reading scripture ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

reading scripture ?

Post by Grizz »

Besides singing great hymns and psalms I worship as I read scripture. And noticed the connection between the words scripture and script and prescription, so here's a heart medicine prescription that helps . . .

2 Peter Chapter 1 the whole thing. I tried to parse it finer and could not find anywhere to cut out anything. A link >
https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/2pe/1/1/s_1157001 this "app" has almost every study aide available, this is where I start
In my pastor's bible studies there are many "versions" of scripture at the table. when I read scripture I start by saying " I am reading from the Authorized Bible". This usually gets a couple of chuckles, but I am intentional about what I read and when. . It is the work of Holy Spirit to guide us into all Truth, and the purpose of knowing The Truth is explained in this chapter that Peter wrote...
Preface
Now the Bereans were more noble-minded than the Thessalonians,
for they received the message with great eagerness
and examined the Scriptures every day
to see if these teachings were true.
– Acts 17:11
if someone gets this far feel free to post up whatever scripture is speaking to you these days, like songs, scripture is medicine prescribed by Creator.
JimT
Shootist

Re: reading scripture ?

Post by JimT »

I try to follow the only inspired, inerrant, infallible Word of God.
When He was a teenager he worked in a carpenter shop and grew a beard.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I enjoyed reading Isaiah chapter 55 today.
Recently enjoyed the letters of Peter also.
New world translation and Byington version.
N👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

For my reading this week I have read I and II Corinthians and Galatians. Beginning Ephesians. All in The Mirror Study Bible.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

JimT wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:27 pm For my reading this week I have read I and II Corinthians and Galatians. Beginning Ephesians. All in The Mirror Study Bible.
Paul's style of writing is immensely intoxicating I find Jim. The way he reasons with logic etc.
How would you explain his style of writing Jim?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nath wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:01 pm
JimT wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:27 pm For my reading this week I have read I and II Corinthians and Galatians. Beginning Ephesians. All in The Mirror Study Bible.
Paul's style of writing is immensely intoxicating I find Jim. The way he reasons with logic etc.
I don't know that I can. :) For one thing, he was educated with both a Hebrew and Greek cultural background. I have neither. And he said his theology was given him directly from God. No human taught it to him. So there is that 'other-world' aspect to his writings.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

JimT wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:06 pm
Nath wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:01 pm
I don't know that I can. :) For one thing, he was educated with both a Hebrew and Greek cultural background. I have neither. And he said his theology was given him directly from God. No human taught it to him. So there is that 'other-world' aspect to his writings.
Yes absolutely inspired.
Think he had Roman citizenship also.
Best wishes.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Many thanks for the input y'all, I really appreciate it and enjoy thinking through Peter's instructions.

my first post sent me off on a deep dive looking for language information. >> http://storage.cloversites.com/koinemin ... nswers.pdf

This is a tool to simplify understanding "basic" koine, with an explanation of where it came from.

using strongs is useful, sort of, but the translations from greek into english are based on the inflected or conjugated form of words.. the grammar gives the meaning of the word, rarely the uninflected root.
002.png
I can't read greek without a transliteration, but I can see that the last two letters of the inflected word are different than the last two letters of the root. that suffix tells a LOT about the root that's in strongs, but the root doesn't explain the meaning of the word. that comes from the grammar. I love the narrative about Alexander the Great in the Manual...

this explains why there are "translations" and "versions" that are not true scripture...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've read the Bible before, but this year started a "Bible in a Year" study that is simply fantastic! I look forward every day to the readings and the discussion of those readings, and have gotten so much more than when I read it through by myself. I highly recommend this to all!
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

From Psalm 144...

{144:5} Bow thy heavens, O LORD, and come down: touch the mountains,
and they shall smoke.
{144:6} Cast forth lightning, and scatter them: shoot out thine arrows,
and destroy them.
{144:7} Send thine hand from above; rid me, and deliver me out of great
waters, from the hand of strange children;
{144:8} Whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand [is] a right
hand of falsehood.

