22 rifle for hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Senior Levergunner

Re: 22 rifle for hunting

Post by 2571 »

New Mossberg Tactical levergun comes in .22. Supposedly a squirrrel-killing machine.
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

Got a ton of 22's but most times I'm carrying either my first model 60 or my Ruger 77/22 stainless with a Bushnell 3x9
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

tman wrote:Springfield model 83 singleshot bolt. It never misses. :wink:
My dad's 1934 Winchester Model 67a is right up there.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

This bolt action single shot did it for me in 1933 -

But, now I prefer this Browning BL22 -

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Low powered scoped (old eyes) 10/22 Ruger. IMO, can't be beat. Accurate, light and handy, well balanced even with a scope, quickly loaded with its 10 round magazine and reasonably priced.

Really liked a 9422 I had years ago, but it seemed somewhat big for its .22lr cartridge, awful pretty for a woods gun and the magazine tube follower had a hard time keeping its' place, so traded it off in a moment of weakness for something else ...I forget what.

Wanted to like the Marlin 39, but the two I owned over the last four decades or so never lived up to the accuracy "love" I'd been fed by its supporters. So they both went to other folks to appreciate.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bulldog1935 wrote:they jam in Marlin 39a, and not recommended by the manufacturer for Henry .22s
Hollowpoints work JUST FINE in the Ruger 96's - since they use the same 10-shot rotary magazine as the 10/22's do...*. I also use some rounds I've run through Paco's diameter-bumping tool, and they DO perform terminally on small varmints (and feed just fine, as well).

(*or you can also use the high-capacity 50-round ones, if you're so inclined).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

Hollowpoints seem to work fine so far in my 9422. :D
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

I dunno??? my 39 works fine with everthing and most hunting was done with hp's
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

In my opinion, there are a lot of good guns around - my BL22 digests everything I have fed it since I bought it in 1968 (dealer friend sold it to me for $115 - the same day he sold me a new Winchester 94 Buffalo Bill 30-30 Commemorative rifle for - would you believe $90!!) - HPs, even longs and shorts in the same magazine load with the long rifles of all breeds - though I usually shoot long rifle ammo. It's funny - back in the 1930s we were in deep depression and I shot shorts because they cost two bits per box and long rifles were four bits per box of 50. Now, it seems, shorts are more expensive than long rifles - at least the last time I priced them.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

6pt-sika wrote:
casastahle wrote:This is my one and only .22 rimfire ‘rifle’ I’ve ever owned.
I bought this Remington 541S new in 1979 as well as the Redfield 4X wide view scope.
Many a tree-rat & groundhog have been taken over the years with this Remington.
Her favorite ammo. is the Winchester T22. Hole through hole accuracy
(and yes I have the targets to prove it, indoor range @ York Rifleman :wink: )

I had a 541S a few years back and it shot tiny one hole 5 shot groups at 25 yards with a 6x Leupold Compact with and AO (off the bags of course). I got my best accuracy with then what was called "Eley Gold Benchrest" . Later when Remington brought out the Model 541T-HB I got one and it never held a candle to what the older 541S would do !
My cousin always envied my S model and what it could do.
So thinking he could one up me he bought one of those heavy barrel T models.
He found out as you did, not anymore accurate than my S and way to heavy
for slow walking the trails for squirrel.
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

Marlin 39a Image
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

wow! :shock: :mrgreen: Serious fun kit there.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
casastahle wrote:This is my one and only .22 rimfire ‘rifle’ I’ve ever owned.
I bought this Remington 541S new in 1979 as well as the Redfield 4X wide view scope.
Many a tree-rat & groundhog have been taken over the years with this Remington.
Her favorite ammo. is the Winchester T22. Hole through hole accuracy
(and yes I have the targets to prove it, indoor range @ York Rifleman :wink: )

I had a 541S a few years back and it shot tiny one hole 5 shot groups at 25 yards with a 6x Leupold Compact with and AO (off the bags of course). I got my best accuracy with then what was called "Eley Gold Benchrest" . Later when Remington brought out the Model 541T-HB I got one and it never held a candle to what the older 541S would do !
My cousin always envied my S model and what it could do.
So thinking he could one up me he bought one of those heavy barrel T models.
He found out as you did, not anymore accurate than my S and way to heavy
for slow walking the trails for squirrel.

The 541T-HB could shoot some really small groups . However the biggest consternation I had with it was the fact that EVERYTIME you shot it from a clean bore or a fouled bore that was cooled off it would throw the first shot maybe a 1/2" outta the group at 25 yards . Now granted for squills that isn't a big deal . But for shooting paper it was a PITA .

Strangely THE SMALLEST 5 shot group I ever shot at 25 yards with a 22LR was fired with a standard Winchester Model 61 I still own shooting the Eley Gold Benchrest and a old Weaver K10 on top . That group was .145" over the diameter of the bullet . A friend and I were shooting that day and he had a old Browning T Bolt with him that according to him was the best shooting 22 in the world . I shot my group and he tried for 2 hours to better it with no luck . He tried to get me to shoot mine again and I told him there was no need until he beat my group . He got a little PO'd , such is life . To this day he's never bettered it with that T Bolt :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Trying to get this old bird cranking and back into the field...an old family 22 that still has good strong rifling. It is a Ward's Western Field(Mossberg) made in 1937 only. I started using it at about age 4-5, and the amount of ammo it digested from five boys over many years, is beyond reckoning. I don't like bolt rifles but this one has an old timey look that I like alot.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I have four .22 rifles that are great fun and accurate.

My oldest is a Mossberg semi-auto that dates from the late 1940's and was a gift from my father, but for hunting there is no doubt which I would choose, my Ruger 77/22 that I bought in the first year they were made. It has iron sights but also wears a 3x9 scope. It is a full sized rifle and is extremely accurate.

My favorite rifle for carrying in the woods and camping is a beautiful little Browning BL-22.

I also have a Ruger 10/22 because everybody has one. Someday I am going to change the barrel and a few other things to see if I can make it into a tack driver. Right now my granddaughter thinks it is hers.

Considering all the guns I have owned over the last 50+ years, I think all my .22's may be my favorites.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

damienph wrote:I have (and shoot) several 22LR rifles but my absolute squirrel hunting tack driver is my CZ452 American. These rifles are absolutely incredible. I don't know what they are going for now but mine was OTD for under $350. One of my best ever buys!
I love my CZ as well. It's a 452 Magnum with a Mannlicher stock. Freaking deadly but preferrs the heavier bullets, 40-45 grains.

My 50's vintage Marlin 39 is a close second. After that my 10-22.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Derenius
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Derenius »

Well, I only have one .22 caliber. So I guess I´d take that one. It´s my Winnie 9422M, and I love it. Granted, the WMR is a bit pricier to shoot a lot, but for hunting I really love it. These things are really nicely built and put together!
Here it is, all cozy together with my 1894, before I fixed up the wood on the 1894:

hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I like this one. A Mark XXII Weatherby.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.