Bullet ID

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Bullet ID

Post by GunnyMack »

I just ran across these, 358 " 158 gr half jacket bullets. I got them in a lot of all kinds of reloading stuff someone gave me .
Anyhow do any of you know who made these?
20230910_121156.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Bullet ID

Post by Rockrat »

IIRC, Speer made them
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

They look like the old Speer bullet ... but could have been made on someone's swaging tools because reloaders in those days were experimenting with that. This type of half-jacket was notorious for leading the barrel when loading them with high velocity loads.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Yes sir and if you run them at target wadcutter speeds, they can leave that little half jacket halfway down the bore while the lead continues on to fool you by poking a hole in the target.

Found that out about 1976...
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Something made me think Speer, probably the old 110 gr M1 Carbine bullet.
Well thats an eye opener! These might have to get tossed in the lead pot !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Yep, looks like the old "Half-Jacket" bullet. The later ones had a nearly full jacket (2/3's?), though they've been discontinued for a while too. Wish they still made 'em.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

That's not one of the Speer bullets, at least not the 146gr HP or 160 SWC. Doesn't look like something Speer made. Might be home made. The Speer bullets had a copper cup that covered the entire bearing surface. Wish they still made the 160 SWC one!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

1894cfan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:35 pm That's not one of the Speer bullets, at least not the 146gr HP or 160 SWC. Doesn't look like something Speer made. Might be home made. The Speer bullets had a copper cup that covered the entire bearing surface. Wish they still made the 160 SWC one!
These are quite old, weigh 158grs. It's possible they are homemade , not in a box when I got them so we will never know.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

From the size of the copper cup they shouldn't have been larger than 110 or 125gr. Maybe the size of Lee's 105gr SWC.