speaking of shotgun slugs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

speaking of shotgun slugs

Post by Grizz »

4_20 Ga slug.jpg
something like this 328 grain .50 slug would put a hurt on most anything.
might really B something from the 16 inch H&R . . .
4_20Ga Winch Slug TKO.png

If I can get the laser taped on just right . . . . LOL

grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: speaking of shotgun slugs

Post by GunnyMack »

I shoot the Remington 3" Acutips from my Savage 220, can't tell you how many deer the 385gr .58 has gone through. I've only recovered 1 20ga and never a Foster type from when I used a 12ga.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:23 pm I shoot the Remington 3" Acutips from my Savage 220, can't tell you how many deer the 385gr .58 has gone through. I've only recovered 1 20ga and never a Foster type from when I used a 12ga.
Hey Thanks ! I consider my shorty an essential item in my tool bag when traveling. I have a #1 buck mold and when I start casting lead that's my first project. .30 caliber BBs for the 20. Lotsa Fun!

grizz
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:23 pm I shoot the Remington 3" Acutips from my Savage 220, can't tell you how many deer the 385gr .58 has gone through. I've only recovered 1 20ga and never a Foster type from when I used a 12ga.
Nothing against the 3” but I use/used the 2 3/4” version in the 220 I have with excellent results on paper and brown cloven hooved rats . In my double barrels I’ve cast slugs for the 8 , 10 , 12 , 16 , 20 and the 28 . And inside my parameters they all were up to the grade .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve got a Belgian Browning A5 20 magnum that I have three barrels for of which one is the Browning rifle sighted slug barrel . It wasn’t overly terrible or great with buckshot and foster type slugs , but I got some Brenneke slugs and it shot like a rifle out to fifty yards (didn’t try it any further).
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

6pt-sika wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:47 pm I’ve got a Belgian Browning A5 20 magnum that I have three barrels for of which one is the Browning rifle sighted slug barrel . It wasn’t overly terrible or great with buckshot and foster type slugs , but I got some Brenneke slugs and it shot like a rifle out to fifty yards (didn’t try it any further).
thanks. if I ever stumble on a rifled 20Ga barrel for my H&R I'll grab it. although I have other stuff around in case something is more than a boat length away . . . >LOL
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I got my 220 just after Savage released them. THE slug was the Remington 3" so that's what I bought and shot all these years. I never tried anything else until this past summer I started 'rollin my own' from Ballistic Products I got 50 Thug Slugs and 100 sabots and copper hp's. The copper slugs don't shoot for beans with any powders I have. Then I got a box of .500 pistol bullets to try in the sabots and im just burning powder.
With the Thug slug I was getting leading so I tried powder coating, that added too much to the O.D. of the slug plus the hull and they wont chamber. So I finally broke out the liquid alox and BINGO!- no leading and 3" groups at 50. I can live with that whereas the Remington slugs do half that at 100 if I domy part.
Oh, here is one that didn't exit but I didn't recover.
20190202_173407.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had a 20ga Encore that really liked the old Remington Buckhammer slugs. They were a very strange slug, full diameter nose then stepped down , almost shaped like a T. No hollow base.
I made a sling for the Encore with 3 shell loops that when you slid your hand back to the pivot the fresh ammo was right there to pluck out and drop a fresh one in the pipe. It was fast enough that once I shot 2 does and my buddy called me to ask what gun I had, he though I had my Benelli!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:04 pm I had a 20ga Encore that really liked the old Remington Buckhammer slugs. They were a very strange slug, full diameter nose then stepped down , almost shaped like a T. No hollow base.
I made a sling for the Encore with 3 shell loops that when you slid your hand back to the pivot the fresh ammo was right there to pluck out and drop a fresh one in the pipe. It was fast enough that once I shot 2 does and my buddy called me to ask what gun I had, he though I had my Benelli!
good info. I just got back from a big box store with some 20 Ga 3" "truball" slugs, 328 Gr at 1700 according to the box. TKO 39.
4_20Ga Federal 3-inch 50 cal slug TKO-39 .png
That makes a lotta super-duper maganumbs look anemic. My guess is the lead is too soft to hold up to the collision, but who knows. Something to experiment with. Looks like a fight-stopper to me. There were a couple of comments about useful accuracy to 50 yards, but of course any computer can write that kind of stuff. I will have to find the chrono, put batteries in it and try not to hit it . . . my Pardner ejects the loaded round about 4 feet.

A while back I found that I could hold 3 rounds between the off hand fingers . .. that got the rate of fire up for a few seconds, it was reloading the fingers that slowed things down again.

https://www.federalpremium.com/shotshel ... 03+RS.html
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

speaking of 20 ga things,
4_Stevens 320 thumbhole stock pump.png
does thumbhole mean it's not a pistol grip to kalis?

Is this legal in Canada? I have a 12 Ga with this exact same sight set up, perfect for my eyes.
I am tending away from 12 and into 20 because it suits me. And no I don't think this is a long
slide into a taurus 410 :!: :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Got a buddy that shoots the Federal truball for deer and has not had a complaint from any deer!

Dunno about the left coast ruling on a thumb hole vs pistol grip.

On our 100-150 lbs deer, heck even bears now a slug is more than sufficient. Our bears are trash can diners and some are well over 350 lbs and bigger. Those that have shot some approaching 5-600(honestly!) have died just fine from a lowly shotgun slug.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Some years ago I was looking around for a shotgun slug load that would do a little more than the standard factory slugs. In those days there was not the availability such as now. You basically had your choice between a Brenneke or a Foster slug. I knew old-timers had used round balls and that intrigued me, so I started looking around.

I found a round ball mold in Dixie Gun Works catalog that threw a .720" diameter ball. I figured this would be about right and ordered it. When I got it I cast the balls out of wheelweights. They weighed in at about 540 gr. and were a sight to behold!

I worked up some loads and tested them, then settled on the Unique load that I still use. I have never had one stop in a car body... though I have only shot 3 cars with this load and that is not a real good test statistically. Shooting targets nailed to an 8" pine tree at 50 yards, the balls completely penetrated the tree and split the trunk up and down quite a ways.
shotgun_rbload.jpg
- .720" diameter - 540 gr round ball cast from wheelweights
- Winchester AA hulls
- Winchester 209 primers
- Hornady Versalite wads ( the "fingers" or "petals" must be removed from the wad)
- 28 gr. of Unique

Accuracy was on the order of 3" at 25 yards from my shotgun. I have shot some 50 yard groups of 5" with this load. Recoil is such that I just cannot stand to shoot it from the bench. The barrels of my Stevens 311 seem to nearly converge at 50 yards, making it very convenient.

I have shot these in an H&R single-shot 12 ga. and they are kinda hard in the recoil department.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear that Jim! Quite a few years I shot 1 ¹/⁴ oz slugs, they would send the forend of my 870 back enough to eject when rested on sand bags! Lots of black and blue shoulders in those days ! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:40 am I hear that Jim! Quite a few years I shot 1 ¹/⁴ oz slugs, they would send the forend of my 870 back enough to eject when rested on sand bags! Lots of black and blue shoulders in those days ! :lol:
The hardcast round ball weighs 1.23 oz. ... I never tried it out of softer lead for more weight. It pounded me hard enough as it was. :)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:53 am
GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:40 am I hear that Jim! Quite a few years I shot 1 ¹/⁴ oz slugs, they would send the forend of my 870 back enough to eject when rested on sand bags! Lots of black and blue shoulders in those days ! :lol:
The hardcast round ball weighs 1.23 oz. ... I never tried it out of softer lead for more weight. It pounded me hard enough as it was. :)
That's interesting stuff. I have a .69 Round ball mold to replace shot in 12 Ga hulls, which lists at 495 Gr. They shoot fine from the chicom 12 Ga, and will suffice in places where my guide gun is not handy. It is easy shooting and has the same sight setup as the Stevens above ^^^ .

The 50 cal sabot slugs in the 20s weigh 328 Grains and are advertised at 1700 fps from the muzzle, a computed TKO of 39 with 2100 Fp at the muzzle. It will be less, perhaps, from the pardner. This is way over most revolver stats... and they seem to have a good rep with deer hunters...

In the 20 a 50 caliber round ball is about 180 Gr for a 20 Ga sabot load, and a 60 cal is 325 Gr for a full bore load. If I need more I have lots of 12 ga "legacy" stuff. LOL

thanks for the input y'all, thanks for the 12 Ga load, it helps me focus a tiny bit :roll:
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I use the good old Federal 1 3/4 ounce 10 gauge slug out of my SP-10 autoloader. I had it made in the Remington Custom Shop in the 80's. A 20 inch barrel with screw in chokes and rifle sights and a 26 inch screw in choke barrel with vent rib. When you hit a deer in the chest with the 10 gauge, it is like you plugged his tail in an electric socket. A couple of seconds frozen then falls over. War Wolf Ordinance has some 2 oz slugs available. I am waiting to try them out.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

buckeyeshooter wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:20 am I use the good old Federal 1 3/4 ounce 10 gauge slug out of my SP-10 autoloader. I had it made in the Remington Custom Shop in the 80's. A 20 inch barrel with screw in chokes and rifle sights and a 26 inch screw in choke barrel with vent rib. When you hit a deer in the chest with the 10 gauge, it is like you plugged his tail in an electric socket. A couple of seconds frozen then falls over. War Wolf Ordinance has some 2 oz slugs available. I am waiting to try them out.
That sounds like a HAMMER!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:10 pm
buckeyeshooter wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:20 am I use the good old Federal 1 3/4 ounce 10 gauge slug out of my SP-10 autoloader. I had it made in the Remington Custom Shop in the 80's. A 20 inch barrel with screw in chokes and rifle sights and a 26 inch screw in choke barrel with vent rib. When you hit a deer in the chest with the 10 gauge, it is like you plugged his tail in an electric socket. A couple of seconds frozen then falls over. War Wolf Ordinance has some 2 oz slugs available. I am waiting to try them out.
That sounds like a HAMMER!
THAT sounds like crew served artillery worthy of a tube video ! Do you have photos of the rig and load?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I always wanted an SP10! I settled on a BPS 10 for CHEAP. :D
It weighs over 9 lbs empty, sucks to hump into the deer stand but I have blooded it. 31/2" OO buck will turn a deters head into a canoe at mere feet. I was a poster on a drive and my buddies pushed a little one to me and it didn't care I was there and it still doesn't know what happened.

2oz, no thanks!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:12 pm I always wanted an SP10! I settled on a BPS 10 for CHEAP. :D
It weighs over 9 lbs empty, sucks to hump into the deer stand but I have blooded it. 31/2" OO buck will turn a deters head into a canoe at mere feet. I was a poster on a drive and my buddies pushed a little one to me and it didn't care I was there and it still doesn't know what happened.

2oz, no thanks!
It seems like this is a good place to add in some info about 2 slug gun experimenters, James Gates and Ed Hubel.

James Gates used to hang out on Marshal Stanton's forum, he developed some 12Ga hard cast slugs and sold them as Dixie Terminators. Here is a website talking about them --> https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/di ... rels.8172/
a search on "dixie terminator slug" will bring up lots of photos and links to user's experiences. James fell for the 'heavy-for-caliber-at-modest-velocities' meme, even the word meme wasn't used much back in the day. We corresponded a bit about my 44 mag 405 gr load, and the 525 Pile Driver, which he admired.

Another interesting guy is Ed Hubel who developed a load called "shotgun from hell" that brings up LOTS of his narratives, but it seems that all the photo links are dead. And no joy at the wayback archives either. Almost like those images were expunged.

Ed was a prolific gun builder, including a home made falling block for one of his heavy loads. And an enthusiastic experimenter with 12Ga loads in full brass hulls. I think he got some pleasure from the "internet expert" assurances he got on line about how the guns are going to grenade. You can read this stuff in a number of spots where he explains what he is doing and what real-world pressures he was getting and what the target zone results are.
I don't know if either of these guys are still around but their work and results with slug loads is epic good reading.

For a contemporary maker of Paradox loads, q.v., check out this local site ---> https://www.ariaballisticengineering.or ... game-loads

grizz
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

My grandfather and great uncle both used buckshot to deer hunt, both have been deceased for 30 years but they head shot EVERYTHING. Freezer was always full
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

wvfarrier wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:48 pm My grandfather and great uncle both used buckshot to deer hunt, both have been deceased for 30 years but they head shot EVERYTHING. Freezer was always full
You know buckshot isn’t legal in WVA for deer now :? when I hunted there this season I carried along a 10 gauge or two and when I was up the tree I had it loaded with a punkin ball in the right barrel and 0000 in the left barrel . Of course I also had a rifle along and turned out that the rifle was the only thing I fired . Wish I’d held off on the doe and dusted her with the punkin ball .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have to admit just reading about some of these loads has me grimacing from the recoil that surely attends.
Ed Hubel died a couple of years ago. He regularly posted on accuratereloading.com, and then very unaccountably started in as a fierce apologist for the Beijing government in the political forum there. No one could understand it.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Seems to me one of those two got to arguing (I think) with the guy I think that owned castboolits and he was banned , re-allowed then banned again . Whichever one that was I didn’t particularly care for the person .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Yeah, Ed was prolific, and James was focused on his application, and for a while they were encouraging each other. I lost touch with them and missed out on the demise of both of them. Sorry to hear about Ed, sounds like he wound up in a lot of pain maybe. And watching the country self-destruct is very painful.

I wish I had copied their web postings when they were doing well ! ! Both James and Ed were posting velocities and certified pressures, and they still got a lot of guff from "expert" deniers. One of the things James found was that his Dixie Terminator load produced lower pressure than the shot loads.

https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/d ... tes.11225/
They were both inspired by the Paradox loads of prior big game hunters and wanted to produce their results. A lot of Knowledge got wasted when Ed's photos got blasted. Somehow they all link to a dead URL... censored it seems.

And here is Jame's testing results >
https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/di ... rels.8172/
I still kick myself that I never bought his products, if only for classy paper weights and bookshelf spacers. :)
http://www.2-bore.com/ just a glance at what the Big bore guys are into . . . LOL
I know where he lives and I will meet him some fine day . . . †
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Co-Incidentally, here is a video for the 12Ga version of the Federal Truball ammo I bought for my single shot 20Ga . . . makes a guy want to shoot something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAq5jNBrRbw&t=1s
and here's the 20 Ga version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY-X69YkaWM
grizz
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Found a picture of James Gate's Terminator slug that he developed for 12 gauge rifled shotgun barrels... perhaps a fitting memory of the man . . ..
12-gauge-dixie-terminator-slug.jpg
see ya around James,