Pointy bullets in tubular magazines

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Re: Pointy bullets in tubular magazines

Post by Hobie »

Having examined all the evidence I have my own opinion.

#1 - it ain't likely unless there's lots of recoil, soft primers and hard bullets, all at the same time.
#2 - when it does happen, most loads are going to split cases and MAYBE bulge the mag tube because the case isn't confined.
#3 - the source of this caution occurred in firing hard, round nose (not pointed) .45-70 ammo (heavy recoil) loaded with BP (a true explosive).

Now that doesn't mean I stack up pointy FMJs in my .450 Marlin mag, but I don't worry about it in loading two (one in the chamber, one in the mag, MAYBE) because a lot of such bullets will create a cartridge too long to feed from the mag.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, Found the web site and the rigid plastic tubing I was thinking about. But none close enough to the magazine tube OD/ID to be workable.
Phooey.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
IridiumRed
Levergunner

Post by IridiumRed »

Interesting discussion here, This is something I've always wondered about.

Btw, the idea of using plastic tubing to simulate a mag tube is a good one, so you can see exactly how the cartridges lie in the tube

Here's just a random thought - if you can't find the exact ID of tubing to replicate the mag tube, how about this -

Get a plastic tube with an ID slightly larger than your ideal.

Make a slit lengthwise down the tubing

Then put hose clamps down the length of the tubing, and turn them down until the ID of the tube is what you want. Place every 6 inches or so.... just enough to keep the compression even along the length

This won't make a PERFECTLY round ID, but it won't be too far off. This is assuming you have somewhat rigid tubing (rigid enough to flex a little without breaking, but not limp like say plastic hose)