Overcast Rainy Day Games

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Overcast Rainy Day Games

Post by JimT »

I bought a tin of GAMO .22 caliber round balls to shoot in the air rifle. They seem to do better than pellets, at least in the gun we have. Messing around this morning I wondered how the balls would shoot in a .22 handgun. And would they work with just the priming and no powder? So I got out the Bearcat Shopkeeper and went to the shop.

I have a bunch of Russian primed .22 Long Rifle brass and decided to see just how hard the priming compound would push the round ball. I seated the round ball on the Long Rifle brass with a light tap from a small hammer. Then I dipped the nose of the ball into some grease and loaded them into the Bearcat.

I set up a cardboard box about 8 feet away and put 4 layers of cardboard into the box. Then I fired a shot at it, and it whacked the box nicely. I shot several others and noted that sometimes a round shot harder than another did. The diameter of the balls vary. I sawthat shooting them in the air rifle. Some drop into the chamber and some have to be pushed in. I will have to mic a bunch of them and see how much they vary.

I loaded 5 more Long Rifles and set a target at 15 feet. Some of the blame for the 2 shots to the left can be attributed to the shooter.

The 4 layers of cardboard inside the box (6 layers total) did not stop all the balls. Especially when the shots hit close together. I had a backstop behind the box to catch the errant balls.

I ended up shooting 25 rounds or so. Fun little load. No noise other than about like a cap pistol.
IMG_6565.JPG
Recovered balls. Some engraved deeper than others.
IMG_6569.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Overcast Rainy Day Games

Post by Walt »

Nice little shopkeeper, Jim! And an interesting experiment. Thanks!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice idea for rainy days Jim, you now have a Parlour pistol...
A gallery gun, Flobert gun, parlor gun or saloon gun is a type of firearm designed for recreational indoor target shooting. These guns were developed in 1845, when French inventor Louis-Nicolas Flobert created the first rimfire metallic cartridge by modifying a percussion cap to hold a small lead bullet.

:D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Somebody say parlor gun ,I think maxim solved that.

More serious note I like the idea!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:59 pm Nice idea for rainy days Jim, you now have a Parlour pistol...
A gallery gun, Flobert gun, parlor gun or saloon gun is a type of firearm designed for recreational indoor target shooting. These guns were developed in 1845, when French inventor Louis-Nicolas Flobert created the first rimfire metallic cartridge by modifying a percussion cap to hold a small lead bullet.

:D
YESSIR! Mr. Flobert would be proud!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Now Jim, you'll shoot up all your Russian primed brass! :lol:
Be interesting to chronograph them vs. the Colibris.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:49 am Now Jim, you'll shoot up all your Russian primed brass! :lol:
Be interesting to chronograph them vs. the Colibris.
Yeah.. I was thinking the same thing. Gloomy and rainy ... I will probably start with penetration comparisons.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

That's pretty interesting Jim! We only saw the sun four times in the last month. now they are saying it all sunny days till next Friday. just crazy. :shock: .
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

.45colt wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:59 am That's pretty interesting Jim! We only saw the sun four times in the last month. now they are saying it all sunny days till next Friday. just crazy. :shock: .
Yep. The sun just popped out here and we are supposed to be able to see it through next week. I am happy! :D