Back home again...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Back home again...

Post by Ysabel Kid »

...in Indiana.

As many of you will recall, I lost a younger brother in December 2020 to a heart attack, and Mom passed away last April. We had decided to intern both of their ashes at my father's gravesite where I grew up north of Indianapolis. Dad died in 1981, and it has always bothered me that we had all moved away and he was there alone. So I redesigned the headstone to include my Mom and a reference to my brother. Even late in COVID it took months for the granite to come in, but the monument guy did fantastic work and was very reasonable. We finally found a weekend that would work for my other brother and sister, and it was last weekend over Labor Day.

We had about 20 people attend, friends we grew up with and some I had not seen for 3 decades. It was a nice ceremony.

Of course, apparently I always have to add some comic relief even to situations like this. When we were done my brother and I went to lower the vault into the grave, where they had dug a hole about 2-ft by 2-ft by 3 ft deep. Well, we couldn't drop it, so got down to lower it in as gently as possible. I put my left hand on the edge of the hole to stabilize myself, and as we were lowering the vault... the edge gave way. I darn near went head-first into the hole. Fortunately a friend of mine grabbed my collar to prevent me from going all the way in! Well, my brother immediately says "if you had fallen in I would have asked them to bury you and we could have got a 4 for 1!". That's my brother for you! :lol:

We retreated to a local establishment for some drinks and to catch up (it was hotter in IN than in SC that weekend!). It was so nice to catch up. The one thing I noticed when I was up there, unrelated to my visit's purpose, was how nice everyone was. In every place we went. I forgot that about IN. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Back home again...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you gotta be buried, Indiana is not a bad place… glad you guys got some good closure and family/friend time.

Crown Hill cemetery is an historic wonderland and military history treasure.

Try not to fall in the grave until your turn, though… :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A sad occasion but an opportunity to be together with family and friends is bound to have its "less sad" moments but Jay falling into the hole is not supposed to be one of them. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Visiting with family is almost always a good time... even when it might seem like it should be... Glad you had a good trip, but have to agree with Doc... wait your turn.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Events like that with family and friends can be stressful. I'm glad it worked out well for you, Jay. Coming back home is always a relief, at least for me.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sounds like a nice thing to do. Your brother's sense of humor sounds a lot like mine. I probably would have said something similar.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

😀
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:28 am A sad occasion but an opportunity to be together with family and friends is bound to have its "less sad" moments but Jay falling into the hole is not supposed to be one of them. :D
Knowing Jay, I don't think he "fell" -- he might have been pushed!!! :wink:

Nice sentiments in your story Jay; bittersweet, but nice. Glad you're Dad is not alone for eternity.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well done, Jay. And I am one who believes your Dad, Mom and brother were watching with love -- probably giggling when you almost fell in. 8)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:49 am Well done, Jay. And I am one who believes your Dad, Mom and brother were watching with love -- probably giggling when you almost fell in. 8)
I know they were! :lol: