OT - One gun, one load?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wsmrto
Levergunner

Re: OT - One gun, one load?

Post by wsmrto »

I use the 6.5 for just about anything. I like to use cast for target and fun , load my own in 100 gr, use 120/ 140 gr for deer and have several nice cow Elk with 140 grs. I don't think it can be beat, check out some of the many articles on loads for it. Beats the 270 and 308 for all ranges out to 500 yds. There are many reloads available for it. brass is cheap, and most important is the rifles are everywhere in old mausers, Kimber refurbs, even Remington and Ruger have them. I have seen my elk drop to her knees on the spot and just roll down dead on the spot with a 140 gr Hornady. I just can't seem to load enough of them.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

I go with mokwaw, 7mm08 does it all for me and as comfortable as all hell to shoot.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:wink: Now that we are staying within the OP's original requirements. I'll rescind my suggestion of the 30-06 and go with the 6.5x55 Swedish.

Great cartridge, easy to load for, low recoil, low muzzle blast, and plenty of options in bullet weight (85-160grains)

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Lots of opinions here today about lots of guns and calibers. Looking back on your original posting though, you said one gun, one caliber, one load. Lots of guys have mentioned some pretty versatile calibers--and have included lots of loads. IMO, going back to your original statement, I think that if it were me, I'd find out what was the accuracy problem with the 30-30 that you already have, and fix it. You said that mostly you would be using it on deer or coyotes anyway, and the 30-30 is plenty of gun for both. Maybe all you need to do is take your 30-30 to a good gunsmith for a good tuneup, with some better sights. Then, as to the subject of one load, you could work that one up with readily available 150 grain flatnose bullets. I shoot 30-30's a lot. One of mine is as accurate as I can shoot. Using your original parameters, I'd probably use a gaschecked, 150 grain cast bullet--molded by me for that particular rifle. We don't have elk around here, but there are moose, and some have been taken cleanly with a 30-30. As Gon2shoot said, you may want to pass up really long shots and "sneak up" in some instances--but that's what's called "hunting".

Those that have mentioned the versatility of the 30-06 are right on all counts, but they've also been talking about using a variety of bullets. You could, though, come to the same results though, if you worked up a cast load for an 06. With the right bullet you'd get accuracy as well as penetration enough to use for everything in your area. Something like the Lyman 311284 load, at 210 grains or so, worked up to the best accuracy out of your gun, would most likely kill anything in the area in which you live-big or small.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Here ya go, right caliber, right gun, at the right price:

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-fs/
Go to drop down box for different calibers.

Then again, I am partial to my '94 Timber Carbine chambered in .444, but it makes a mess of varmints and is marginal at 300 yards. That 6.5 X 55 Swede will keep the bullet in a bottle cap from 50 to 300 yards. Heck, it'll handle 600 yards better than a .308 or .30-06.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Canuck Bob pretty much hit my situation on the head. I think there are lots of good ideas and thank you all. While I tossed in possible elk and/or bear I don't see that happening in the next 5 or 10 years and common sense might dictate getting a .243. Popular and easy to find but I just can't fall in love with the cartridge. It'll be a .250 Savage or one of the 6.5's. Just have to keep and eye out.

LK
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

jlchucker wrote:Lots of opinions here today about lots of guns and calibers. Looking back on your original posting though, you said one gun, one caliber, one load. Lots of guys have mentioned some pretty versatile calibers--and have included lots of loads. IMO, going back to your original statement, I think that if it were me, I'd find out what was the accuracy problem with the 30-30 that you already have, and fix it. You said that mostly you would be using it on deer or coyotes anyway, and the 30-30 is plenty of gun for both. Maybe all you need to do is take your 30-30 to a good gunsmith for a good tuneup, with some better sights. Then, as to the subject of one load, you could work that one up with readily available 150 grain flatnose bullets. I shoot 30-30's a lot. One of mine is as accurate as I can shoot. Using your original parameters, I'd probably use a gaschecked, 150 grain cast bullet--molded by me for that particular rifle. We don't have elk around here, but there are moose, and some have been taken cleanly with a 30-30. As Gon2shoot said, you may want to pass up really long shots and "sneak up" in some instances--but that's what's called "hunting".

Those that have mentioned the versatility of the 30-06 are right on all counts, but they've also been talking about using a variety of bullets. You could, though, come to the same results though, if you worked up a cast load for an 06. With the right bullet you'd get accuracy as well as penetration enough to use for everything in your area. Something like the Lyman 311284 load, at 210 grains or so, worked up to the best accuracy out of your gun, would most likely kill anything in the area in which you live-big or small.
30-06 220 grain corelock. it's killed enough brown bears and elephants over the years as not to considerate it a fluke. if you shoot good it should work on anything else out to 300 yards. way 8)