Hatfield family photo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Hatfield family photo

Post by Pat C »

Inspired by post on Colt Forum, figured this was a good place for this as well. Courtesy of Virginia Historical society.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hatfield family photo

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wonderful stuff!
A high school friend's quite elderly grandfather (Mr. Golden Land was probably close to 90 when I knew him in 1970 and heard him tell this story) grew up in West Virginia and as a boy, once found himself on a train car that included old Devil Anse himself. When the conductor got to their seat, the conductor said "Now Devil Anse, I know you are carrying a revolver and you must give me the cylinder and I will return it when you get off the train." Devil Anse pulled a Colt out of his vest, dutifully removed the cylinder, removed the cartridges and handed it to the conductor. After the conductor had passed, he reached into a pocket, grabbed a second cylinder, loaded it and slipped it into his revolver, with a wink at our storyteller, who proved to be a trustworthy young co-conspirator.
When Devil Anse got to his destination, the conductor handed him back the cylinder as promised -- and he gave it to our storyteller. My high school chum still has it on his desk up on the Olympic Peninsula. I believe it is in .38-40.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Here is a photo of my GG grandfather and his wife Rachel Toler. He was Devil Anse's uncle and the reason Anse and Uncle Jim Vance left the Confederate army.
Slater Jim and wife.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Bob, this is awesome. Thank you for posting.
I'll tell you if I am ever near Logan County, WV, I will very surely stop and pay my respects at the Hatfield family cemetery.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Here are two pages from Coleman Hatfield's book about Anse. It tells the story of my GG grandfather and how Anse saved him from being shot by firing squad.
Slater Jim story page 1.jpg
Slater Jim story page 2.jpg
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Bob , Thank you for sharing some of your family history. I'm assuming the old homeplace seen in this photo is no longer standing ? Seems like the old double dovetail log cabin was sided later on .
Last edited by Pat C on Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joepb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by joepb »

Brothers Emanuel Hatfield and Armstead Apperson Hatfield.jpg
This is my Hatfield relatives..............Joe
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Pat C wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:19 pm Bob , Thank you for sharing some of your family history. I'm assuming the old homeplace seen in this photo is no longer standing ? Seems like the old double dovetail log cabin was sided later on .
I really wouldn't know about the log cabin or where exactly it was located. I bet Barwood Builders would like to know LOL.

Bob
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

joepb wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:47 pm Brothers Emanuel Hatfield and Armstead Apperson Hatfield.jpg

This is my Hatfield relatives..............Joe
Looks like they have their assault weapons for sure.

Bob
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

No chinking in between those logs....bet it got COLD
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Newspaper as wallpaper inside glued on with a cornstarch paste blocks the wind pretty well LOL.

When I was 11 the old man bought two houses for $35 each to tear down for the lumber as the Federal Govt bought them out to put in a dam. The insides were all wallpapered with newspapers from the 1930's. Did you know that you could buy a 1937 Hudson automobile for $750? My job was pulling rusty nails out of the Chesnut boards. Wasn't long before I stepped on a rusty nail and drove it through my worn-out canvas gym shoes and the old man having to take me to the local Dr.

Still have a kink in my neck from trying to read the sideways papers.
Bob