Is this a good plan?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Is this a good plan?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Lads, I have had at least a dozen MRIs over the past 30 years, the first one in what literally looked like a torpedo tube. I don't know how I survived that one as a recurring claustrophobia nightmare is getting stuck in a pipe.
Since then I have had them in various machines, some not a whole lot better, some less constrictive and some what they call "open." Those were easy. But two MRIs ago in a reasonably roomy machine, I very sheepishly had to hit the panic button. The tech came right and said Bill let's put you in feet first and the imaging was a piece of cake. Having a spinal study tomorrow in what was described to me as "not an open machine" and the nurse/scheduler advised I get a scrip for something to help with this. I am not about to mess with trying to get a scrip for a single use Valium or Xanax, but it occurred to me that an "airline-size" nip of Bailey's Irish Cream discretely taken neat in the parking lot might address the situation very nicely. Now I know our friend Old No. 7 will recommend a certain distillate from Lynchburg, TN, but does anyone else in the Leverguns brain trust have a thought?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is this a good plan?

Post by GunnyMack »

CBD? Melatonin?
I've never been in an MRI, but I'm not claustrophobic so that wouldn't bother me.
Though I'd agree with ol 7. :D
What would make sense would be if the MRI place would give the patient a sedative when you go in, of course prescribed by the patients doctor. Oh wait, no one has any common sense!( Besides us gun nuts!) :lol:

Oh and I didn't read MRI as MRI, it registered as MRE and at first I thought No Bill don't eat a 30 yr old MRE... no I haven't had any firewater!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm pretty sure that's what I would do.

Black Label most likely.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill ... BILL! You're in Texas now. TX is pretty good sipping whiskey and if you sip enough of it you can crawl in a tight sewer pipe and not mind it! :lol:
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Why not Valium? It is quite calming
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill,

Skip the booze and take the offered sedative. I've been given Ativan a couple of times now and it did a far better job of mellowing me out than a shot of anything ever did. Last week I was in for a bone marrow biopsy that I'd heard and had been warned could be quite painful. That was putting it mildly. Once the drill bit punches through the bone, it's hard to describe how much that hurt! The Ativan made me less apprehensive than I would have been and nearly put me to sleep. We had an hour drive home and I think I slept about half way.
Even with my wife driving, which can be outright terrifying! :shock:

Jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

A tall shot of Jack - Close your eyes - and think of leverguns old & new!

Sounds like a plan!!!

Good luck Bill.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Doc AJ, that's a mighty fine prescription endorsement, coming from you!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, I would only have a couple of hours to convince my PCP to prescribe a single dose of Valium/Xanax/Ativan, and then would have to drive the 45 miles home right after. Not sure how that would work out.
I'll probably just try deep breathing, some prayer and daydreaming about fly fishing -- and shooting lever guns.
Thanks for the advice, friends! I'll say this: the newest "open" versions of MRI machines are a real blessing to the squirmy ... :lol:
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Bill, I think you should call them and ask what to expect. I've had a lot of MRI's, but had one very bad experience. I had to have my brain and spine checked to see if some cancer had advanced to either my brain or spine. I went in like expecting the usual. But, they put my head in a helmet, strapped down my legs and arms and my head. Plus the tech played the worst music ever. I was "fit to be tied" if you get the pun when I got out of that deal.

Best to know what you are getting into, it may not be the same as the ones before.

I'm pretty much a no drug guy, but I would really consider the Rx. I don't have claustrophobia, I used to cave a lot, but that deal was bad, I go prepared now----I quiz them, make sure the music is to my taste and make sure I know what the procedure is.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jon, I talked to the scheduler and she was "vaguely reassuring." Their machine will probably be very much like most of the others I have been in. It's just the one time I lost my composure but it sort of shook my confidence. I'm sure it will be fine. While I am in Abilene I will stop at Academy and buy some more ammo and primers ... 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, the MRI was a piece of cake and I need not have stressed over it -- story of my life. I am sure prayer helped.
It was a roomier machine than some I have been in, They had a nice cool breeze going and the technician slid me in feet first. She asked if I wanted music and I said jazz. The imaging began with Dave Brubeck's classic "Take Five" and ended with a lovely muted trumpet rendition of "Misty." Does it get better? I think not. I only had one small cramp. "Boy you have a lot of hardware in there don't you," she commented after sliding me out. Yeah, enough titanium to get a good start on an aircraft hull! :lol:
Thanks for your support gang. You are like the old Carter Hall pipe tobacco -- "When a feller needs a friend." 8)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks for the GOOD REPORT Bill!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Whew. Glad that it went well Bill!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Iʻve had an easy dozen MRIs in the past 20 years, but I have not had any difficulty tolerating being in a drum can thatʻs being beat on with a hammer. I grew up scurrying through the sanitary sewer pipes running beneath my street, with my brother, when we were kids. Used to dive for lobsters at night squeezing into small caves while holding my breath. Tight places donʻt seem to bother me. Iʻm getting an MRI of my prostate on the 14th of this month, so it may be my famous last words. We shall see. I worry more about the biopsy to follow. Theyʻre doing the biopsy through the colon method, and I hear a Zanax before hand can help with the pain. I wish they offered general anesthesia for the biopsy.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good to hear Bill! :)

I've had a ton of them myself. The tube doesn't bother me at all. The noise? Yeah, that's annoying as hell and I always end up with a bad headache. Plus lying on what is essentially a board is no fun with my back!