Seems the part about strange children may resonate.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

PriseDeFer wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:04 pm From Psalm 144...

{144:5} Bow thy heavens, O LORD, and come down: touch the mountains,
and they shall smoke.
{144:6} Cast forth lightning, and scatter them: shoot out thine arrows,
and destroy them.
{144:7} Send thine hand from above; rid me, and deliver me out of great
waters, from the hand of strange children;
{144:8} Whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand [is] a right
hand of falsehood.

Seems the part about strange children may resonate.
Yes psalms are completely amazing . . . good listening at bedtime
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:17 pm I've read the Bible before, but this year started a "Bible in a Year" study that is simply fantastic! I look forward every day to the readings and the discussion of those readings, and have gotten so much more than when I read it through by myself. I highly recommend this to all!
Thanks. It's good to have a plan, but to not neglect the deep dives too.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Grizz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:15 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:17 pm I've read the Bible before, but this year started a "Bible in a Year" study that is simply fantastic! I look forward every day to the readings and the discussion of those readings, and have gotten so much more than when I read it through by myself. I highly recommend this to all!
Thanks. It's good to have a plan, but to not neglect the deep dives too. BlueLetterBible has some reading plans and maybe groups also, not sure.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for the Mirror reference. Checking it out.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I tend to read through the Bible each year. I don’t have a real plan other than to go sequentially through it. But each time I find something that I missed on the previous time through.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:35 am I tend to read through the Bible each year. I don’t have a real plan other than to go sequentially through it. But each time I find something that I missed on the previous time through.
Scott, that is how I did it the first time, cover to cover, straight through. Sometimes confusing, as you read different versions of the same events. Even in the same books, sometimes they are not presented in chronological order. That is where a study bible or bible plan works really well, and for me anyway, I found it helps me understand so much more. :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

There are a couple of chronological bibles. It un-mixes up the historical accounts into a sequence, and it makes for a great narrative read and gives whole new meaning to a lot of the epic stories that are scattered through the canon. I can recommend it to anyone who likes to read through cover to cover.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am

Scott, that is how I did it the first time, cover to cover, straight through. Sometimes confusing, as you read different versions of the same events. Even in the same books, sometimes they are not presented in chronological order. That is where a study bible or bible plan works really well, and for me anyway, I found it helps me understand so much more. :D
It was confusing the first couple of times, but it isn’t anymore. I think I’m on my 8th or 9th trip through but I don’t really know. It speeds up quite a bit when I hit the New Testament.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

https://www.biblegateway.com/reading-pl ... ersion=KJV

This is a one-year chronological reading plan. You can start on today's passages, and progress one day at a time for the overarching historical narrative.
https://www.biblegateway.com/reading-pl ... rsion=NKJV
This is a 61 day reading plan with, I would say, a curated index, and I don't know what they left out, but it's at least a fly-over that bears investigation.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/dailyreading/

the blueletter bible is my constant study spot and I highly recommend it for the high road trails. BUT they want your email before they will send their chronological reading plan to you. Grrr If you bookmark this link it will walk you through the canon in a year.

It is worth pondering how our Creator managed to get a reliable and trustworthy copy of His ancient Word to us, when the entire world is full of lies, liars, compromises, deceptions, and just plain wickedness. A principle I was taught early on is that the Bible explains and interprets the Bible, and the entire canon is redemptive. This is so simple that even a little child can understand it, even I :)

Blessings Y'all !

grizz
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:45 am It speeds up quite a bit when I hit the New Testament.
It sure does!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Two-Lines-of-Bible-Manuscripts.png
I hear lots of questions about the different versions, the info-graphic explains it better than I can. I study the Authorized Bible and I use other ones when I get questions about them. I am fond of reading the Geneva out loud, try it, you can listen to it online. I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.