Fountain of youth

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fountain of youth

Post by rjohns94 »

Well done Blaine !!!! keep us informed.

as for you pro lifters, well done.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:Thanks, Madman! Not sure if I could get the 40 reps, that is a lot of reps that I would have to prepare for. But at least I reckon I could come close.

It is great to see the young bucks watch me and my partner lift. When we come in we are dismissed without a second glance. Until the plates start stacking up on the bar that is! :lol: :lol:

Age is just a number. And MY number is 450........my goal in the close grip bench press that is!

2x22

Dude,

450 and a close grip at that--- :shock:

Huge Dude, Huge! :mrgreen:

I line up,palms placed with their outer edges at 38" apart.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote:450 and a close grip at that--- :shock:

Huge Dude, Huge! :mrgreen:
My close grip has my thumbs at the edge of the knurling, 16" between my thumbs. I got 410 not too long ago and so have 40 more to go!
I line up,palms placed with their outer edges at 38" apart.
Wow! You must have very very wide shoulders. I'm just a little feller (5'11"-225lbs) with nothing that resembles wide shoulders.... :cry: So a closer grip is much more healthy for my shoulders and forces my triceps to perform the biggest percentage of the work. Even my WIDEST grip that my shoulders can take safely is only 23" between my thumbs which has my little fingers inside the power rings.

But 38".........you must be a giant :shock: :mrgreen:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:lol: :lol: :D

na,
They say----Monster :lol: :oops:

Really, I am only 6'4" (but with almost no neck)like my head sits on my shoulders :lol:
My, one brother is 6'7" but at the shoulders I am taller than him. :?:
Honestly I grip the bar right in the middle of my palms at 33"(my hands are 9.25" X 8.5" so I have big mitts.

But at the outer edges of my grip on the bar(38") course wearing a 2XLT and some needing 3XLT shirt might explain this?

And at 38"(this isn't wide grip for me)it's my normal,in between grip
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

THIRTY-----NINE (39) :D

Took off 3 days(went down to my weight room then)thank you God for strength.
The first 25 went fast(I mean I didn't bounce em off my chest but when each time it hit the top of lift enough force the plates (ringed)
then till rep 33 just nice and easy.The last 6 were a slow deep breath maybe a second pause and that 39th one felt like (a lot)
Thought I might only get it to the rack but nope straight up till elbows locked.
One more(praise God) then----------------do I go for 50 :lol: :mrgreen: :shock:

Older is Good! (think it's even turning the wife on??????) :lol:
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dang :shock: I hang out with Monsters.... :lol: A brisk half hour on that rower has me whupped :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BlaineG wrote:Dang :shock: I hang out with Monsters.... :lol: A brisk half hour on that rower has me whupped :oops: :oops:

Blaine,

Those rowers are fantastic for cardio and for strength.
They are not easy either,they really work almost anything needing working.
A brisk 1/2 hr on one of those is very good indeed and you will receive it's rewards for sure.

The thing is, you are working out friend. And for that I salute you. :mrgreen:
Keep us posted on how you like that cool machine you have and how its working for ya!

See ya :wink:
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote:THIRTY-----NINE (39) :D
Woohooo! That is H-U-G-E!
then till rep 33 just nice and easy.The last 6 were a slow deep breath maybe a second pause and that 39th one felt like (a lot)
Thought I might only get it to the rack but nope straight up till elbows locked.
Nice set. Nice NICE set!
But of course! You do realize though, the difference between 40 and 50 reps will be like the difference between 225 and 315, don't you? It will be brutal.

I was fortunate enough to be able to close grip 375 for 2 sets of 2 this evening. I say fortunate because that was after a long hunt today, last day of deer season here, and was able to take a nice forked horn buck with my .44 Marlin Cowboy. Then I had to pack him out, get him home and then hang him and skin him. I was tuckered and expected a poor showing in the weight room, but was pleasantly pleased. I am a loooong way from my goal of 375x5 though......... :shock: :mrgreen:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:
madman4570 wrote:THIRTY-----NINE (39) :D
Woohooo! That is H-U-G-E!
Nice set. Nice NICE set!
But of course! You do realize though, the difference between 40 and 50 reps will be like the difference between 225 and 315, don't you? It will be brutal.

I was fortunate enough to be able to close grip 375 for 2 sets of 2 this evening. I say fortunate because that was after a long hunt today, last day of deer season here, and was able to take a nice forked horn buck with my .44 Marlin Cowboy. Then I had to pack him out, get him home and then hang him and skin him. I was tuckered and expected a poor showing in the weight room, but was pleasantly pleased. I am a loooong way from my goal of 375x5 though......... :shock: :mrgreen:

Dude------------------Your an animal :mrgreen:
Hard core for sure!
Congrats on the lifting brother and taking that great tasty deer. (good hearty venison=======even more hard core weight lifting) :wink:
God Bless!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Just curious, Madman. Do you squat and/or deadlift with the same high rep zeal you use on the bench press?

2x22
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:Just curious, Madman. Do you squat and/or deadlift with the same high rep zeal you use on the bench press?

2x22

2X22,

Nope!

Only do 2 warm up sets of 10 reps light, then 3 reps heavy for 3 sets for Squat.
And 3 warm up sets of 5 reps light, then 3 reps heavy for 3 sets for deadlift.

These two lifts even with heavy sets I still stay fairly light with no more than 500lbs.(always worrying about a back issue)never happened yet!

One funny thing, I don't weigh myself.(I go by how my jeans waist fits)
Anyhow,was at my daughter's last night and they were weighing themselves,she said "dad what do you weigh?"
seeing that my jeans still feel good(36" waist)I said" right around 245?????????

My wife said----Honey, I think your over that cause your 2X shirts are kinda tight on you now :lol:

Got on------------------------------267lbs :shock:
There digital and not calibrated-------------so????????????? :lol: Wife got on then said "yep 106lbs" there right :shock: :oops:
Hey, if the waist still is the same, and the top half is hard,screw it (I can dig it) :lol: (must be the extra 2-3 cans of chick peas a day?)
Guess I should have known something was up cause last wedding went to couple weeks back couldn't button my 18.5" shirt collar for a tie??(went that day 1hr before wedding and found a 19" at JC Penny's)and it was tight!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:

[A person only needs when weight training to work the LARGE CORE muscles. By doing this (1) you save vast amount of time
(2)that precious time you did just spend benefit the total body the most in the most effective manner.
It's--------

Bench press========Squat=============Preacher Curl===============Seated Leg Extension

That's it period! and in the above order with there being minimal idle time.

PS to anyone paying attention to this thread ---- do not follow this advice unless you are an experienced lifter.

MAdman talks about his quest to bench press 205lbs 40 times. LEts see what a couple of other experienced lifters do -- Jevon Kearse, 265 lb defensive end in the NFL does 225 lbs 26 times. Greg Jones, 255 lb fullback for JAcksonville JAgs - 225 lbs - 23x. Vernon Davis -250 lb TE for the 49ers, 225 lbs 33x -- so MAdman is is good company when it comes to how many times he can bench over 200 - so my hats are off to him there -- but .........................

The bench Press is a marginal exercise for overall fitness - much better would be an incline press with dumbbells for a chest workout, the seated leg extension is an isolation exercise, so are preacher curls and are not necessary for a beginning weight program. None of these exercises listed work your back as a prime mover exercise, and back issues probably plague older americans more than anything else -- you also need a strong back to support a strong squat or injury awaits

The squat has a ton of value, so does the deadlift (which is literally just picking a barbell off the floor for those unfamiliar with the exercise)-- another effective whole body exercise is the clean and jerk , or clean & push press - but these do take a bit of practice with very light weights to master , as technique is crucial in all these lifts

MAdman is not an exercise physiologist --- but by his personal description, he is an experienced lifter and over the course of the years has found a few things that work well for him and thats fine

but there is a reason for doing a few surrounding and lighter exercises in addition to heavy basic exercises - for instance, - squats are the king of all leg exercises and i'll use them as an example , but a few other exercises like leg presses and hack squats should be used as they also help strengthen the connective tissue and give flexibility to the muscle fascia surrounding these muscle groups , which prevents injury when its time to knuckle down and do some heavier squats.

