Advice on 44MAG wheelgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Advice on 44MAG wheelgun

Post by Birdman »

Great choice. I have a 3 inch Gary Reeder 44 cal Redhawk but I have no qualms about your purchase. I also have the 627 PC revolver with the same length barrel and same grips except it's an 8 shot 357. Same frame. I was not too impressed with the stock grips. You mention the Pacmayer grips. I tried a set of those and ended up with a set of Hogues. The Pac's are skinnier than the Hogues. I prefered the Hogues but I used my drimel tool and rounded the butt of the grips more and also rounded off the finger grooves. I really like the feel after my customizing job. You will love that gun.
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

I don't care who you are...DAs are easier and quicker to reload and shoot. In any defensive situation, a quick reload is a high priority. I'm sure there are those who can shoot a SA pretty fast and maybe even reload fairly fast. Not that I am going to try to break any records with fast reloads, but you never know what kind of situation you are going to run into these days and I usually plan for the worst. A quick reload may be the determining factor in a life or death situation.
Howdy

With all due respect, I know guys who can empty a Single Action revolver faster than many can empty a 1911. I know lots of them. No contest on the loading aspect, but if you practice a little bit you can shoot a SA revolver very fast.

As far as a 3 inch 44 Mag - - - Good Luck. I own a couple of 44 Mags, a 5" 29 and a really old 6 1/2" Flat Top Blackhawk. I wouldn't dream of shooting full house 44 Mags in anything with a barrel less than 4 inches long. But I guess that's just me.

But bear this in mind. There are always lots of used 44 Mags on sale for good prices in just about any gun store you go into. Often with a half a box of ammo too. That's because lots of guys just had to have a 44 Mag, but once they found out what shooting one is like, they sold it.

So,
1. look for a good deal at the local gunstore, and
2. make sure you are not going to be one those half a box guys.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

congrats and I think you made a great choice....very handsome shooter....
and with the short barrel....light or mild loads are the way to go!
I load mine like a 44 special.....
Personally I like the hogue grips...I tend to get a much better grip with
them, than my pachs....they just fit my hands better....and i like the feel
of the rubber compound they use...it almost sticks to your hands....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS