Armadillo in the kitchen

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Armadillo in the kitchen

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We have been having some fun discussing these unusual critters, their destructive habits, their relationship with Hansen's Disease, their suitability as table fare and other fun topics.
There is a seven-page thread on armadillo hunting over on castboolits.com, and a Cajun gentleman named Gary from Baton Rouge shared this very interesting recipe for Armadillo Sauce Picante.
I may try it with pork, not having any fresh 'dillo in the fridge.

Armadillo Sauce Picante

Shared by Gary of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

serves 8

About 4 1/2 lbs. of Armadillo Meat (see Note #1)
cleaned and cut up into equal sized pieces.
1 cup Bacon Grease or Vegetable Oil - divided
3/4 Cup all-purpose Flour.
2 cups chopped Yellow Onion
1 Cup chopped Bell Pepper
1/2 cup chopped Celery
2 Tablespoons chopped Garlic (about 5 cloves)
6 ozs. Tomato Paste (small can)
1 Cup Dry White Wine
4 cups Chicken Stock
28 ounces diced or crushed Tomatoes
1 or 2 Jalapeno Peppers - chopped (seeds and ribs removed)
1 teaspoon dried Red Pepper Flakes
1 bunch Green Onions - chopped (tops and bottoms)
3 Tablespoons Sugar.
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
4 Tablespoons fresh chopped Parsley

Seasonings :
1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning Blend ( Like Tony's or your favorite)
plus some extra for the meat.
1/2 teaspoon dry Thyme
2 Bay leaves

Instructions:
Clean and cut the meat into equal sized pieces ( See Note #1)
Season with Creole or all purpose seasoning and place in refg. untill needed .
Heat 2-3 Tablespoons Veg. oil (or bacon grease) in a Dutch Oven (or chicken fryer w/ lid) on Med.-High heat, brown the meat pieces on each side , about 4 mins per side . Remove the browned meat from the dutch oven to a platter and set aside .
Lower the heat to Medium , add the remaining oil (bacon grease) and when the oil is hot and shimmering , add the flour and whisk or stir for 5 to 8 minutes to make a Dark Roux ... scrape the pan bottom , do not let Roux stick or burn ... whisk or stir constantly ... if you burn he roux , start over .
When the Roux is dark brown ... remove pan from fire and add the Trinity - Onions , Bell Pepper and Celery stir untill the hot Roux is cooled a bit and then saute the back on med. heat until onions are soft and translucent .
Next add Garlic , some of the Red Pepper Flakes and about 1/2 of the spices that are listed ( but not the bay leaves , they come later ) continue to saute untill the spices are aromatic about 2 mins ( the heat releases the aromatics) .
Maintaining Medium Heat stir the Tomato paste into the Roux-onion mixture and saute 5 to 8 mins while the tomato paste browns slightly ... Keep stirring so it doesn't stick or burn !
Add the white wine and mix throughly , scrape the pan bottom . Saute another 5 mins. untill the wine has incorporated into the roux-onion-tomato paste .
Now add the whole tomatoes which you crush with your hands ( this was what my Mom did ... I buy diced or crushed tomatoes ) add all liquid with tomatoes .
Then add Worchestersire , sugar , about 1/2 of the remaining seasonings , jalapeno peppers and bay leaves . Mix thoroughly and simmer about 5 mins.
Increase the heat to Med-High and stir in the stock .Stir well and bring to a high simmer then lower the heat and continue on a slight simmer for 45 mins , partially cover the pot and stir often .
Add the browned meat , including any meat juice , the remaining herbs , spices and Green Onions . Continue to simmer for 1-2 hours untill the meat is tender and the sauce nice and thick . Cover the pot the first 45 mins. uncover and cook to thicken the sauce . When done taste and adjust seasonings to taste .

Serve over white rice with hot buttered French Bread and a green salad.

Notes;
#1) You can use this recipe with any of the following:
Chicken , Alligator , Rabbit , Squirrel , Nutria , Venison (deer meat) , Wild Hog even domestic pork ... You don't have to use no Armadillo !
I have cooked / eaten Sauce Piquante made with all of the meats listed and they are all great !
#2) This dish is better the next day ... and it Freezes very well .
#3) Add more heat by adding additional chopped Jalapeno's ... to me this taste's better than pepper in a sauce piquante .
JimT
Shootist

Re: Armadillo in the kitchen

Post by JimT »

You could get an armadillo off the highway, depending on how thick you need it. :D
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Leave it on the highway for a few days if you want a thinner, tenderized piece of meat!! :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that sounds like a rather complicated recipe, it exceeds my attention span by 3 innings, AND it would set my teeth On Fire :!: :!: :!:

this chicken recipe from an Alaska fisherman is reasonable.

1. remove chicken from wrapper
2. place chicken in oven
3. eat when done

I often asked this guy over the radio if that's all there was to it, and he always affirmed that it's just that easy
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

That was an old George Strait song, wasn't it? "Armadillo by Morning" :lol:
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

We refer to those roadkill armadillos as "fenderized".

For those needing more information on roadkill, refer to "The Field Guide for Flattened Fauna".
NRA life member