I don't agree with MAdman's exercise philosophy :o , -- but i do agree it is cool that we are talking about it on here, so i am very glad that he got the pot stirred up a bit. By and large, this website is a somewhat older (more experienced) demographic and our average age on this board probably hovers around 50, -- most of us enjoy hunting and probably want to do that as long as possible , a modest but consistent routine of some sort will help anyone out
A very valid program for a beginning weight trainer (or someone returning to weights/exercise after a lay off) is the "Body For Life" program by Bill Phillips. Phillips is a bit of a blowhard and his personal bio stuff is tough to get through, but the training principles are sound -- I can do an entire BFL workout using dumbbells and an adjustable bench -- i use the Bow Flex selctive weight dumbbells, but a set of iron plates and some adjustable handles can also be used for much less expense

another excellent program for whole body fitness is CrossFit. It is a newer program but it mimics military training methods. Equipment needed is minimal . It uses a lot of body weight exercises and encourages you to go at your own pace and modify exercises as needed if you cant do the ones called out in the day's training program

There is no free lunch in life and most of the exercise sessions in either BFL or Cross Fit will take between 30-45 minutes. Cardiovascular exercise should be added as well --- Blaine's rowing machine is perfect, as it is not as hard on the knees as a treadmill, but if equipment like that is not available, a brisk 1 mile walk outside if possible will get the job done

Just like MAdman, i also believe exercise is a "fountain of youth" of sorts -- but if its your time, its your time. Brian MAxwell, inventor of the Powerbar - died suddenly after a run, so did Jim Fixx, recently a former Packers player passed away in his personal weight room during a workout - he was 67. Strength athletes like bodybuilders and powerlifters typically dont have the longest lifespans either , but they also torture themselves with androgenic supplements too -

Any program you decide to undertake, naturally should be researched to find out if its right for you and your needs, and if just starting out or if its been awhile -- moderation is an important thing to keep in mind --- its better to do a little less and be able to do it again the next day or day after, than to do "just a little more" and sideline yourself for a week or more

MAdman -- take my post in the interest in which it is intended. Not trying to flame you or your techniques :) -- but you likely still have a ton of muscle memory and can get away with obscure training methods that would "shell out" other people. As well, the more prior training a person has, the less work it takes to maintain a credible level of fitness

I am not an exercise physiologist either - my experience comes in my participation in collegiate athletics as well as being a national class amateur athlete in another sport until i was 32 years old. I "turned in the reins" on my sporting career when it became apparent that i wasn't going to make a viable living doing it --- i then jumped head first into a career in insurance adjusting -- for at least 6 years, i did very little in the way of exercise or organized athletics while i worked on perfecting my newfound craft, often working 14-16 hours a day -- all the while, i still ate like a man who worked out for 3 hours a day (you can see where this is going)
I woke up one day, looked in the mirror, and said to myself "I don't like the way i look anymore" , plus i was on high blood pressure pills to boot. I am now on the comeback trail and am actively monitoring what i eat with a diet notebook, plus i have hit the gym. I don't use the same gym program now either -- in my early 40's now and with a full time job, i just don't have the time to properly recover from long, exhausting workouts -- so i am using a modified version of the Body For Life workout --- at first i scoffed at it too because it seemed way too basic -- but sometimes its good to get back to basics. I feel a little like i am going full circle and it feels darn good to get in a basic weight workout and then look at my diet log later and see that i've been eating clean food.

And as i mentioned earlier ----- i think its pretty darn cool that we have a 3 page thread going on exercise ! :D
Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Deleted
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

-------
Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Crossfit work is fine. Tabata work is fine too as are Kettlebells. Most any cardiovascular work is great. But it won't make you STRONG.

One thing I'll say about the average lifter, and I've trained thousands in the last 20+ years, the average everyday person is weak. Even college lifters that I've trained are weaker than one would think if you just listened to ESPN. The numbers you hear there are not the average. BUT, a college football player, especially a professional football player is just that, a football player. Everything else comes second, and lifting weights isn't even second.

I've even trained loggers that are used to throwing 2 coils of haywire over their shoulders, a shackle in each hand and take off across a clearcut, packing about 200lbs. But put him in the weight room where a specific lift is being executed and you'll find that he is weak and has trouble starting out with a 75lb squat and usually not much over a 100lb bench because he is too weak to press overhead and can't dip his BW. If he can stay after it long enough he'll quickly build a large squat and a bit military or bench and that will help with his work.

Now, Madmans particular WO isn't for everyone, that is for sure. But in his mid 50's after years of lifting, he's earned what he's doing. There comes a time in every lifters life where he does what HE ENJOYS, not what he's done for the past 30 years. Otherwise he will burn out and he'll end up as a pudgy couch potato like 95% of the rest of the population. Do what you love and you'll love what you do.

Strength training is just that and Tabata or Crossfit or any other flavor of the week is not strength training. Both my wife, my lifting partner and a few other people use them as just some 'extra' work. If one wants to become strong he will SQUAT (#1), he will DEADLIFT (#2), he will BENCH PRESS (#3), he will MILITARY PRESS (#4) and he will CHIN (#5). And/or he will use variations of the before mentioned movements. Front squat instead of backsquatting. Trapbar deadlift, Romanian DL or Stiff leg deadlift instead of a Bent legged deadlift. He will close Grip bench, Dip, or Dumbell bench instead of a standard bench. He can perform Dumbell presses, Push presses or Push jerks instead of a Military press. He can do Bent rows, One arm rows or pulldowns instead of chins.

But strength training is strength training, Crossfit is Crossfit, Kettlebells are Kettlebells and Tabata is Tabata. That is talking apples and oranges and mangos and limes.

I have no problems believing Madman since I've trained and trained with a few Garage Gorillas that have performed some spectacular lifts in their own little areas that have no interest in anything but their specific beloved lifts and no interest in competition.

2x22
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2X22 wrote:Crossfit work is fine. Tabata work is fine too as are Kettlebells. Most any cardiovascular work is great. But it won't make you STRONG.

Strength training is just that and Tabata or Crossfit or any other flavor of the week is not strength training. Both my wife, my lifting partner and a few other people use them as just some 'extra' work. If one wants to become strong he will SQUAT (#1), he will DEADLIFT (#2), he will BENCH PRESS (#3), he will MILITARY PRESS (#4) and he will CHIN (#5). And/or he will use variations of the before mentioned movements.

Crossfit won't make you strong? Depends on your definition of strength and your own personal goals. I would venture an educated guess that the vast majority of men and women who train in the US are more interested in functional strength than in specialized singular purpose strength and big 1RM's (one rep max's) -- this is where programs like Crossfit shine (i can't comment on Tabata or kettleballs - no opinion either way. BTW , i am not a cross fit disciple as it does not fit with my sports goals , but i do recognize a good program for people who "need a program" )
I personally have no qualms with the most of the lifts you mentioned, but my personal training program centers around power production and not large 1RM's . Training for peak strength rather than power and explosiveness would cut my recovery time down to where i couldnt effectively perform my sports specific drills and training - the Olympic lifts give me much more bang for the buck in that regard
Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Deleted
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Streetstar wrote:Crossfit won't make you strong? Depends on your definition of strength and your own personal goals.
Exactly!
I would venture an educated guess that the vast majority of men and women who train in the US are more interested in functional strength than in specialized singular purpose strength and big 1RM's (one rep max's) --

I would agree. However, the 'big five' that I mentioned will build functional strength in a big way. Extra assistance work once the 'big five' are mastered help out even more. Work on those lifts and you build foundational strength that no other program can match and have not matched for over a century. Once that foundation is built which is so very simply done, then the trainee is set to try out other programs though should never neglect foundational work.
I personally have no qualms with the most of the lifts you mentioned, but my personal training program centers around power production and not large 1RM's . Training for peak strength rather than power and explosiveness would cut my recovery time down to where i couldnt effectively perform my sports specific drills and training - the Olympic lifts give me much more bang for the buck in that regard
MY personal training programs do center around fairly regular large 1RM's. However, those I train and have trained do not. But this is a shooting site and and I would venture a guess that there are very few who are involved in competative sports outside of shooting. Therefore I tend to ask a beginning trainee to focus on the 'big five' to start out with, working for years building simple foundational strength. A training session can be finished in 15 to 90 minutes depending on what is worked on and is easily continued for years, hopefully until the trainee is simply to old to train anymore.

In my own case I have worked for nearly 3 decades using the 'big five' and their variations working up to some relatively large one rep maxes. Because of that, in my mid 50's I can still hike the very steep mountains, can carry a fairly heavy pack and can still pack 4 quarters of an elk out by myself though I admit I take any and all help offered... :lol: To me, that is what weight training is designed for, functional strength. And no, my name ain't Louie Simmons nor is it Dr Ken Leistner :wink:

2x22
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Deleted
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

------------
Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

-----
Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Deleted
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

------
Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Deleted
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Deleted
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

-------------
Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Streetstar wrote: I would not be able to perform the Olympic lifts correctly with beneficial poundages if it weren't for a solid background with all the lifts you mentioned.
I didn't mention olympic lifts simply because they are difficult to learn on your own and are best learned with an attentive coach present. I've taught the clean in all variations, push jerks, C&J, snatches, etc in person, but would never attempt to over the 'net. Add to that the 'older' people on Leverguns who may be interested in lifting should never attempt Oly lifting but instead should learn on the absolute basic of the basics, the 'big five'.
..only now i do most of my upper body work with heavy dumbbells to recruit more of the stabilizing muscles and to keep my connective tissue in shape
To me dumbells are merely another tool, one that I employ myself with great regularity. In fact right now I am currently working hammer curls, DB benches and one arm rows very hard IN ADDITION TO the normal foundational work that needs to be performed on a regular basis. To me, unless one has physical injuries or disabilities that create a barrier to using a barbell or having no spotter available, the barbell is #1 in building strength. The smaller stabalizing muscles are important but often too much importance is placed on them and the barbell is forgotten for too long.

You'll notice I put the emphasis on getting under a bar to very near the exclusion of everything else. That is to pound home my theme about overall weakness of the general public. Nothing, absolutely nothing builds basic foundational strength better or quicker than getting under the bar. Every single person on this site would become stronger than most of the world if they were to just spend their time under the bar with the 'big five' I've mentioned endlessly.

And back to Madman for the last time, I will defend what he's doing for a few simple reasons. While I find what he is doing to be absolutely fantastic work in one of weight trainee's most enjoyable lifts, the bench press, after training so many people myself I find it unremarkable in that I have witnessed many remarkable things in person. Such as a 16 year old in my weight training class bench press 135lbs for over 20 reps at a BW of less than 140lbs. Or the 18 year old in the same class that attempted three times to push press 300lbs to set a new school record at a BW of 180lbs and GOT IT on the 3rd attempt after I warned him not to as I was concerned about his fatigue.

Remarkable is the 17 year old girl in one of the other weight classes that was attempting to set a new school record in the farmers walk using 120lb 'bells in each hand. One of the girls walking with her and shouting encouragement along with the rest of the class and was the current record holder that the young lady was trying to knock off the board, was openly crying knowing she was about to be beaten at the only record she had ever held and would ever hold but couldn't stop cheering her friend and lifting partner on. At the end everyone in the class was crying along with her, myself included, excited about the new record but so very sad for her. THAT was remarkable.

Madman is not only attempting to cajole others into lifting but also keeping a log so to speak in order to hold himself to a higher level in a public attempt at a personal record he covets. That is not to be discounted nor ridiculed. If it helps bring in just one more trainee to lifting and the accompanying health, he has done a great job in helping move our sport forward.

2x22
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2x22,(and others)I am sorry for this debate.
2x22,I cherish the day soon we meet and lift some together.(I will pm you on this)

For everyone else,don't let this debate prevent you from wanting to get in shape even if it's a little to help your health.
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:
Streetstar wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Streetstar------OMG

Person that can't handle someone being better than their wimpy self.

Why don't we just go on a Hunting trip of Joe's(86er's) and we can arm wrestle for our cars and see what's what?
I am willing to bet mine(nice Nissan Maxima)how bout you?? Where is that pic??????????
Your chance to show everyone what a wimp I am??? :wink:
PM sent dude --
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got your pm---------------------------agreed!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I just thought of something that absolutely everyone on this board can easily and cheaply do, assuming that we haven't lost their interest. Something I poo pooed for years until I did them.

Go to your WalMart, Big Five or whatever and buy one of those little 'Ab Rollers'. They run about $10 or so. As far as I am concerned they are the bees knees. Performed 3X per week and maybe 20 seconds per session, the results are amazing. Just one set of 5 or more reps, done from your knees will do things for your abs that you haven't felt since high school! :D I think the instructions come with them but if anyone needs any help, don't be shy, ask for help. It is wonderfully easy and the results from your pubic bone to sternum have to be experience to be believed!

2x22
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Without ranting and carrying on and on-----------Let's just say(misson accomplished)
To be fair to streetstar -------Maybe I do the motion faster than what is legal in a pro comp???
I don't bounce it but I go FAST!

To me,it seems not so much having it going up/down being the factor,but how long you hold it off rack??

What I mean is I held it for 1.5 minutes and had all I wanted to do for 10 reps???????
So maybe my quick 40 might not be accurate?????? I think how long it's in your hands is a big factor?

Maybe I will youtube it pretty soon,you guys judge?(notice I don't picture post almost anything cause I su## at putting pics/video on here.
Can't even get my pic next to my name on here :lol: :roll: :oops:

Anyhow, nuff said!
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I doubt I've lost weight on the rower, maybe a pound or two (because exercise makes me hungry :oops: )but I've lost a couple or three inches, and feel better, and back does not hurt as much....that's a good enough reason to keep hittin' it. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:Without ranting and carrying on and on-----------Let's just say(misson accomplished)
To be fair to 2X22-------Maybe I do the motion faster than what is legal in a pro comp???

To me,it seems not so much having it going up/down being the factor,but how long you hold it off rack??

What I mean is I held it for 1.5 minutes and had all I wanted to do for 10 reps???????
So maybe my quick 40 might not be accurate?????? I think how long it's in your hands is a big factor?

Maybe I will youtube it pretty soon,you guys judge?(notice I don't picture post almost anything cause I su## at putting pics/video on here.

Anyhow, nuff said!

After our exchange last week concerning exercise philosophy -- i want to be the first to say Congratulations ----- (seriously-- savor the flavor - 40 reps with 205 is radical)

As far as how fast your reps are, ---- as long as you feel they weren't too sloppy, then you are probably the best judge of that ---(I don't like the guys that only do what looks like a 1/2 to 5/8 rep, but if its a legal rep, its legal )
-- I'll go back to my nfl analogies --- these guys actually get special coaching on how to post up a special 225 test before the combine (well, depends on the player - a 6th round guy from East Popcorn State might not get much coaching) --- form goes out the window in a lot of cases.

Madman --- i applaud the 40, ---- One of these days, i would like to get up to PA and offer ya a spot (on the day ya hit 50 would be classic :D )
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:I doubt I've lost weight on the rower, maybe a pound or two (because exercise makes me hungry :oops: )but I've lost a couple or three inches, and feel better, and back does not hurt as much....that's a good enough reason to keep hittin' it. :lol:

Blaine
what kind of rower is yours? I have been contemplating adding one of these to my little studio --
but the price --- AArgghhh ---- I have ACL problems and treadmill work is getting hard on my knees and i get bored riding a bike indoors on a trainer

http://www.concept2.com/us/indoorrowers/d_home.asp
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Streetstar wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Without ranting and carrying on and on-----------Let's just say(misson accomplished)
To be fair to 2X22-------Maybe I do the motion faster than what is legal in a pro comp???

Anyhow, nuff said!

After our exchange last week concerning exercise philosophy -- i want to be the first to say Congratulations ----- (seriously-- savor the flavor - 40 reps with 205 is radical)

As far as how fast your reps are, ---- as long as you feel they weren't too sloppy, then you are probably the best judge of that ---(I don't like the guys that only do what looks like a 1/2 to 5/8 rep, but if its a legal rep, its legal )
-- I'll go back to my nfl analogies --- these guys actually get special coaching on how to post up a special 225 test before the combine (well, depends on the player - a 6th round guy from East Popcorn State might not get much coaching) --- form goes out the window in a lot of cases.

Madman --- i applaud the 40, ---- One of these days, i would like to get up to PA and offer ya a spot (on the day ya hit 50 would be classic :D )

Streetstar,
Thanks, Wednesday was indeed a good day!

Dude, see I pushed my brain too hard (above where I posted the (to be fair too)--was supposed to be you!(I fixed it)
For me(maybe I am just weird)it's kinda a question of the weight just being held(feels like thats what drains my strength)
I mean as soon as the weight goes up the way (it's coming back down)it almost feels like that takes less strength drain than holding it)because of the movement.
I would like too try some time just holding it straight up and see how long I could hold it????
I absolutely know trying to hold it halfway up would wipe me out fast!
Also same with when I totally wipe myself out and get stuck(one too many reps)and don't use the bench depress setup I have to catch the safety bars.(just holding it on my chest"even that 200lbs)drains me and I eventually have to use it? (safety bars are set about one inch below chest)so if I don't use it all the weight is on my chest)

Wonder If I tried incorporating (timed holding the weight) I mean lets say I could hold it(3 minutes)if I got to say 4 minutes do you think my bench reps would increase a lot???

Here is why I say this, while I start benching(I think for the first 30 reps)I hold my breath every 5-6 reps????
It goes fast---feels good.In my mind I counting like the 1-10 do ten more then think 20 do ten more then think 30
Now I have slowed---can't do the next ten that way.(the weight feels totally different)I am thinking back to 1 like I just picked up much heavier weight(the reps go slow and stop at the top for probably a second or so,with the last few maybe waiting even 2-3 seconds?
In fact (because I am cleaning/rearranging my weight room)has been a mess since moving back up here, I was using my old plain flat bench this morning and got stuck trying rep 41(got it right up to the rack touching it but couldn't get it around it??
Back down it comes,just holding it from weighing down on chest(I was done)tapped.No safety nothing?
After aboubt 3-4 minutes,I had to let one side down till the 20 kilo plate hit the ground then kinda pushed it on ground and sat up rolling it over my lap.(gonna have a nice bruise across left rib section) :lol: :oops:
I am just glad(didn't have more weight on it) my lab was looking at me like(your a fool look) :lol:

Later guy! (50???? Think I am pushing my luck)???????????
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:I just thought of something that absolutely everyone on this board can easily and cheaply do, assuming that we haven't lost their interest. Something I poo pooed for years until I did them.

Go to your WalMart, Big Five or whatever and buy one of those little 'Ab Rollers'. They run about $10 or so. As far as I am concerned they are the bees knees. Performed 3X per week and maybe 20 seconds per session, the results are amazing. Just one set of 5 or more reps, done from your knees will do things for your abs that you haven't felt since high school! :D I think the instructions come with them but if anyone needs any help, don't be shy, ask for help. It is wonderfully easy and the results from your pubic bone to sternum have to be experience to be believed!

