THE BEST CALIBER

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: THE BEST CALIBER

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:28 am Well Jim…..I know a guy who told me he would run from a guy who had a .22! 🤣……..

I feel fine with a 38 Smith 642 with a speed loader. …….but I can head shoot a person from the hip……but there’s little to no crime to speak of here. Anytime I travel more than about 10 miles I put a 10” Colt M4 with a binary trigger along with a half dozen 30 round P mags in the back seat of the Jeep plus my 38 in my pocket and usually a 1911 in the cup holder.

Upgraded car kit --- inspired by @Sixgun :lol: -- this is ever evolving until i get it how i want it but my civilian "gunfight" experience i shared with you gents last May and being caught without a proper first aid kit really had me re-thinking that aspect, so i cannibalized a generic first aid kit from Costco, then added a chest pack, couple of tourniquets, quick clot and a few other things

This stuff is not just a "goin' to town" rig - as it serves double or triple duty to keep some of my hunting and overlanding gear compartmentalized where i can find it instead of having to dig through a backpack

The J Frame and the K frame are usually around somewhere too

And the Cadillac got a little more stately combo with its own first aid kit, a Officers 1911 and a .45 Colt trapper -- the little bungees make removing the weapon pretty quick when/if needed , or to stow under the back seat when i leave the vehicle --- i always use weird colored flashlights as well as they are easier to locate when dropped

----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Streetstar wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:03 pm
I love it dude! ……..the AR’s, rifle, handguns,mags,flashlight, knife……..

As we get older we get wiser, not necessarily smarter, but wiser.

Many years ago I was watching this movie where this guy and his family were stuck in traffic and suddenly a mushroom cloud appeared on the horizon and everyone’s cars died. In that split second, people turned from civilized beings into savages, not Old Savages, but downright animals. 🤣

THATS exactly what will happen if doom is in the air. So unless your next to home or a short (very short) walk, you will be at the mercy of people you don’t know and will kill to save themselves or their family……and the way this countries population has been diluted with foreign trash, you can bet you’ll be a target…..so……..you make THEM the target…..😜

My suggestion is to buy an AR receiver new and have it registered as a handgun, then put a short barreled upper on it…..legal, for now anyway………..so do it before that a.h.in D.C. decides to change it……..I have the connections so I put a real deal Colt machine gun upper on mine and it will do 1 and 1/2 at 100. Along with that a legal “fun switch” binary trigger…….semi, safe, binary……practice and it’s a machine gun from the shoulder…….i can empty a 30 round mag in a couple of seconds.

So if your stuck away from home…more than a few miles, be prepared and if a group comes running after you, empty a 30 rounder at their feet and you’ll see how fast they disperse.

If something happens, even a BLM protest road shut down you are vulnerable……we’ve seen that on the news…..no animal is going to charge my car and smash me with a cinder block because I’m white……….

In my 69 years I have never seen such disrespect for the law and order and as you and I are “beneath” the law, you can assuredly guarantee “they” won’t give a flying S about you and yours and you will become another statistic with no name….

Be prepared and study the German Gestapo tactics on neutralizing any conceived threat……you’ll never know when it’s coming so BE PREPARED……..——-006 and 3/4’s………imagine that, 7.2 MILLION additional savages in addition to the 24% we already have.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:42 pm
Streetstar wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:03 pm
I love it dude! ……..the AR’s, rifle, handguns,mags,flashlight, knife……..

As we get older we get wiser, not necessarily smarter, but wiser.
My suggestion is to buy an AR receiver new and have it registered as a handgun, then put a short barreled upper on it…..legal, for now anyway………..so do it before that a.h.in D.C. decides to change it……..I have the connections so I put a real deal Colt machine gun upper on mine and it will do 1 and 1/2 at 100. Along with that a legal “fun switch” binary trigger…….semi, safe, binary……practice and it’s a machine gun from the shoulder…….i can empty a 30 round mag in a couple of seconds.
Thanks Six -- its an evolving "system" - but i do a lot of activities that benefit from having knives, first aid and modularity over and above the guns - - but they are obviously an important part of my life too

Also -- i am a Colt nerd - so the AR in that pic is a 6920 -- i left it completely stock as i am a believer that for a truck gun - that might be best -- but the binary trigger has me intrigued and i may sample one - sounds like a hoot. I have a recently acquired 9mm AR with a full Colt SMG upper that that would be seriously fun on.

A few years ago i quit dabbling in "Hobby AR's" because my interest just shifted --- i sold a few off but honestly - the rifles i put together myself with good parts were not any less reliable than any of the stock Colts i have either, so putting together a braced 10" gun would be entertaining --- i guess ive become a gear snob though so unless its Colt (or FN, HK, LaRue, Noveske ) i dont mess with them much -- (disclaimer- my secondary MOS in the service was 76Y Unit Armorer BIID and i was an A&P aircraft mechanic for a bit after i got out - still have that certification - so im a gear nerd and have seen a lot of broken military firearms)

I may just build one of those short barreled "pistols" with a good brace if i can find a good barrel/upper too ------------ but i have a PTR9 (domestic MP5) that Franklin Armory also makes a binary for --- hmmmmmm - sheesh , compared to when i was a kid we are living in an age where we can ,mostly have what we want and its nice

The resurgence of leverguns and somewhat in revolvers in the under 30 crowd also gives me hope for our kids and grandkids
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The willingness to employ your gun is vastly more important than its caliber. I actually know people who carry a gun thinking they can just use it to scare away bad guys. Those folks have already lost their gunfight, whether they carry a .45 or a.22...
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I was tasked with introducing one of my law partners to one of the lawmen in my personal circle yesterday. So I strapped on an old and trusted friend of many years.

A bit heavier than I tend to carry daily but still felt right on my hip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Pisgah wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:36 am The willingness to employ your gun is vastly more important than its caliber. I actually know people who carry a gun thinking they can just use it to scare away bad guys. Those folks have already lost their gunfight, whether they carry a .45 or a.22...
YESSIR!
"The willingness to employ your gun is vastly more important than its caliber."
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

The willingness to employ your gun is vastly more important than its caliber.
Lots of truth in that statement.

I like 357, 45ACP, 10mm, and 9mm.

The 1911 and HiPower platforms are quite similar in feel and operation,
so for semiauto carry, those are the the preferences. That covers 9mm,
45ACP, and 10mm. I don't feel undergunned with 9mm. (I certainly don't
feel undergunned with 10mm! :shock: :lol: )

In wheelguns, I usually carry either a Rossi R46202 or a Ruger SP101.
The Ruger has some Hogue hardwood grips on it now. MUCH better!
I carry the Rossi in a Simply Rugged pancake rig, and it's so comfortable
I frequently forget I have it on. Sixgun will say I should forget the Rossi entirely,
and when I first bought it, I almost agreed with him. The trigger was so
heavy as to be unusable, and it jammed. Repeatedly. So, I took it all apart.
The jamming was due to a metal chip left over from machining. I then polished the
recoil shoe, the frame where it rides, removed various burrs and so forth,
and put it all back together with a Wolff mainspring for a J-frame. Didn't
touch the hammer or sear. Hundreds of full-house 357 loads later, it works great. :D

I had the same problem with a HiPower I bought - one of the last they made.
Trigger was horrendous! Found out they upped the mainspring power on the
later ones. So, I put a standard power mainspring back in it, a +P recoil spring,
removed the magazine disconnect, removed a couple of burrs and polished this and
that, and it shoots great now too. Didn't fool with the hammer or sear on this
one, either. BTW, the Springfield Armory SA-35 has all of the above
done out of the box, has better grips, is way less expensive, made in the USA, and
shoots great, too. Magazines interchange between the 2 perfectly as well.

-Stretch
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:02 am I was tasked with introducing one of my law partners to one of the lawmen in my personal circle yesterday. So I strapped on an old and trusted friend of many years.

A bit heavier than I tend to carry daily but still felt right on my hip.
I enjoy wearing mine. I don't mind the weight. Like you said, it feels right on my hip.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I live in s.e.Pa with hoards of “animals” bunched up in pockets here and there……..Look at what happened during riots in the not so distant last……”they” will pull you out of a car with zero empathy.

Go watch that movie “Black Hawk Down”……”they” are no different here. We’ve all seen it on the news.
The problem is cultural. Somalia is essentially lawless. It's run by "warlords" and their gangs.

The culture of the American inner city is not dissimilar. The value systems in both cases are
very different than mainstream American values. We don't spray bullets around a SuperBowl
parade because someone insulted us. We don't steal from the local supermarket until we
put them out of business, and then complain that there are no fresh vegetables to be had.
We don't use the arrest and beating of someone in LA as an excuse to loot hi end stores.

It's extremely difficult to point that out without being accused of being racist, but the
problem isn't one of race - it's one of culture. There ARE racists on BOTH sides of the
color line to be sure, but the above is a cultural issue.

Getting into sensitive areas here, eh? :) But Sixgun is right - a carjacker has absolutely no
scruples about beating you to death for your car. And some of them are only 14 years old or so.

-Stretch
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

stretch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:36 am It's extremely difficult to point that out without being accused of being racist, but the
problem isn't one of race - it's one of culture.
Reminds me of a song from the book "LUCIFER'S HAMMER" ...
"All day I face
the barren waste
without a taste
of culture...
pure, culture ..."
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Whatever the source, I don’t like it because people are not behaving in a civilized fashion that we have come to expect in our society. We are seeing more and more of this in urban crime but that’s only the most obvious. It’s much deeper and more widespread.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:08 am Whatever the source, I don’t like it because people are not behaving in a civilized fashion that we have come to expect in our society. We are seeing more and more of this in urban crime but that’s only the most obvious. It’s much deeper and more widespread.
Possible Answer:

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
John Adams

Morality .. the idea of there being "right" and "wrong" ... is pretty well dead.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Whatever the source, I don’t like it because people are not behaving in a civilized fashion that we have come to expect in our society. We are seeing more and more of this in urban crime but that’s only the most obvious. It’s much deeper and more widespread.
And that's a very good point.

My girlfriend is an elementary school teacher. The behaviors and expectations
today are very, very different than when I went to school. And as you put it so well,
Scott, the problems are more deep-seated than that.

-Stretch