Westley Richards Enfield Sporting rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Westley Richards Enfield Sporting rifle

Post by barbarossa »

Has anyone ever seen a Westley Richards Enfield sporting rifle in 303brit like this.I figure probably a gun made for the average Joe blow.Still it is an interesting rifle.I’m thinking it would go great with my BSA Lee Speed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Westley Richards Enfield Sporting rifle

Post by gamekeeper »

A very nice rifle you have found there, I was so gobsmacked by all the shooting irons they had at Westley Richards I honestly can not remember that one but assume there must have been one or two.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Reminds me of some the some of the converted "surplus" or "obsolete" Lee Enfields that saw at the gun shows more than a few years ago. Nice looking rifle and Westley Richards did fine work.

I noticed the brass disc in the butt stock. Any engraving on it? The reverse may have engraving as to what unit the rifle was assigned to. I believe up until about WW1 this was common practice in the British Army. If memory serves me, the practice was dropped so as not to provide information to enemy as to what UK unit/units were in the area.
Again nice looking rifle.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

It s not mine yet but it is for sale and I m thinking about picking it up.I love the history of these old classic guns
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Looks like a good hunting companion
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It's beautiful in my eyes. Nearly 140 years later and there are still no flies on the .303.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I m planning on buying it as a mate to my Lee Speed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Looks like a very basic reworked Enfield using a lot of the original stock. I think you're right about it being tailored towards the average guy, vs. the usual Westley Richards high end builds. There was a time when these rifles were extremely cheap, and plentiful as surplus, so a lot of them got semi sporterized.
I've got a Pattern 17 US Enfield built by Remington that I bought already sporterized about 45 years ago. .30-06 with a Douglas barrel, and only the safety and rollstamp left to give a clue of it's beginnings. It's taken dozens of deer and a few elk over those years.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks like a FAJEN stock too?!

We literally had 55 gallon drums full of Mauser K98s, P14s at school the students could buy as donors actions.

Those Oldies are still goodies!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I've heard of several old time hunters that eventually tried some the pencil calibers, then went back to their original 303 because it always killed game, usually dead right there! Never had one but I wish I did!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:20 pm Looks like a FAJEN stock too?!

We literally had 55 gallon drums full of Mauser K98s, P14s at school the students could buy as donors actions.

Those Oldies are still goodies!
Seems there were more Pattern 14's made than 17's? At least I used to see far more in .303 than .30-06. I'm pretty sure both are the same actions, just different chamberings?
Fred Wells used up as many as he could find to build his custom .500 Wells big game rifles. He felt they were the strongest bolt action ever made, and once he couldn't find them anymore he went to a custom built action for his rifles.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One of my classmates developed a nipple with a check valve( he didn't pursue it to patent/sell) to prevent blow back and it worked very well. He used a Mauser 98 with a .50 smooth bore for testing. It easily burned hundreds of grains of black with multiple balls and no gas leaving the nipple end. It wasn't until something like 300 grains of powder, half a dozen balls and a bolt welded in the end that the action let go... it wrecked the vise in the underground test fire chamber! The Mauser is a strong action !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!