Bolt Cannon.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Bolt Cannon.

Post by gamekeeper »

I found the propellant used very interesting and was surprised how much power the little gizmo actually had.. 8)

https://youtu.be/bN8LCPWY_no?feature=shared
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bolt Cannon.

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow! Just WOW! What a darned hoot. The power is indeed surprising. This will very surely alarm "the authorities." :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've used matches in place of gunpowder in .38 .. .357 .. .44 and .45 caliber. You can reach 800 to 900 fps with it. In a cartridge you don't need the striker material. The primer will set matches off.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:40 am I've used matches in place of gunpowder in .38 .. .357 .. .44 and .45 caliber. You can reach 800 to 900 fps with it. In a cartridge you don't need the striker material. The primer will set matches off.
strike-anywhere or safety ? :) . . . . . . .
MISC_no really this is funny.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grizz on Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd be careful crushing up strike anywhere matches.
In school we were making Thunder mugs, 1.5" do a few inches long. Drill the bore out on the lathe, drill a touch hole on the mill then a 45acp full of black( or more), pack with tp. Place a golf ball on top and that charge will send a golf ball out of sight BUT wear your hard hat! :lol:

I'm not going to mention a mortar that used a 12ga full of black and tennis balls charged and fused which lead to cardboard tubes with burst charges to light commercial fireworks for display shells.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Grizz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:16 pm
JimT wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:40 am I've used matches in place of gunpowder in .38 .. .357 .. .44 and .45 caliber. You can reach 800 to 900 fps with it. In a cartridge you don't need the striker material. The primer will set matches off.
strike-anywhere or safety ? :)
Safety Matches. Used the Strike-Anywhere tips to reload primers.
I wrote the tests up in the little booklet SURVIVAL RELOADING FOR HANDGUNS
Kindle - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086H1MQ1H
Paperback - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086PRKVNG

If you have a Kindle the book will be free for a couple days soon.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:39 pm
Grizz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:16 pm
strike-anywhere or safety ? :)
Safety Matches. Used the Strike-Anywhere tips to reload primers.
I wrote the tests up in the little booklet SURVIVAL RELOADING FOR HANDGUNS
Kindle - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086H1MQ1H
Paperback - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086PRKVNG

If you have a Kindle the book will be free for a couple days soon.
T Y V M
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I will post an announcement. Amazon only lets me do it every so often.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hmmm... I see a project in my future. :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...a slightly larger version (or mortar)... :wink:

http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm

A fun site if for no other reason than the dark feline humor accompanying the mortar build....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:53 am I found the propellant used very interesting and was surprised how much power the little gizmo actually had.. 8)

https://youtu.be/bN8LCPWY_no?feature=shared
It’s called Armstrongs Mixture, if you were interested. It’s potassium chlorate and red phosphorous, basically.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks EG73, It seems like a pretty volatile mixture and I was thinking more along the lines as a primer than a propellant, I don't think I would be happy with large amounts of the stuff. :shock:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, I had no idea such velocities could be achieved. I wonder how corrosive it is.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I watched that video on the bolt thing recently and wondered why not use black powder? And then I thought why not a longer bolt, and a little larger bolt and hole? And then I got to thinking why not make a rifle or pistol stock, or a cannon cradle?
Then I came to me senses and told myself to stick to guns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, here is one in 9mm. Sobering power for a "toy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gghaNpEltlo
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:11 am Jim, I had no idea such velocities could be achieved. I wonder how corrosive it is.
I don't know about corrosive chemically but I am sure match heads are abrasive. However, in a situation where they are the only option that really doesn't matter.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

4_bolt gun arms race.png
there seems to be an arms race among the match locks . . . :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nujbqzlwb34
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think atf might consider that one a destructive device...?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:18 pm I think atf might consider that one a destructive device...?
isn't it legal in America to make guns from scratch?
any more ?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Grizz wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:47 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:18 pm I think atf might consider that one a destructive device...?
isn't it legal in America to make guns from scratch?
any more ?
Absolutely. And you don't have to serial number them or register them. I have talented friends that build gorgeous copies of old single shots, and they tell me they only serial number them if they plan to sell one later.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What I was getting at is class 3 destructive device due to the size of that big bolt cannon might get the attention of atf.
Hand made firearms are one thing , this is a whole nuther realm in which the feds might get their skivvies in a wad over.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:14 pm What I was getting at is class 3 destructive device due to the size of that big bolt cannon might get the attention of atf.
Hand made firearms are one thing , this is a whole nuther realm in which the feds might get their skivvies in a wad over.
I'm sure you are right. but people make mortars and shoot bowling balls and pop cans, are they classed as third class devices?
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I would like to encourage a high level of caution in regards to attempting this type of thing.

I own and fire several Black Powder Cannons. My cannons were designed and built following the very stringent safety rules and guidelines of the North-South Skirmish Association (N-SSA) and the American Artillery Association (AAA). And those rules and guidelines were developed after extensive research on the pressures developed when using a very well known and researched propellant - Black Powder.

While I have not looked, I am pretty sure there are no N-SSA or AAA specifications covering homemade bolt cannons. And I doubt there has been too much in the way of published research on the homemade propellant mixtures mentioned above.

Everyone who is involved in owning or shooting firearms of any sort bears a huge responsibility for their own personal safety and the safety of anyone who could potentially be impacted by the discharge of their firearm. And most of us rely on our experience and the known performance of our gun and the ammunition we use to help us keep everyone safe. And what exactly do we know about bolt cannons or the propellant mixtures mentioned above?

Any time someone gets hurt while using any type of firearm, it impacts all of us. Be safe out there.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

lthardman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:25 pm I would like to encourage a high level of caution in regards to attempting this type of thing.

I own and fire several Black Powder Cannons. My cannons were designed and built following the very stringent safety rules and guidelines of the North-South Skirmish Association (N-SSA) and the American Artillery Association (AAA). And those rules and guidelines were developed after extensive research on the pressures developed when using a very well known and researched propellant - Black Powder.

While I have not looked, I am pretty sure there are no N-SSA or AAA specifications covering homemade bolt cannons. And I doubt there has been too much in the way of published research on the homemade propellant mixtures mentioned above.

Everyone who is involved in owning or shooting firearms of any sort bears a huge responsibility for their own personal safety and the safety of anyone who could potentially be impacted by the discharge of their firearm. And most of us rely on our experience and the known performance of our gun and the ammunition we use to help us keep everyone safe. And what exactly do we know about bolt cannons or the propellant mixtures mentioned above?

Any time someone gets hurt while using any type of firearm, it impacts all of us. Be safe out there.
Yeah, safe is good. I was thinking a couple of those nuts screwed down right tight to the head would provide a lot of backup to the chamber, by the time the projectile got past those the internal pressure should be pretty low, shouldn't it? I was thinking just getting a chunk of 4140 and heat treating it like a 45 ACP barrel would probably be a good start. Then band the breech end with a shrunk-on heat treated cylinder. And Then try to blow it up in a hole or mine shaft or some such out of the way spot. Seems safe to me, but idk. Do you have pressure figures for your cannons?

grizz
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I dunno what exactly the atf class 3 destructive device rules say but I'm sure they have someone that keeps tabs on utuebe for this kid of stuff. Wether or not they act on it is a different thing.

Just saying, watch what you do and keep it quiet :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

lthardman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:25 pm Any time someone gets hurt while using any type of firearm, it impacts all of us. Be safe out there.
Exactly right!

Every "accident" just gives more fodder for the anti's to try to take our rights, and allows anti-gun politicians (who general know less than nothing about firearms) the opportunity to legislate for our safety - whether we like it or not. :evil: