Basset hounds?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Basset hounds?

Post by Pitchy »

What ya think of this big boy, 4 year old male.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

All I think of looking at the photo is "Look at all that hair..." :lol:

You seem to be thinkin' about a big dog, Pitchy.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

He might be available soon. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I feel bad for Rosie.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Nice looking dog! He probably eats like a horse and leaves dropping like one too. He looks like an outside dog to me with that thick hair. I had a Husky that would come in the house in the winter for only a very short time (even when -20 out) and then she would want out because she was too hot. She had a warm dog house but she would sleep on the snow and be happy as anything. She really didn't like summer very much.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Newfie's are incredible dogs, though, smart and strong. They drool a lot and don't have long life, but I'd take one in a heartbeat !
They love the water and the snow, kinda like a giant Lab!

Hope ya get him!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pitchy wrote:Checking into these.

Is that a Bouvier des Flanders? If so, they get real big, eat alot and well expell alot. My sis has one, it is one fantastic dog. I think like many of the large breeds, they can be so gentle because no one gives them any trouble. But give them trouble, and you'll get it back in spades.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

No that is not a Bouvier, I've trained a couple Bouviers for Schutzhund, good solid dogs for protection.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yepper a Newfoundland. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

My Sister has Jack Russels. Talk about a hyper dog. Have you seen the commercial about the dog jumping in the air behind a couch, thats a JR. I have had Cocker Spaniels, have to cut their hair couple times a year. Wife had a mini Schnauzer, pretty good dog, but has to trim her hair too. She liked to check out skunks. Three times in 1 week!!

Prior to that, an akita/shar-pei cross. That was one smart dog. Loved the cold. We could leave for a few days and he watched the property. You come walking down the road in front of the house and he would run out to the edge of the property and just walk along with you, watching you. Never went in the road. Cancer got him at 6 yr old.

Labs, at least the ones the neighbors had, loved to chew things, table legs , chair legs, my new trees. Could always tell when he had come in my yard as there would be a chunk of wood somewhere. I am talking fireplace log or 2x4.

Tried to talk the wife into a rat terrier/poodle cross. That should be a good combo.

May go to the pound tomorrow and see what they have. Lately, it has been pit bull or australian sheppard types, but not much else.

Labradoodle is a good larger breed. Friend of the wife has one. Good dog.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

piller wrote:PillHer has a subset of Jack Russell called an Atlas Terrier. It is an almost solid black Jack Russell. That dog, Sparkle Diamond, is so smart that she has learned to obey some American Sign Language. Sparkle has unlimited energy, and loves to sleep on your lap. She will suddenly go turbocharging around the house as if chasing an imaginary rocket powered rat, then come back as if nothing has happened. She loves everyone. She has also killed a few rats and mice around the place. Atlas Terriers are worth looking into.
My miniature schnauzer can also obey sign language. When you think of it, dogs are sign language capable from birth. They use dog sign language with each other!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Hobie wrote:My miniature schnauzer can also obey sign language. When you think of it, dogs are sign language capable from birth. They use dog sign language with each other!
Quite right, Hobie. My Dad has always had bird dogs that he trains from puppy with vocal and hand signals for each command. When the dog is across a field, they can understand the instruction even if they can't hear him. I also have used this when training my dogs and it's great when you want to be quiet and still talk to the dog.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

We have no idea if Snoop wandered off looking for us and left the park or if someone grabbed him and took him out of the park or if someone has him in the park.
Snoopy is very hard to catch and won`t let anyone near him but us which makes it hard for me to believe someone has him in the park.
If someone cornered him somewhere maybe they could catch him.
My feeling is he pushed the door open and got on our scent to where the car was and then followed the scent out of the park and down the road. He had around a two hour head start by the time we got back then it started raining and continued all night.
I thought that the rain would wash away his tracks so he wouldn`t be able to find his way back but a guy told me that animals can sense their way back, i don`t know.
So seeing it`s been three weeks i`m guessing he is dead or someone has him in their house.
Or a year from now he`ll find his way back too MN which would be a miracle.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pitchy,
Really sorry about Snoopy and I wanted to mention Airedale Terriers to you. I've had two of the big 100 lb. + that some people call Oorang Airedale. Really liked both those dogs. Would hunt anything you wanted to hunt, follow a blood trail and fast enough to catch a deer. Such good retrievers that I expected one to show up with a wounded deer he had trailed down and brought back. Very territorial but hard to keep in a fence. I'm lookin' for another right now. Lost my last big dog, Rott/Lab bitch that was one super dog, only a few months ago. Stuck her head in a gallon zip-lock for some old pizza and suffocated.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry about your dog pard :(
I don`t use a dog for any kind of hunting, just want a friend.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

Picthy

So sorry to hear about Snoopy and your loss. As to a new dog, you have been given a lot of great choices and info. AKC show is this month...a great place for info and it is entertaining. I worked a Bloodhound, German Shepherd and a Black Lab for my Law Enforcement Agency, worked with a guy who had a Rotty and another guy who had a Giant Schnauzer. What I learned is that all of the breeds offer something great and all have some drawbacks. The good always out weighs the bad! I lost my Shephard to a hit and run driver...held him as he passed....it still brings tears to my eyes...the Blood hound died of old age and I held her too...and I sill have tears...been 10 years this past January 1st...

