Broke my Dillon!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Broke my Dillon!

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I cannot tell you how many rounds I’ve loaded on this press. Might be over 100,000

So I was having trouble seating primers. The handle part was gradually giving way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Broke my Dillon!

Another photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’m gonna box it up and send it back to Dillon and have them go through the whole press.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

They had me take off everything that could be taken off to repair mine as it was very sloppy and wouldn't align properly. Don't be surprised if you get a new unit back. They upgraded my 550B to the 550C.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never had any issues with my Dillion But Lyman made good on their products.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow.

I hope I live long enough to break mine....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I did a conversion on one of mine that replaced the main pivot shaft with one that had a grease fitting. I had to hammer on it so hard to remove the old secondary pins that I was afraid it would break. Thankfully it didn't. Thank you, Dillon!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Walt wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:19 pm I did a conversion on one of mine that replaced the main pivot shaft with one that had a grease fitting. I had to hammer on it so hard to remove the old secondary pins that I was afraid it would break. Thankfully it didn't. Thank you, Dillon!
I bought the conversion but I haven’t installed it. I think I’ll let them do it.

Thanks for the reminder.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:54 pm .
Wow.

I hope I live long enough to break mine....!
I was thinking the same thing! Those Dillon presses are built like tanks! :shock:
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I broke the "crank" on a Dillon 550 that I bought back in the early 80s. Probably had 80,000 plus rnds. Also, broke the same part on a Dillon Square Deal B with considerably less rnds thru it. Have two of each, so no loading down time.

Stuff happens.

Dillon's warranty has been unbeatable over the years.

Highly recommend their products - they have allowed me to shoot a great deal more than I otherwise would have been able.

Paul
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I don’t want to appear to be complaining. I’ve owned this machine for more than half of my life. It’s been a great help to me and if I had to, I’d buy another one just like it!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I bought a 650 with all the bells and whistles and it never would seat primers and the powder check station would not stay in adjustment. I went through a lot of wasted time with customer service and finally sent it back and they sent it back still not working. After way too much baloney from them they finally took it back for a refund. The no BS guarantee is BS in my book.
I replaced it with a Hornady Lock and Load and have been happy for 10 + years. As far as I am concerned Dillons are great boat anchors.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had to send mine back about 5-6 years ago. Not only did they send me a whole new one but a big box of spare parts came with it.
Every time I've had to contact Dillon, which has been few and far between, their customer service people have been first rate!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:00 am I don’t want to appear to be complaining. I’ve owned this machine for more than half of my life. It’s been a great help to me and if I had to, I’d buy another one just like it!
Never entered my mind. Only wanted to add that in my experience, high useage mechanical things can and do break. I've even broken things on Freedom Arms revolvers. Even the best of products occasionally spit out a lemon and high useage causes wear that will eventually result in failure.

Paul
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

buckeyeshooter wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:39 amI bought a 650 with all the bells and whistles and it never would seat primers and the powder check station would not stay in adjustment. I went through a lot of wasted time with customer service and finally sent it back and they sent it back still not working. After way too much baloney from them they finally took it back for a refund. The no BS guarantee is BS in my book.
I replaced it with a Hornady Lock and Load and have been happy for 10 + years. As far as I am concerned Dillons are great boat anchors.
I would say that your experience was an anomaly. With 2 550s and probably a couple hundred thousand rounds between them, I can honestly say the only machine that holds a candle to the Dillon is my RockChucker for ruggedness and versatility, speed... not so much! PS, there's a good reason the 650 was replaced with the 750... albeit, IMO, far too late.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I bought the progressive because I started CAS and was shooting 500 rounds a week of handgun and 100 of shotgun. I did a match both Saturday and Sunday, then practice on Wednesday. I still use my Lyman Spar-T that I bought in the Expert kit back in 1978. I still use it for all my hunting loads. I replaced that Dillon with a Lock and Load and it has worked fine.
The part that really upset me with Dillon is I sent it back to the factory to get it running and it returned with the exact same issues and it looked like no one even made any effort to fix it. Then the attempt to get me to trade it for a 550, which is little to zero improvement over the Lyman I had been using for 30 years. I had to go round and round with Mike Dillon to get rid of it. I am still not a happy camper with them today some 20 years later.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I contacted Dillon today to ask about sending the machine back to them. I just realized that I have an old Square Deal that I ought to send in to be refurbished. I haven’t used it in many years simply because I prefer the 550
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

From the back side it is even worse!!!!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This appears to have been broken for a significant amount of time. But now I have some time to load and my machine is down!!!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I callled Dillon and they gave me a return number and instructions to send the press back.

They told me that the lifetime warranty means lifetime and it doesn’t matter that I bought the press in the 1980s. They will take it completely apart and give it a chemical bath, but it all back together with whatever replacement parts are needed and send it back to me. They said it would take a week and a half to two weeks.

All I have to pay for is shipping to Scottsdale.

Can’t complain about that.

So I boxed it up this morning and sent it off!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:09 am I callled Dillon and they gave me a return number and instructions to send the press back.

They told me that the lifetime warranty means lifetime and it doesn’t matter that I bought the press in the 1980s. They will take it completely apart and give it a chemical bath, but it all back together with whatever replacement parts are needed and send it back to me. They said it would take a week and a half to two weeks.

All I have to pay for is shipping to Scottsdale.

Can’t complain about that.

So I boxed it up this morning and sent it off!
That's what they told me when I sent mine back a couple of years ago... and if they did all that to mine... somehow it came back looking suspiciously like a brand new 550C! They've even warrantied some parts on the other 550B I have, even after I informed them I'm the second owner.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I was not expecting that! (runs off to look at back side of 550...)
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

samsi wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:15 pm I was not expecting that! (runs off to look at back side of 550...)
I didn’t either! But it sounds like all will be back to normal soon
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Dillon will make it right. I own 2 SDBs and wore out the one set up for for large pistol primers. They "rebuilt" it but it may as well be a new machine at no cost.

Eric
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I just got notification that Dillon is shipping my press back to me.

I didn’t expect it that quickly!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya can't beat that! Dillon is the best at customer service hands down. If only other companies would take a page from Dillon's play book the world would be a better place.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

That was really fast service
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:48 pmYa can't beat that! Dillon is the best at customer service hands down. If only other companies would take a page from Dillon's play book the world would be a better place.
Not to be political about it... but if only our Gubmint reacted in its' citizens best interests like that!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

When you think about how the government extracts resources from us, why should it treat us any better than a milk cow?
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I always thought the guebermit treated us like mushrooms. Kept in the dark and pooped on us!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:56 amWhen you think about how the government extracts resources from us, why should it treat us any better than a milk cow?
If a milk cow, I'd expect BETTER treatment! :cry:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Griff wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:37 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:56 amWhen you think about how the government extracts resources from us, why should it treat us any better than a milk cow?
If a milk cow, I'd expect BETTER treatment! :cry:
I certainly treat my cows better
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

My Dillon should be delivered tomorrow.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Delivered!!!!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

It’s my machine all right but I don’t think it’s ever been this pretty!

It’s up and running and much smoother than when I sent it off. I’m really very happy with Dillon’s customer service.