standard Flite-King skeet gun, I shot lots of ducks with it using 3" #5( before non toxic)
A few years ago I added a CZ Ringneck ( I think) with fixed i/c & mod. It's killed a lot of pheasants and chukar!

If I were in the market I'd look for a Beretta 680 series 28/ 410 combo, a Browning Citori if I was wanting an O/U.
CZ for a juxtaposed.
Or a Browning BPS, 870, 1100 .
The 42s are pricey but as long as you don't abuse it it will certainly hold its value.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I’m partial to the Mossberg 500. My first shotgun was a 410 Mossy. Still have it and use it. It’s now 61 years old and other than keeping it clean and replacing the magazine spring (my fault it didn’t wear out) nothing else has been needed.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I think small frame .410 doubles are just sweet!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:08 pm I think small frame .410 doubles are just sweet!
My challenge with that my friend is my taste in sxs and superposed exceeds my wallet.
I’ve sold my last BLR and looking to get into a 410, MEC Jr and reloading components for my sales price.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:51 pm I’m partial to the Mossberg 500. My first shotgun was a 410 Mossy. Still have it and use it. It’s now 61 years old and other than keeping it clean and replacing the magazine spring (my fault it didn’t wear out) nothing else has been needed.
I still have my first shotgun. Mossy 500 (well, Western Field 550). Runs like new.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Was out with my mossy last night.
I have opened the choke. Much better!
IMG_20230822_174647.jpg
IMG_20230822_192913.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Until a couple weeks ago I had three 410 doubles . A Rizzini O/U with two triggers , a Crescent Arms SxS with two triggers and the old Iver Johnson Hercules SxS my mother gave my dad for Xmas when I was about 15 of course they were all used when we acquired them . My father never fired any of them but I have . I sold the Crescent to a friend of a friend a couple weeks ago . The Rizzini may go down the road soon but the IJ is sticking around a might longer .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Tycer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:13 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:08 pm I think small frame .410 doubles are just sweet!
My challenge with that my friend is my taste in sxs and superposed exceeds my wallet.
I’ve sold my last BLR and looking to get into a 410, MEC Jr and reloading components for my sales price.
I had a Browning Superposed BEGIUM made 410 that was skeet and skeet a few years . When I acquired it the gun was actually unfired in a Browning hard case it was made in 1970 . I shot it maybe 200 times in five years and sold it to a customer friend . At the time I had a circa 1970 28 Superposed to match it !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Tycer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:24 am I have an Iver Johnson Champion but it’s a full choke and I don’t want to open it up.

I like the idea of the Win 42
I seem to remember Old Ironsights having challenges with his 9410

Not interested in break action or semiautomatic.

Whatcha all think?
I bought a Marlin 410 back when they were first brought out on the 336 action . Gun was brand new and sat in the safe the first two or three years I had it . A friend was after me to shoot a skeet league with him so I took the little Marlin one night . Bear in mind the gun was unfired other than possible bay factory test shots . Anyway I shot two rounds of skeet with it and only missed the second shot at doubles three times and actually I didn’t miss the darn gun was so tight it was difficult to smoothly work the lever . Anyway I thought 47 out of fifty not bad , shortly after I sold the gun for a tidy profit .
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I still have my Marlin 410 along with a Baikal o/u and a Mossy 500 (still in the box). Prefer the O/U and will probably try and send the Marlin down the road this upcoming gun show. Had a 42 that was my Grandads, but it went down the road. He used it for bobwhite quail, but none around here. Shells are expensive, but have made some with 9.3x74r brass that seem to work pretty well.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Most may already know this but at some point Mossberg went from a single action bar to double action bars. If you’re looking for a replacement fore grip make sure you get the correct one.

I’m not sure why they went to double bars. I suppose the myth that single bar guns can bind might have driven the decision. But the truth is binding, if it does occur isn’t a gun problem it’s an operator one.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:32 pm
I had a Browning Superposed BEGIUM made 410 that was skeet and skeet a few years . When I acquired it the gun was actually unfired in a Browning hard case it was made in 1970 . I shot it maybe 200 times in five years and sold it to a customer friend . At the time I had a circa 1970 28 Superposed to match it !
I love the Browning Superposed. Probably as much the story of the gun as the gun itself.
Kind regards,
Tycer
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Tycer wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:01 am
6pt-sika wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:32 pm
I love the Browning Superposed. Probably as much the story of the gun as the gun itself.
I can honestly say I’ve never had a Belgium made Brownimg Superposed in my hands that I didn’t shoot well . And I’ve had them all 12-20-28 and 410 . Now with that being said I e has quite a few Citori’s in my hands that I also shot well.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The Henry 410 lever is a good gun.I had the win94/410 and I think the Henry is a more solid and reliable lever in 410.For better patterns get the version with the 24inch barrel and screw in chokes .The only thing though with the Henry your limited to 2 1/2 inch shells.

My current 410 is this TPS M6 410/410 .Just a fun little gun to play with
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.