Hang in there. Good luck on your search...that Landseer Newfy looks great...a little hair and drool are nothing...they are wonderful dogs!
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks pard and your story brought me tears.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pointshoot
Levergunner

Post by Pointshoot »

My Dad, Lord rest his soul, had a Basset as a kid. He wanted another when we moved to a farm. Ole' Snoopy was about one of the dumbest dogs I've been around. He would not take directions and didnt seem to be able to learn much at all. My farmer uncle called him 'the b*tard hound' because he often chased our cows and calves. He barked and howled at night, seemingly for no reason at all.
One day he didn't come home. We dont know if coyotes got him or a neighboring farmer who got tired of him chasing their livestock. (Sometimes he would follow a pack of local stray dogs that roamed the area.)

That was the one case where everyone wasn't all upset after a dog went missing. And, I think my Dad was happy not to hear
the complaining from my uncle over the stupid 'b*tard hound'.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Springer pups
I rest my case :)
Had to post this - one of my favorite pics - though sadly not mine,...but I've had several that look just like this. The one on the right looks to me like a wise old man in a puppy's body!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Now you've done it. If my wife sees this we'll have 3 of those comedians.

I don't know if other breeds have a sense of humor, but I know Springers do for sure.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nothing to do with you Pitchy. I just started thinking about dogs and family and thought I'd post these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool pics, those springers are nice. 8)
We arn`t getting very far on our search for a dog and miss snoopy somethin terrible.
One of these days the right one will come along. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Pitchy, I really can't visualize you with a big dog. Just from the posts you have made, with walks in the woods and such with Snoopy, I have to say I think a Jack Russell would fit your lifestyle. I would not recommend a JR to someone who was sedentary and could not give the dog the kind of attention and activity required for a JR.

I have owned 4 of the little rascals in my lifetime, and have to say they are the most fun, and the smartest little s**ts. A JR is a dog you must have a relationship with, because they won't have it any other way. They will run themselves ragged playing fetch or running bunnies, and then curl up next to you for the evening. In addition, they are "portable" and easy to travel with.

One does have to shop carefully for a JR, however...

Here is a pic of my "Little Joe." Lost him to a rattler........ He was a game little warrior to the end.

Good luck with your search, and sure sorry about Snoopy.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry for your lose of a best friend Grizzly Adams, it`s hard to get over.
They look like a nice dog too and a good companion and great for traveling or staying home.
Thanks Pard. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Have a Jack and a beagle both,beagle was a digger when young not so now,13yrs.He does howl at every animal scent that the wind carries,but that is music to me.The jack is a good house alarm,barks at everything that doesn't belong here,both need room to roam.Get one of each :D
Rumble.com/ hickock45
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Grizzly, I'm so sorry about your little guy. Just one look and I can see why he was so special to you.
Hobie - great pics!
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Hmm

What about an ACD, Australian Cattle Dog?. You have them over there.

Low maintenance, smart and better than any water bottle in winter.

If you can get a red heeler, so much the better.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _Paavo.jpg

You won't regret one.

Cheers Mark
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Pitchy. I say your on the right track. Don't go LOOKING for a dog unless it's an emergency. When you find the right dog, preferably it will be needing a home, you will know it and you both will be happier for it. Scooter agrees.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Just keep an eye on your beer.

Our Penny, after one too many.

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

homefront wrote:Just keep an eye on your beer.

Our Penny, after one too many.

Looks like Penny has good taste in beer! I guess your OK until Penny starts fetching her own - unless you can teach her to "beer me." :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Homefront, what breed is your dog?
Beagle or Bassett
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Pitchy wrote:Homefront, what breed is your dog?
Beagle or Bassett
It looks like a walker enjoying a black and tan. :lol:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
animalzman
Levergunner

Post by animalzman »

Don't know much about bassets,but I had beagles,labs,daschunds'great pyrymesse, irish setter and now I'm a breeder of WEIMARANERS for the last 12 yrs and they truly are one of the best dogs I have ever dealt with. If I can be of help let me know I average about four litters a year.