Another double action wheelgun in the house

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Another double action wheelgun in the house

Post by Streetstar »

Although i recently purchased an engraved 3" Python a few months back and said "Thats it! - I'm flush with late model .357's and dont need another!" - well, until another comes around at a price you cant refuse (in this case $650 - which is not stealing it, but with the current retail of these things, i thought was more than fair )

Looks like a 3" but Smith lists it as a 2.75" barrel . Obviously it has the lawyer lock so is the later 66-8 model. But i find both the Colt and my polished blue Dan Wesson to be too pretty to go knocking around on the tractor , so ive been using a utility grade Sig 229 ffor my "bush pistol" but when i saw the ad for this one i thought - dangit, i may be able to manufacture an excuse for another .357 after all

To my eyes, the looks are pretty plain and utilitarian with the brushed finish and black oxide ancillary components (vs case colored on the older ones) , so if it can get a little holster wear , it would be a bonus for it but i thought since the Python is close to the same barrel length this could set up a personal Colt vs Smith range showdown for me

DA trigger feels exceedingly heavy - im guessing over 12 lbs but i have only dry fired it so far. But much like the 1911's i scored a couple of weeks back, i will follow up with a range report as soon as i can

Maybe a nice set of walnut target grips can spruce up the looks of this one , who knows

----- Doug
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another double action wheelgun in the house

Post by GunnyMack »

Shoot it a couple hunnerd rounds and I'm sure it'll smooth out some, THEN do an action job.
Yes! A side by side comparison would be good, waiting for your results.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nice score! That will do nicely.

Altamont makes some really nice production, yet semi-custom looking grips for S&W. Check 'em out.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I would buy one every two weeks at that price
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very nice... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The 66 got a little brother not too long ago - a 637 -- i actually wanted the exposed hammer on this one after having a 642 for a numbver of years

Time to look for some Crimson Trace grips, and perhaps give the new gunsmith in town here in Moore OK some business installing stainless plugs in the "Hillary holes" on both of these sidearms

----- Doug
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That 66-8 is a mighty handsome article, Doug. Let us know how she shoots, and what you plan to load it with for serious purposes.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:09 pm That 66-8 is a mighty handsome article, Doug. Let us know how she shoots, and what you plan to load it with for serious purposes.

Would like to load it with hardcast 158's at perhaps a sneeze above .38+P velocities --- dont like the extra steps to clean the cylinders after firing a steady diet of .38's , but i've become much more recoil sensitive as ive gotten older
----- Doug
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Your 66-8 looks like a mode 69 in .44 Mag.
MY 3 inch .357s
3in 357s.jpeg
MY Model 69
Model 69.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A RIA M200 somehow joined my little herd. Left hand twist rifling. It is a modern idea of the classic. Has a transfer bar.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I have one of the 66-8s. Decided to test some loads using by then new Labradar.
Labradar Muzzle Velocity (familiarization run)
60 Deg F
S&W M66-8 2.75" .357 Mag

130gr Fed Hydra-Shok JHP "Personal Defense" PD357HS2 H …….. 1,416 fps avg (84 fps ES) -- two rounds
140gr Underwood Xtreme Penetrator (Philips head mono metal).. 1,422 fps avg ( 5 fps ES) -- two rounds
158gr Horn Xtp - 15.0gr A2400 Std small pistol, new Starline...… 1,316 fps avg (49 fps ES) -- six rounds
165gr CSWCGC (358156) - 13.0gr A2400 New Starline         ...… 1,180 fps avg (49 fps ES) -- six rounds
180gr Buff Bore …………………………………………………………………………….. 1,312 fps avg ( 6 fps ES) -- two rounds
185gr LFNGC (Beartooth), 15.0gr Lil'Gun, CCI 400 New Starline.. 1,228 fps avg (14 fps ES) – two rounds
200gr WLNGC (leadheads), 13.4gr H110, Fed 205, New Starline.. 1,102 fps avg ( 4 fps ES) – two rounds
200gr WLNGC (leadheads), 14.4gr H110, Fed 205, New Starline.. 1,155 fps avg ( 2 fps ES) – two rounds
(purported to be the “Doubletap” load info)
200gr WLNGC (leadheads) handload with Lil Gun ………………………. 1,266 fps avg ( 2 fps ES) -- two rounds
Work up to these 200gr loads.

My 66-8 seems too run a little on the fast side for a 2.75"

Also ran two Buff Bore 180s thru 16" Rossi M92 carbine ……………. 1,894 fps avg ( 6 fps ES) -- two rounds

The owner of leadheads passed away a while back so that 200gr is no longer avail. Grizzley cartridge offers a 200 gr that is a virtual twin.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Paul105 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:18 pm I

130gr Fed Hydra-Shok JHP "Personal Defense" PD357HS2 H …….. 1,416 fps avg (84 fps ES) -- two rounds
140gr Underwood Xtreme Penetrator (Philips head mono metal).. 1,422 fps avg ( 5 fps ES) -- two rounds

Holy cow ! That is bringing some serious smoke! :o :o :shock:
----- Doug
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Smith & Wesson is doing a great job on these newer revolvers. I’ve got a Model 69 (.44 Magnum 5 shot on an L frame) that is really well put together with longevity improvements that are really smart.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.