2x22

Going to get one right now 2X22 (I trust you friend)
Thanks! :wink:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I stopped weight training 20 years ago. I ride bike, hike, row my dories, and go diving for dinner (ocean not dumpster :lol: ). My cholesterol and blood pressure are low, and a recent heart checkup was 100% healthy for my age (52). My dad did weight training pretty much all his adult life right up to the end even with congestive heart failure resulting in a double bypass, and new heart valve at 86. Following his example would not hurt. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:I just thought of something that absolutely everyone on this board can easily and cheaply do, assuming that we haven't lost their interest. Something I poo pooed for years until I did them.

2x22

Hey,
I got it $13.95 and also right next to it bought the Richard Simmons(Flat Stomach Video)$5 :lol:
Wife and I did both and I am starting to feel the stomach muscles setting up. :shock: She said she doesn't feel nothing(she's an animal)
Hopefully tomorrow I can get out of bed :lol:
Definitely the old gut muscles can aid with a tune up. Thanks! (I think???? :lol: )
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

First, a belated congradulations on the 40 reps! That is fantastic work, something not accomplished by many. I for one absolutely LOVE someone who will set a goal and keep their nose to the grindstone until they reach it! Of course, I am about the most goal oriented person you would ever meet.... :D

As to the ab roller. I found 3X per week was ALL I could handle. 4X was too much for sure. I started with 5 reps per session and slowly added until I could do 50 reps FROM MY KNEES. Then I started on them from a standing position. As per usual for me, I over did it. I have found that I can only do 1 single set per week from a standing position otherwise I find some severe ab pain, I think I may have actually started a tear somewhere as it took 2 weeks before I could do any again and I had to start over at 5 reps from my knees..... :lol: So now, still 3X per week, all three from my knees, with one day doing a standing set after using the ones from my knees as a warmup. My wife looked at my stomach this morning and wistfully said "I wish my stomach could look like that....."!

This is truly a fantastic movement that I am sad to say I overlooked for years since I thought ab rollers were an '80's fad and not much more. Nothing could be further from the truth.

For those with back pain this is a wonderful exercise that really help alleviate low back pain. Not remove it completely but will help immensely in the long term. Blaine.......? This would be a great movement to combine with your rowing machine.

2x22
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:First, a belated congradulations on the 40 reps! That is fantastic work, something not accomplished by many. I for one absolutely LOVE someone who will set a goal and keep their nose to the grindstone until they reach it! Of course, I am about the most goal oriented person you would ever meet.... :D

As to the ab roller. I found 3X per week was ALL I could handle. 4X was too much for sure. I started with 5 reps per session and slowly added until I could do 50 reps FROM MY KNEES. Then I started on them from a standing position. As per usual for me, I over did it. I have found that I can only do 1 single set per week from a standing position otherwise I find some severe ab pain, I think I may have actually started a tear somewhere as it took 2 weeks before I could do any again and I had to start over at 5 reps from my knees..... :lol: So now, still 3X per week, all three from my knees, with one day doing a standing set after using the ones from my knees as a warmup. My wife looked at my stomach this morning and wistfully said "I wish my stomach could look like that....."!

This is truly a fantastic movement that I am sad to say I overlooked for years since I thought ab rollers were an '80's fad and not much more. Nothing could be further from the truth.

For those with back pain this is a wonderful exercise that really help alleviate low back pain. Not remove it completely but will help immensely in the long term. Blaine.......? This would be a great movement to combine with your rowing machine.

2x22

Stomach was so sore today,starting doing just ONE from the knees(and it felt like someone was gutting me.(stopped halfway)
I over did it this weekend :roll:
Even starting to laugh almost turns into starting to cry.
Like you say-------------------It's unbelievable I haven't been using this.
You know it's working when you get anxiety to just use the bathroom. :lol: :oops: Even,sorry honey(not tonight) :oops:
Wow!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am currently 46, I just started getting back into a workout routine. It helps that they put a gym in at the office where I work and it is convienent to do it right after work. Last week I ran 15 miles total. Yesterday, I ran 4 miles in 28:50. I am also doing a little weightlifting and hope to start increasing back to at least CLOSE to what I used to bench when I was a young man. ITS HELL GETTING OLD!!! :cry:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”