Probably all Great Grandpa needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Probably all Great Grandpa needed

Post by TedH »

Here's 3 of the oldest in my collection.
The scattergun has been in my family for generations. I believe my great grandfather was the original owner. It is a 12 ga "Hollenbeck" from Syracuse Arms, made in 1894.
The levergun is a Marlin 1894 32WCF made in 1895
The Colt revolver is a 32WCF made in 1902
20240128_155059.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Probably all Great Grandpa needed

Post by 2ndovc »

Great stuff!

I don't have anything that belonged to Great Grandparents, but fortunately I have several from both of my grandfathers. They were both hunters and shooters. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, wow, three heirlooms to draw to! 8)
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Nice old guns, Ted.
I have my great grandfather’s J. Steven’s and Sons single shot 16 gauge. No serial numbers to date it, but my research shows that model was made between 1886 and 1915. It is worn so much that I would be afraid to shoot it.
I also have my grandfather’s model 67 Winchester 22. No serial numbers on it either, but the features on date it to 1935 or 1936. It is In good shape and I have shot a few squirrels and rabbits with it. These were hunting guns to help provide for the table in these old Ozark Mountains.
Both died before I was born, so I don’t have any stories to share.

JBowen
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice, Ted! :D 8) :mrgreen:

I don't have anything older than my Grandfather... but that means Y2K has something from his Great-Grandfather. :D
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

There’s a lot of truth here.

How much do we really need or can even use?
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

My mother's mother's father was a hunter, but only had daughters. When he passed away one of his son-in-laws commandeered the firearms and apparently sold them, leaving no info as to what they were. Even his son (of the son-in-law) had no idea and he was a gun nut like me. I've often wondered about what rifle GreatGrandpa used to take that huge bull elk that used to grace the lobby of his motel when I was a tiny child. Or what did he shoot that bobcat with, the one that was made into a rug and draped on a couch or chair and kept inquisitive great-grandchildren out of that part of the house. Those are questions that I'll probably never know the answers to. I'm glad you have access to such family lore!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:20 am There’s a lot of truth here.

How much do we really need or can even use?
Years back most folk were raised with the idea of learning to use what you have. And they made do with what we today would never consider. My great-uncle killed 4 bears with an old .38 Long Colt and factory ammo. And they ain't much! I have read stories of natives in Alaska and Canada taking big bears with the .22 Hornet. It was what they had and they had to make it work.
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

How about the 1953 world record bear shot by Cree Indian Bella Twin using a Cooey 22 with 22 long ammo. This actually took place in Alberta Canada.