Your camping woods sidearm question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sw41mag
Levergunner

Post by sw41mag »

I always carry a pistol and (usually a rifle too) hiking out here in the forests in Colorado. A Ruger BlackHawk in .45LC and usually a Winchester 94 Trapper in .45LC. Had to pull the pistola once on a fella that was letting his dogs menace me and my daughters in the National Forest. He back pedaled pretty quick when he saw I was about to unload on his dogs.

When I lived in Chicago I had to pull my Colt .45acp about 3 or 4 times to keep my scalp from the bad guys. Glad I don't live there anymore.
When I fed the poor I was called a Saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, I was called a communist.
Tommy Reb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tommy Reb »

Dan Wesson M44S, 4inch or an Old Model Ruger SBH shortened to 4 5/8 inches. Either loaded with 240 Sierra JHC over 22.5 WW296.
Unreconstructed
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

336A wrote:I'm surprised to see this thread resurface.
Heh heh. Not me, this is one of everyones favorite questions :lol: :lol:

As for ME, a Ruger Flattop in .44 and a 4 3/4" barrel with a 260gr cast at about 950-1,000fps gets it done.

Never had to use it but once when a persistant grouse thought he should 'take' camp! (we et him) :lol:

Jeff
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Tough question. But usually one of three. 1911A1, S&W 1917 or Ruger BH. All in .45 of one flavor or another. Never used one in camp on anything four legged. Twice it's mere presence on my hip persuaded "people" to take a somewhat different course of action.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Well since my original pot back in Sept. I've added 2 S&Ws to the stable. A 586 and a 629 both with 6" barrels. The 586 is a nickel K or L frame .357 magnum and the 629 is a stainless steel .44 magnum.

I'm looking to trade the 586 for a 686. Any takers? :D
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I usualy carry my 7 1/2 Ruger Vaq in .45colt. Fortunatly I have never had to use it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

JReed wrote:I usualy carry my 7 1/2 Ruger Vaq in .45colt. Fortunatly I have never had to use it.
Hey, Slug. It's good to see your answer hasn't changed since September. :wink: (Hint: look on page 2)

scott
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

1911. Had my hand on it down in Denver once when some gangbangers thought the wife and I looked like a good mark while walking in a park. Never forget it. I never go woodcutting or hunting up here without having it in a thigh holster.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have carried about everything from a North American 22mag mini-revolver to a 5 inch 1911 in town. Out in the woods and farm, I guess I have done the same, but usually carry a Colt Peacemaker replica 45 colt, or short barreled 44 mag, and sometimes a Browning High Power 40cal.

Probably one of my favorite carry guns has been a Lightweight Commander.

I have killed everything from deer to wild dogs to snakes with a handgun, but I guess I never really needed one for self defense, except for one time, when I came close to getting robbed in Alabama, in a motel parking lot, one night. I was mighty glad I had my Lightweight Comander that night. I didn't have to shoot, but I sure thought I was going to have to, for a few seconds, but when the man finally knew beyond any resonable doubt that I was fully prepared and willing to kill him, he left.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

In Canada, we're not allowed to pack a modern sidesarm in the bush, only antiques. I have two old S&W 44 Russians. I wear one or the other when out in the wilderness. Never had to use them yet, but there are plenty of bear and cougar.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Usually I carry a Glock 20 (full size 10mm) or a Taurus Tracker 4" 44Mag stainless steel.
JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

I have a variety...

Ruger MkI .22 because it's easy to carry and fun to shoot and the kids like to shoot it also.

Star Firestar Plus because it's accurate, compact, easy to carry, and I have 13 round clips for it.

S&W Model 66 4" because that's what you are supposed to carry! :o

One family outing on the Ranger, we were playing in a wash out in the desert. My 10yo son was chasing lizards and suddenly came running back all excited. It seems he had walked by a Mohave Green rattlesnake, all curled up about a foot off the ground, in a tumbleweed. It had rattled at him and...quite naturally...it rattled him. I went to look and it struck at me immediately, and missed. I pulled my Kel-Tec 9mm and took a few shots at it while it slipped away. Missed it with every shot! I can't shoot that thing worth spit, so I'm not carrying it anymore.
When I looked closer, my son's footprint was less than a foot from where that snake was hiding. :shock: I hugged him so hard, I think I hurt him...I gave thanks in every way I knew how!
Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ruger Super BlackHawk with 7.5 inch barrel worn cross draw in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick. Used to load it with Remington240 gr. JSP's but it shoots the Federal 200 LSWCHP's so well that I usually load it with that. I've carried mine everywhere, on nearly every camping trip and road trip. When I'm walking and I need concealment, my Dad's 2.75" Ruger Security Six in 357 Mag.
Last edited by C. Cash on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Pm sent

Post by win92 »

pm sent
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

A regular "walk in the woods" down the back of my property or out stump-shooting with my kid: daily CCW carry S&W M36 .38 snubbie...

A day-long hike deeper in the woods adjacent to mine, whether its on private land I have tromping & hunting permission for, or on public hunting/park land nearby: S&W M36-1 .38 3"...

An overnight camping or kayaking trip, with or without the family: S&W M586 .357 6"...

At least one speed-strip reload in all cases......
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

1860 Army, 44cal. or 50cal Kentucky pistol. 32 NAA Guardian if I am in a 'certain' area.
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

In the woods, I carry an old model Blackhawk .357 with 4-5/8'' barrel, worn in a crossdraw holster (although sometimes strongside). This has always been my favorite woods bumming gun--accurate and powerful enough for what we've got here in Oregon. It's loaded with standard 158 gr. soft points, usually. I've never had to use it, but strongly believe it's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

Rob
NRA
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Either a 6 inch, 686, or a 3 inch Reeder 44 Redhawk. Either way I feel I'm pretty well dressed.
DiamondD
Levergunner

Depeinds on what I am there for

Post by DiamondD »

I carry a .45 OM Blackhawk most of the time but I can also be found packing an SP 101 .357, a Mk III Ruger .22, S&W Mountain Gun .45 Colt or a 1911.
Snoopin & Shootin,

Dean
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Desert camping/meandering from Douglas to Peach Springs, I carried a 3" S&W M36 FL for years. It carried effortlessly and handled CCI shot cartridges in excellent fashion. Two of the half-dozen Diamondbacks still hang on my wall, one was a Mohave Green, which actually came after me, & re-educating me of how close a painful death really is when you're out in the "wilds" alone. Took many jacks and a few cottontails with WC loads, for some excellent camp meals.

I also had a Pachmayr-sighted little carry gun also - a Pachmayr-sighted Ruger 22/45 with a SS 4 5/8" tapered tube that weighed about 26 ounces loaded! What a great trail gun for any weather.

And I cannot forget to mention the little stainless Freedom Arms 22LR mini-revolver that rode inside my hat for so many seasons.

Then there was that one time camping up in an oak patch on Four Peaks, when critters - mulies munching acorns - walking around & between the tents all night. Sometime around midnight partner heard a low growl, definitely not a mule deer. I slept with my snubbie Security-Six under my pillow. In the morning there were 3 1/2" wide cat tracks all around the fire pit...
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Summer time, Ruger 44Mag SBH 5 1/2" bbl loaded with Hornady 240gr LSWCHP and 12gr BlueDot in a crossdraw holster. Winter (hunting season) same rig but with Speer 270gr Gold Dots and heavy charge of H110. Although this winter I have been packing Uncle Sam (GI 1911A1) in a strongside OWB Bianchi a lot.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

J Miller wrote:When out in the boonies, I carry my Ruger BH .45 Colt. I've not had to use it yet, but it should get the job done with anything short of a big foot.

Joe
I bet 'ol Bigfoot would be hangin' on the wall if you had to use it agin' him...

My favorite would be a 4-5/8" Ruger BH in 45 colt - if I had one. :cry: I've never had to use a sidearm to defend myself, yet.

- Tristan
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

Well, I've always got my Kel-Tec PF9 in my back pocket no matter where I'm at, but when I in the woods I like to put my Paradox on my hip. If I'm in one of those Politically Correct State Parks or such, I have a little 22/45colt derringer I keep tucked away just in case.

Papa
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by blueroan »

I need to do some "leather shopping."

Somewhere there was a gentleman making Kydex holsters for 5.5 inch Original Size Vaqueros and I lost the contact info. I think one of them with some kind of passive retention system for the Vaquero and also my 5 inch 629 would be a worthy replacement for the Sparks HSR for the S&W and less obvious than the CAS rig from Bob Mernickle.

I've shot one abandoned hostile dog--on my own farm--and thought I'd have to shoot the pasure renter's German Shepherd (who had bitten multiple people back in the days when people didn't sue near as much as now!) The dog was intentionally turned loose on us and stopped when I pulled the Model 29--he knew he was about to be shot! and then the owner came out to get him, acting innocent.

You have to believe in ESP or Command Presence or "The cold confidence of a christian with four aces." A feral/mean critter knows who is a victim...and who is not. If you carry, your chances of needing it are very slim. If you don't, you're liable to get some tooth marks sooner or later.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!