Blue Norther

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Blue Norther

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We have one pouring south over Texas this afternoon. I was in Abilene at 2 and it was about 64. By the time I got home to Sweetwater at 3:30 it was 38. Now 26 and headed for 11. 8)
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Blue Norther

Post by Ray »

That confounded global warming is acting out yet again ! Supposed to be +3 with a wind chill of -11 tuesday.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Supposed to be 14 here by morning.
I have a supply of anti-freeze ... the Good Book ... and ammo.
me and stuff.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ray wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:23 pm That confounded global warming is acting out yet again ! Supposed to be +3 with a wind chill of -11 tuesday.
Yea, that evil global warning that's been causing blue northers for as long as man has lived on this continent, and likely before.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Thats cold for you guys, 20 below here, my friend 1 mile north of me on a river valley at 6 pm has 30 below
one good thing its dead calm, still lots better than the last Wisconsin winter i was in

ollogger
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

In the winter of '85-'86 it was often twenty below at boot in waukegan at uncle ronnie's yacht club. Evening duty invariably was either stripping and waxing floor tiles indoors or shoveling snow outside. I was to the navy what beetle bailey was to the army and was equally adept at disappearing either in the bowels of an office complex or outdoors amongst barracks & drill halls (formerly dirigible hangars). Long story short, despite my propensity for making myself scarce in the face of manual labour, I was forced to shovel many tons of lake michigan snow and I never remember being cold.

On the other hand, deer hunting or raking leaves or other outdoor activities here in the deep south at thirty above can be quite chilling if there is any wind. All of our inlaw/outlaw kin from wisconcin, minnesota and michigan who boast about the cold that they've endured, when they move down here to escape the long winters, all tend to wear sweaters and windbreakers when we get by with flannel over tee shirts. It's a different cold they claim. I do know that they would keep the central heat thermostat set on 85 if we let them. They boast of their $800 to $1200 monthly heating bills back up to home and I believe them.
m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Supposed to be lows in teens here early next week. May not sound cold to many of you, and I certainly remembered it for the first half of my life, but down here, it is cold and dangerous. Dangerous on pipes, and dangerous if it ends up icing the roads and powerlines.

It will be good days to stay in by the fire!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Here in NW Arkansas, we are forecasted to drop into the single digits for the next 4 days, plus 2 to 7 inches of snow.
I have a good fire built and wood on the porch. I don't miss working for the gas utility company keeping compressors and dehydrators going
in this kind of weather. I just hope they remember what I taught them and keep my gas on.

JBowen
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Doesn’t seem to have hit San Antonio yet but I’m looking forward to hunting in the morning. They move ahead of a front.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yesterday's high was about 5am , 52 degrees. This morning is exactly half that at 26 and it'll probably drop a bit more before the sun rises.
The warmer winter has been nice as we are working outside but I do enjoy snow on the ground! I've worked most of my life outside and sure it can be a struggle to keep warm but I much prefer 30 over 85 and enough humidity to float a feather!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Here in Wisconsin, the high today is < 0°, wind chill -25°.
Woodstove is purring..
Packers face the Cowboys, Go Packers..!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It's 10 degrees here in the Rolling Plains this morning with a breeze. Not nearly as cold as the 30 below that I experienced a time or two in Eastern Oregon, but this is a place where the builder didn't bother to insulate the exterior walls when the house was built in 1964, something I am still struggling to accept. Jim, I think your preparations are about perfect. 8)
I am going to make a pot of Filipino monggo soup and a skillet of cornbread today. Love to cook any time, but especially when it is cold. 8)

https://seesfoodwilltravel.com/monggo-b ... no-recipe/
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Bill, I was in and out of the Phillipines numerous times and I never encountered Munggo Soup.
It sounds pretty tasty.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vic, my honey's mom and dad were both born in the Philippines, got out just ahead of the Japs. Her Daddy used to make the monggo, which she says is in the same family as lentil. I look forward to it! Just realized I am out of fish sauce, so I have to bundle up and run to the store. I'll use the baby spinach as malunggay is unobtainable in these parts.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If it stays cold here for a few weeks we may have Ice on Lake Erie. The big sporting Goods in Erie Pa had prolly 50k worth of ice fishing gear last week, but no ice!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

It's a balmy -5° here this morning with a windchill of -14°. :D

That's warmer than last night when I went to bed. It was -8°. :lol:

And Monday evening is when it's supposed to get really cold!!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Steve, my youngest brother lives on the Cache la Poudre up near Fort Collins and it is mighty bob up there this morning, too!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:40 pm We have one pouring south over Texas this afternoon. I was in Abilene at 2 and it was about 64. By the time I got home to Sweetwater at 3:30 it was 38. Now 26 and headed for 11. 8)
12 degrees here Bill, with snow and 50 mph winds! Wishing we were 38 degrees!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

They showed a map of the US with the temps and wind chill factors and this cold snap is affecting the entire middle of the country. We don't have it bad in Colorado compared to the middle northern states and like them, we're use to this weather and prepared for it. I'm concerned for the lower states where they are neither use to or prepared for a cold snap like this. So, everyone just stay inside and warm until the weather mitigates a bit. Safe is good in this weather.
Steve
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

There has to be guys doing blown in insulation down in Texas Bill. Either holes in siding or holes in drywall depending on how they want to do it. It would be worth the effort for both heat and AC seasons!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JimT wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:29 pm Supposed to be 14 here by morning.
I have a supply of anti-freeze ... the Good Book ... and ammo.
Perfect... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, we have warmed up from 10 to 14 degrees here. I'm putting on my cargo shorts -- NOT! No snow --yet.
Will, I am going to demo the rear exterior wall from inside during a kitchen/DR remodel and will put up insulation before putting up the new drywall. Actually, I won't be putting up the drywall -- my contractor and his son will. With my old back I just can't manhandle sheetrock anymore. :oops:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's even better Bill!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

The people most at risk are the ones living in the deep south because their homes are simply not built in a way to protect from extreme cold. Friday's low in Little Rock was forecast at 3°.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Had to go out and buy tamales from the tamale guy. Needed a sweatshirt. It's a frigid 60°F. Looking forward to the spring thaw.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Cold.jpg
Had 15-20 mph breezes. Maths out to around 55 below wind chill if we're counting that.

Was 40s and 50s through most of December.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Malamute on Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TraderVic wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:36 am Packers face the Cowboys, Go Packers..!
I bet you're a happy camper this evening! :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Walt wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:59 pm The people most at risk are the ones living in the deep south because their homes are simply not built in a way to protect from extreme cold. Friday's low in Little Rock was forecast at 3°.
Correct!

Even on "newer" homes, they are just not insulated like they are up north. Commercial buildings are even worse. When I first moved down south, 29 years ago, I sold thermal fluids (among other specialty chemicals). Every time it would get sustained freezing weather for a few days pipes would start bursting all over the place, often in schools, which often used plain old water as their heat transfer fluid. Still, they didn't want to pay for a thermal fluid, regardless of the cost of burst pipes and water damage. :roll:

Penny smart and pound foolish...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You would think people were smart enough to insulated as much for the summer highs as well as the rare winter lows down south. If I was building a home in the Deep South I'd want everything insulated just so the AC wouldn't have to work so hard.
Maybe this inflation, banning of fossil fuel, gas fired appliances will be enough to get folks to plan ahead... ( yeah right!)

It's a balmy 17 here this morning.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:51 pm
TraderVic wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:36 am Packers face the Cowboys, Go Packers..!
I bet you're a happy camper this evening! :lol:
I (we) are.
It has been awhile for The Pack and it's exciting to see how far they go in the playoffs.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I live in Dallas country, but I have been a Packers fan since Bart Starr days when I first started paying attention to football in junior high. 8)
We only managed a high of 14 yesterday; currently at 7, but the sun is supposed to be out this morning and get us into the low 20s.
Vic, I made that munggo soup/stew yesterday. Just outstanding.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Poor deer had frost on their coats this morning.

Light precipitation with temps in the 20s, I feel bad for them.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Well, it's a balmy -8° in our back yard and snowing right now at 10 am. Pin Point weather forecast it at -5° going down to -7°at 6 pm tonight so I guess we shot right past that already. They're forecasting that it will start to 'warm' a bit (-2° by midnight) and continue to 'warm' until by Wednesday afternoon it will be 50°. Let's just say I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh, that's actual temperature, not with windchill.
Steve