Big Horn Armory Model 89

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Big Horn Armory Model 89

Post by EG73 »

Not getting one, but curious - would you go 18 or 22” barrel option if ordering one? I like the look of both fairly equally, but with slight lean towards 22”.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Big Horn Armory Model 89

Post by Rockrat »

If I was ordering one, it would be the 22" barrel version
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

20" would be ideal, not sure if they would do it or not?
If I was ordering one I think I'd go with the 460.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My 18" 'carbine' holds plenty of rounds (6+1 I think) and packs plenty of punch. I doubt the extra few inches would be all that advantageous ballistically given the fat straight walled cartridge that was originally designed for handgun length barrels. Even if so, if you look at the ballistics from their website, I can't imagine really needing that extra tiny bit of power for anything I'd shoot at.

Similar heft and feel (for the carbine version) as a Marlin Guide Gun but I feel MUCH more comfy firing 4,000 ft-lb loads from it than the Marlin. Recoil not bothersome. A bit shorter than a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag.

Beautiful wood and the nitrided stainless is matte no glare and indestructible.

Cost - my most expensive firearm ever. But I wanted a gun capable of taking the cape buffalo I'm pretty sure hang out back by the pond behind our (Indiana) house. (Hey, you can't be too careful...!)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I just received mine (500S&W) with a 16” barrel. Ordered it just over a year ago. It feels and balances perfectly in the hand. I have a few different load to try this weekend. Like all the big bore Leverguns and revolvers, they will have NO problem as a large game hunting primary tool. I truly love lever guns, but only hunt with handguns, so unless I take it to Canada, I may never know. I’m sure a 16” barrel will consume a full powder charge before it exits the barrel.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I looked at both, always prefer longer barrels personally. Less blast
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Bearskinner wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:47 am I just received mine (500S&W) with a 16” barrel. Ordered it just over a year ago. It feels and balances perfectly in the hand. I have a few different load to try this weekend. Like all the big bore Leverguns and revolvers, they will have NO problem as a large game hunting primary tool. I truly love lever guns, but only hunt with handguns, so unless I take it to Canada, I may never know. I’m sure a 16” barrel will consume a full powder charge before it exits the barrel.
I look forward to seeing the results you experience!

Please take photos as well.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

ImageI’ve only fired a few rounds, no bench rest shooting, and I’m thinking of having a scout scope QD set up for precise longer shots. The peep and green fiber optic bead are phenomenal . I cast 400’s ( mainly for the 500JRH’s I hunt with) and a 460 grain LFN GC that should be dandy in a carbine length lever gun load. It’s a “different looking” style of lever gun, more of a tool or toy, than the pretty fancy wood. As a plus, I was able to get serial number 007.

IMG_3934.png
IMG_3933.png
IMG_3933.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I like it!

My favorite guns are tools that I use all the time.
joepb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by joepb »

Mine has a 18" barrel, and I like it. For me short barrels on a levergun just seems correct.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

As I use Single Actions for most things, I prefer shorter Lever guns as well. There’s something just very cool about antiques with long Octagon barrels and full length tubes, but these handy .500+ calibers in carbine length just make me grin.

IMG_3939.jpeg
IMG_3940.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I can sure see distance easily with this 2.75 Burris scout scope on it! It doesn’t quite look right, but it should help 100 yard groupings. I’ve got a mess of H110 loads (BHA recommendation) and I made up some SR4759 loads
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Without looking at Big Horn's website, I believe they offer barrels as long as 24". If I ever bought one, that's what it would sport in 500S&W.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Even with some of the higher powered Buffalo bore loads, The recoil of my 18-in carbine model 89 seems no different than a Marlin Guide Gun, or a 20 gauge shotgun with slugs. It would be in my "if I could only have xx # of firearms" battery down to the last 5 or 6*. Definitely one of the

Essential Levergun calibers:

22 LR - Ruger 96/22
357 Mag - Marlin 1894
500 S&W - BHA 89

*Much as I like the 'rifle' cartridge leverguns like 30-30, 35 Rem, 375 Win, 444 Marlin, and 45-70, if I were thinning the herd to the extreme I'd use bolt actions for the bottleneck cartridges (and the 500 S&W fills the 444arlin & 45/70 niche).

Essential Bolt Action calibers:

22 LR - Ruger 77/22
6mm Rem - Ruger M77V
375 Ruger - Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan

and Semiautos would be:

22 LR - Ruger 10/22
5.56 NATO - Aero AR-15 18" HBAR
7.62 NATO - Springfield M1A Scout

and Revolvers:

22 LR - NAA Pug 22LR/WRM 1"
357 Mag - Ruger Speed Six 3"
44 Mag - Ruger Redhawk 7"

and Pistols:

22 LR - Ruger Mk 3/45
9mm - Glock 17
45 ACP - Para Ord P-14

and 'Other':

300 Blk - Aero AR 15 8" (SBR)
12 Ga - Mossberg 500
12 Ga - Saiga 12

So how anyone could get much under 18 I'll never know... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "