Rossi Brawler anyone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Rossi Brawler anyone?

Post by Grizz »

https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/article/rossi-brawler/

found this while reading up on the single shot BP pistols from the other page . . .

this looks like a good cheap single shot Colt 45 pistol, but 410 from a rifled barrel didn't do so well for me.

way back I had my son's 444 on board, and a box of 410 shotshells, which needed disposing. they fed fine in the Marlin and I shot them at a 4x4 sheet of plywood to check the "pattern". What I got was two concentric circles with nothing in the center or the voids between the two rings. I wonder if users of the "judge" found the same thing?

Hopefully this new Rossi is built as well as the H&Rs were. It could be a fun gun . . .
Screenshot 2023-08-04 081731 Brawler.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi Brawler anyone?

Post by GunnyMack »

Shot and rifled bores don't play well with each other !
Now if they made a choke system that screwed onto the muzzle ya might have something.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Looks better than the ones they used to sell in the Amazon Basin back in the day. Those were available, IIRC, in "36" (.410), 32 and 28 gauge - smoothbore. Unfortunately the NFA makes such a contraption unfeasible up in the US of A. But a smooth bore pistol in any of those three would make a great snake gun.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I suppose a guy could firelap the bore until the pattern improved...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ray wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:49 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WY8yNjPhN0M
that's a good video. I wish all gun tests were that long on info and short on respiration . . . . somewhere near the bottom of one of the foto boxes from the eighties are my fotos of what the extra inches of rifling did to bird shot.

I would like to see more on the triple0, which had not opened up. And some serious target work with the 45 colt.

Looks like fun
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Just read the manual, "Slugs are Unsafe" in two different places along with prohibition on +P ammo and a very stern paragraph advising that the chamber and ammo be free of any oil. I realize the limitations of some break-open actions, but the slug prohibition is disappointing as I was thinking Poor Man's Howdah Pistol. Oh well.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

samsi wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:35 pm Just read the manual, "Slugs are Unsafe" in two different places along with prohibition on +P ammo and a very stern paragraph advising that the chamber and ammo be free of any oil. I realize the limitations of some break-open actions, but the slug prohibition is disappointing as I was thinking Poor Man's Howdah Pistol. Oh well.
Thanks very much for the input. Disappointing that they cheaped-out. I suppose anyone with a CNC mill could better that one. And a Howdah Pistol?
YEAH !
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I thought the patterns were impressive and that one group of 45s was pretty good too. Would have liked to see some 20-25 yard patterns. Could be a decent utility gun. I do not care if I never fire a 410 slug. Why would I want to if I can use a heavier, cheaper and better constructed 45?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

44shooter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:56 am I thought the patterns were impressive and that one group of 45s was pretty good too. Would have liked to see some 20-25 yard patterns. Could be a decent utility gun. I do not care if I never fire a 410 slug. Why would I want to if I can use a heavier, cheaper and better constructed 45?
I agree completely with your point.

it's just how I evaluate firearms from my pov. the way I see it, there is a huge difference between a firearm that can generate thousands of pound-feet of energy, and one that CAN'T. I can load my 45/70 down to 45 Colt performance, and I can load my 45/70 to a TKO of 49 or 50, and energy of 2450 at the muzzle. I shot that load out of Blaine's BFR and got 1300+ fps for 2000 fp and TKO of 45. This would blow up a lot of the guns we cherish. Including the case in point.

OTOH, if an inexpensive single shot shows up and can give me the performance of any other 410, I am interested. But if it can't give me the performance of 45 casul, then it might as well be a 22, which would be fun actually.

In the back of my catalog of events, being stalked by a timber wolf and huge bears is not one i wish to be unprepared for.....

grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

AmBraCol wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:34 pm....Unfortunately the NFA makes such a contraption unfeasible up in the US of A.
...but at least the tradeoff has been a complete eliminantion of 'gun violence', so we should be GRATEFUL.... :roll: :lol: :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:46 pm
AmBraCol wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:34 pm....Unfortunately the NFA makes such a contraption unfeasible up in the US of A.
...but at least the tradeoff has been a complete eliminantion of 'gun violence', so we should be GRATEFUL.... :roll: :lol: :evil:
yeah, there is THAT :shock:
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Has anyone had experience with the "Super Comanche"?
It is said to be slug capable and comes with choke tubes. https://www.guns.com/news/review/super-comanche
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Rossi is using the 410 frame they use for those small matched pairs for kids. It's never going to be a 454 or equivalent. It is what is and that's a cheap pistol that can shoot 410 and standard 45 Colt fairly well. I don't know what it is about slugs that are unsafe though.

The Rossi 410 is substantially smaller in the frame than H&R/NEF.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

44shooter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:56 am I thought the patterns were impressive and that one group of 45s was pretty good too. Would have liked to see some 20-25 yard patterns. Could be a decent utility gun. I do not care if I never fire a 410 slug. Why would I want to if I can use a heavier, cheaper and better constructed 45?
I remember when my kids were little, 'straight wall pistol cartridge' leverguns werew not yet legal deer cartridges in Indiana, so we looked at the shotgun regulations (my kids were still too young to handle big-bore handguns), and a .410 bore shotgun with slugs was actually legal for deer. I looked up the ballistics, and it was basically a 32-20 medium load.
Not wanting to break the law, we bought a .410/45 Colt breakopen rifle, but the 'groups' with 45 Colt were over 12" - at 25 Yards...! :shock: The slugs were about 4" at the same range if I recall. I even thought about loading up some metallic cartridge shotshells with better cast bullet slugs. But that year the law changed, and 357 Mag leverguns (and bigger) were suddenly ok for deer. So I told the kids whichever levergun they could hit 5 out of 6 pop-cans at 50 yards from a bench and 5 out of 6 sitting in a stand at 25 yards, they could use to hunt with.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I owned a 45 colt rossi circuit judge revolving rifle ages ago, which could also chamber and fire 410. I didnt use it much but what I recall is the 45 colts werent real accurate with that long cylinder. The best I ever did was 4-5" at 50 yards with any ammo.There was also a straight rifling choke you screwed in for firing 410 shells. I assume to stop the wad spinning and shot donutting, I never tried it before I sold it anyway.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Color me weird but I have never understood the fascination of shooting shot out of a sixgun. I grew up in snake country. Lived many years in snake country. I never carried shot loads in the sixgun and I killed lots of snakes using standard ammo for the handgun I carried.

If I wanted to use shot I took the 12 gauge shotgun along.

Shooting shot out of a sixgun lead to the Glaser Safety Slug. The only thing "safe" about it was it wouldn't seriously harm a bad guy unless you shot him in the face.

But, like Elmer said, every dog has got to scratch his own fleas. If shooting shot from a sixgun helps scratch your itch, go for it.

:lol: