WSF in 44 Special?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

WSF in 44 Special?

Post by LeverGunner »

Has anyone worked up loads with WSF in 44 Special?

I have found one reference where someone used VV n340 data to work up a load with WSF using 210 grain cast bullets. I have a pound of it to use up and I don't load anything that it's appropriate in currently. BUT, I suspect that it'll do well in a slightly +P loading, say 18,000-20,000 PSI range. So, approximating the Skeeter load.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: WSF in 44 Special?

Post by GunnyMack »

Never used WSF, however I would start by looking at Hodgon site and see if they have data. If not you might find one of our members that has QuickLoad will run the numbers for you. :D Also burn rate charts for comparison to point you in the right direction.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I had not thought of looking at Hodgden site, thanks. I had a friend run some quick loads for me with my Ranch Dog CTL432-265-RF bullet, but WSF was not in quickloads. I did get Bullseye, W231, Unique, and Power Pistol Data, which I figured would be the powders I'd most likely be using. I have a jug of bullseye, so I use a lot of it.

Lead Alloy Calculator
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

There was a topic on the High Road site that discussed WSF in the 44 spl.
Here is a screen shot!

http://prntscr.com/ZXjWzzVn-Mjv

I use 5.5 grs of WST in a 44 mag for a very light load. velocity is around 750 fps for a 300gr cast. I know it is not what you asked for but just throwing the info out there!
John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Bronco wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:37 pm There was a topic on the High Road site that discussed WSF in the 44 spl.
Here is a screen shot!

http://prntscr.com/ZXjWzzVn-Mjv

I use 5.5 grs of WST in a 44 mag for a very light load. velocity is around 750 fps for a 300gr cast. I know it is not what you asked for but just throwing the info out there!
John
Thanks, I'm a member there. I can probably find that thread with that information, I've not seen it before.

Lead Alloy Calculator
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

When you go to the hodgdon site, WSF does not even show as an option for any weight of .44 Special Bullet. I prefer to use W244 as it sits right next to Unique on the Powder Burn Rate Chart. That is only because I have not seen another can of Unique since I bought my last one.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve used WSF for a lot of years in the 16 gauge and some in recent years in the 20 gauge . WSF came out in the late 80’s to replace 473AA which at the time was my personal favorite for 20 gauge target and field loads . As to metallic cartridge loads I can’t say I’ve ever seen any but then again I never looked .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

WSF isn't in the QuickLoad powder list, otherwise I'd make a run for you.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Thanks for all the replies. I've used WSF with good results in 45 automatic, but I sold my 45 a couple years back and have no other use for the powder.

Thank you for the thought @Rimfire McNutjob .

Lead Alloy Calculator