The Term "pistol" ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Term "pistol" ....

Post by JimT »

Growing up I always heard handguns referred to as a "pistol." These days the term is used by some writers and advertisers when referring exclusively to semi-automatic handguns in contrast to revolvers.

The etymology/history of the term "pistol" (where we got the word) ......

pistol (n.)

"small firearm with a curved handle, intended to be held in one hand when aimed and fired," 1570s, from French pistole "short firearm" (1566), a word of uncertain origin, sometimes said to be from German Pistole, from Czech pis'tala "firearm," literally "tube, pipe," from pisteti "to whistle," a word of imitative origin, related to Russian pischal "shepherd's pipe."

But the earlier English form pistolet (1550) is said to be from French pistolet "a small firearm," also "a small dagger," which is said to be connected with Italian pistolese, in reference to Pistoia, the town in Tuscany noted for gunsmithing.

--------------------

Technically speaking, the term "pistol" is a hypernym generally referring to a handgun and predates the existence of the type of guns to which it is now applied as a specific term, that is: in colloquial usage it is used specifically to describe a handgun with a single integral chamber within its barrel .... In contrast with modern colloquial usage, the term is technically synonymous with any handgun type, including all revolvers and derringers. Commonwealth usage, for instance, does not usually make distinction, particularly when the terms are used by the military. For example, the official designation of the Webley Mk VI revolver was "Pistol, Revolver, Webley, No. 1 Mk VI". In contrast to the Merriam-Webster definition, the Oxford English Dictionary (a descriptive dictionary) describes "pistol" as "a small firearm designed to be held in one hand", which is similar to the Webster definition for "handgun"; and "revolver" as "a pistol with revolving chambers enabling several shots to be fired without reloading", giving its original form as "revolving pistol"...[

The English word was introduced in 1570 from the Middle French pistolet (1550). The etymology of the French word pistolet is disputed. It may be from a Czech word for early hand cannons, píštala ("whistle" or "pipe"), used in the Hussite Wars during the 1420s. The Czech word was adopted in German as pitschale, pitschole, petsole, and variants. Alternatively the word originated from Italian pistolese, after Pistoia, a city renowned for Renaissance-era gunsmithing, where hand-held guns (designed to be fired from horseback) were first produced in the 1540s. However, the use of the word as a designation of a gun is not documented before 1605 in Italy, long after it was used in French and German.

-from wikipedia-

---------------------

pistolier (n.)

also pistoleer, "one who uses a pistol, soldier armed with a pistol," 1570s from obsolete French pistolier, from pistole

---------------------
As one who uses a pistol a lot I prefer the term "shootist" ... :D
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The Term "pistol" ....

Post by Bronco »

Getting smarter every day :)
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

When growing up in the 70s and 80s, I heard the term pistol to refer to any handgun. When semiautomatics became dominant towards the late eighties, the gun press seemed to reserve the term pistol to these semiautomatics, with revolvers distinguished from the term, and handguns referring to both plus single shots, double barrels etc.

I have mostly adapted the contemporary usage, but I don’t consider anyone incorrect to call a revolver a pistol. After all, Wild Bill is called the Prince of Pistoleeros, not the Royal of Revolvereeros. And he didn’t have 1911s in that sash!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I remember the old folks talking about “sixguns” and I still prefer to use that term for a single action revolver.

“Pistol” seemed to be used for everything else whether it was a revolver or something else.

Of course when I was starting out in the police department it was mostly Smith & Wesson revolvers and Colt 1911s.

Glock had not made an appearance on the scene.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to say all revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers but with revolving rifles and shotguns that's not strictly correct but I hate being told by some newbie that only a semi auto is a pistol.... :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:13 pm I used to say all revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers but with revolving rifles and shotguns that's not strictly correct but I hate being told by some newbie that only a semi auto is a pistol.... :roll:
emoji-transparent-thumbs-up-3-1339235002.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:13 pm I used to say all revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers but with revolving rifles and shotguns that's not strictly correct but I hate being told by some newbie that only a semi auto is a pistol.... :roll:
+1. Doesn't even have to be a newbie... Maybe, especially when it's not a newbie! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I generally classify my handguns as either:
Revolvers, single shots, and pistols. There’s exceptions to everything, but that just about covers it all
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pistol - general term
Revolver - specific term.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hmmm. Disney's Pistol Pete always carried revolvers. I'll let one of y'all correct him ... :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

There are varieties of people who've been described as a pistol-something, or a something-pistol, but I can't think of any. Can you?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

They probably use the term "pistol" because they are too polite or too religious to add "ser" instead of "tol" to the first part. :lol:
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Rumble.com/ hickock45
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

4t5 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:38 pm Don’t forget these…. https://postalmuseum.si.edu/exhibition/ ... ng-pistols
The caption lists them as "flintlock" dueling pistols but one is obviously a caplock. I cannot tell if it has been converted from flintlock but that should cast at least little bit of doubt as to whether they are really THE pistols used in the duel.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

JimT wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:08 pm
4t5 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:38 pm Don’t forget these…. https://postalmuseum.si.edu/exhibition/ ... ng-pistols
The caption lists them as "flintlock" dueling pistols but one is obviously a caplock. I cannot tell if it has been converted from flintlock but that should cast at least little bit of doubt as to whether they are really THE pistols used in the duel.
One has been converted you can see where the frozen spring used to be.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:28 pm They probably use the term "pistol" because they are too polite or too religious to add "ser" instead of "tol" to the first part. :lol:
good one. some of my pistols rock and some of them roll :)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:47 pm
JimT wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:08 pm
One has been converted you can see where the frozen spring used to be.
Thanks. I don't know enough about flintlocks to know what to look for.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Throw in terms like Hawgleg, Smokewagon, forty five, etc and the true use of any word becomes clear. That use is to convey thoughts and ideas in a manner that others can understand. So, whether you refer to a semi auto as a pistol and revolvers as a pistol, as long as the thought or idea is conveyed the word has done it's job.

Of course folks who insist that only semi autos are pistols are fair game for pointing out things like the Webley Fosbery, a semi auto revolver.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Well we always seem to have the self appointed grammar police. Before the internet we were all apparently all ignorant. I dont even care is someone calls a magazine a clip. If we both know the type of weapon they are talking about, we get the meaning.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Interesting discussion, thanks.

I've always liked the phrase "skin that smokewagon."
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator