Thinkin pocket guns.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Re: Thinkin pocket guns.......

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanks for the info everyone. While I know the trend on these pocket guns is towards, for obvious reasons, the .380's and 9's, I'm pretty well stuck on a .32. Have reasons but honestly, they probably don't make much sense and no reason to muddy up a thread :D As a matter of fact I'd be more prone to go the rimfire route due to ammo affordability over something bigger. But IME findin a reliable pocket semi-auto rimfire is akin to winning the lotto. YMMV.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. While I know the trend on these pocket guns is towards, for obvious reasons, the .380's and 9's, I'm pretty well stuck on a .32. Have reasons but honestly, they probably don't make much sense and no reason to muddy up a thread :D
I once read somewhere that the Poles or some country in eastern Europe switched from .32 to 9mm Kurz because the .32 was killing too many people shot with it.
As a matter of fact I'd be more prone to go the rimfire route due to ammo affordability over something bigger. But IME findin a reliable pocket semi-auto rimfire is akin to winning the lotto. YMMV.
I see a lot of .380 on shelves. Have you seen the price of .22, and how hard it is to find?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

sore shoulder wrote:
I see a lot of .380 on shelves. Have you seen the price of .22, and how hard it is to find?
No doubt, but I'm sitting on about 4000 rounds of .22lr and don't have to dig thru the grass at my range to find brass after practice. The little .22 doesn't have many advantage but it has at least one.

Now I'm also lookin at the NAA Mini's again.... Oh, the humanity!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Were I a policeman or in a military, I'd be carrying a Glock 27, or a Colt Commander. Being a peace loving civilian, going about my buisness and not looking to get into a gunfight, the 32 makes sense. And if i get backed into a corner, 8 shots in the head at extremely close range with the 32 will suffice.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I got one of the early .32 Tomcats, I had had a 950 BS in .22 short so was used to and liked the tip up barrel Beretta design. I have been very happy with it; it fits into the back pocket of my 501s and doesn't print. I have it loaded with Grizzly Extreme .32 so it packs some punch, although the gun was designed for Silver Tips which have been hard to find, at least here in California.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Tomcat is a great choice in 32. The 21 is a very reliable 22lr
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

jazman wrote:I got one of the early .32 Tomcats, I had had a 950 BS in .22 short so was used to and liked the tip up barrel Beretta design. I have been very happy with it; it fits into the back pocket of my 501s and doesn't print. I have it loaded with Grizzly Extreme .32 so it packs some punch, although the gun was designed for Silver Tips which have been hard to find, at least here in California.

I had a bad experience with a Tomcat. They are great little guns, and that straight magazine feed lets it feed any .32 ammo on the market without a jam. The problem can be getting a spent round out.

My experience was with a bad round. All factory ammo. I fired the first, the second failed to fire. There is no extractor on the flip up barreled Berettas. it depends on the blow back to push the brass against the bolt to cock the weapon. I flipped up the barrel and the round would not flip out. I was stuck, high and dry.

Good thing I was at the range and not in some alley.

(Every couple of months, when I'm at the range, I pull out the carry gun I'm currently carrying and let a few go. No cleaning, or wiping, or massaging. Pull it and fire, just as I would in a tight spot. It will keep you honest.)

Now I carry a Keltec .380 in my back pocked in a Desantis pocket holster. I fold an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper in fours and slid it between the holster and the outside of the pocket. The gun does not print.

Hornaday's new Critical Defense Ammo has some great ballistics. It's expansion is uniform and averages 12" of penetration Good in any .380. It makes the little "Picket Pal" close to a .38 snubby.

The old timers used to say about a .380 "Its the gun you carry, when you're not carrying a gun." But it will do with a tee shirt and jeans. next is my Kahr PM-9, then my Kimber 3" ultra carry, then my pro carry II
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Walther PPK/S in .380 has always been my favorite. Just a few months ago I picked one up in stainless ....

Cheers,

Carl
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Now I'm also lookin at the NAA Mini's again.... Oh, the humanity!
OK, got my moment of clarity back (kinda). Mini's are to the back burner again.

rjohns94 wrote:Tomcat is a great choice in 32. The 21 is a very reliable 22lr
What can you tell me about the 21? (I've heard of some issues)

While I'd much prefer the .32 in a fight I much prefer a .22lr for practice and sending lead down range. So I'm mixing myself all up. Gun I carry a lot, shoot very little or a gun I carry a lot and shoot substantially more? I have a headache.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

21s shoot stingers like balls a fire. Cci mini mags too. I think my three have been 100 percent reliable. I know of several friends who have them based on my recommendation and its their experience also.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Marlin32 wrote:Ha! Have the same raven, hated carrying it due to awful safety!!
Ya know, as bad as the Raven is I gotta say mine works. After 8 or 10 years in hiatus I took it out and ran the remainder of the original box of ammo I bought for. Hit what I shot at and ran fine after all these years. Held 6 rounds out for "in case of emergency" which should last me another 10 years till I get bored and shoot it again.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Bobthemotorcycle wrote:

Wow.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

sore shoulder wrote:
Bobthemotorcycle wrote:

Wow.
Heck as long as we have wandered this far astray, I have their big brother. I thought about doing the birds head treatment to it.

This one's .44 cal. And I have from time to time carried it concealed, but only when whimsy strikes me.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've always had a soft spot for "pocket" C&B guns...

Now that I'm back near a PC (rather than a Phone)... here is how an NAA Guardian (.32acp) stands up:

(yes, I'm talking it up... it's the only handgun that I can/do/will take SWIMMING with me...)

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Seems too small to hold on to during shooting.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yes, it's a little snappy but You'd be surprised...

The guys at the last shoot I when to were when we did a "bug" scenario and I rang the pepper popper 5 of 7 times @ 10 yds... from the back-pocket-draw.

Did better than anyone else - including the Bersa and a Rohbar.

Was shooting Grizzly all-copper loads (actually a mistake because I hated wasting them over my just as accurate, but much cheaper Fiocci 60gr SJHP...)

At across-the-room distances this little gun will do almost anything I need it to - even without "sights".
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Mescalero wrote:Seems too small to hold on to during shooting.
The finger stop on those makes all the difference. Otherwise it's very hard to near impossible to grip those tiny things tight enough to stop them from rotating in your hand.
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

sore shoulder wrote:
Mescalero wrote:Seems too small to hold on to during shooting.
The finger stop on those makes all the difference. Otherwise it's very hard to near impossible to grip those tiny things tight enough to stop them from rotating in your hand.
Takes a little practice, but it's doable.

I save the "Pinkey Mag" for a stressfire reload. It changes the "wallet" carry profile too much otherwise and actually hangs up on stuff.

But after the first 6+1, you bet I'm going to need all the help I can get...

Oh, and for ammo I ABSOLUTELY recommend the 60gr Fiocci SJHP in the NAA as GP/Practice ammo. Mike's Grizzly Copper is what's in the top 7, but after that everything is the Fiocci, which is slightly hotter.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Ironsights wrote: It changes the "wallet" carry profile too much otherwise and actually hangs up on stuff.
Rule #1- NEVER put anything in the same pocket with your pocket pipsqueak.

All it took was one time of retrieving my keys from my pocket, only to find the full size carabiner they are attached to was also hooked through the trigger guard and pulling on the trigger. Thank you Ruger for the long. heavy DA pull on the LCP.

I never have an issue with the hook snagging, but I wear loose cargo type pants or slacks always. I stopped wearing tight jeans long ago in favor of comfort and freedom of movement. Most days around the house or jobsite I'll be wearing my old issue BDU's.
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That's why it's a "back pocket wallet" carry gun and not a front pocket carry gun... and one of the main reasons I prefer it & the Hedley Holster over the plastic Keltec (which is a fine gun in its own right... if you understand its rimlock limitations).

And being 99% stainless, I really HAVE carried it in a nylon holster in the pocket of a pair of swimtrunks while swimming in Lake Michigan near Gary...

Homey ain't dumb. If you are near Gary, you better be packing...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Ironsights wrote:the plastic Keltec (which is a fine gun in its own right... if you understand its rimlock limitations).
Ruger LCP <--------
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

sore shoulder wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:the plastic Keltec (which is a fine gun in its own right... if you understand its rimlock limitations).
Ruger LCP <--------
Agreed... but bigger. ;)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

One finger hold on a .25 is a piece of cake. Is the .32 all that much more? (recoil-wise)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

rimlock limitations?
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Ironsights wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
Ruger LCP <--------
Agreed... but bigger. ;)
Barely :lol:

But bullet is also bigger. :lol:
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

L_Kilkenny wrote:One finger hold on a .25 is a piece of cake.
That's because you can throw a .25 harder than it shoots from a gun. :lol:

Seriously though, years ago one of my friends was shot point blank (arms length) in the chest 5 times by his father (long story) with a .25, and survived. He wasn't even wearing a shirt. Not on my list at all, I'd seriously take a sharp stick first.
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

L_Kilkenny wrote:One finger hold on a .25 is a piece of cake. Is the .32 all that much more? (recoil-wise)
Not really. (IMO)
tman wrote:rimlock limitations?
The Keltec had some issues with recoil causing the semi-rimless .32s to hop behind the rim of the next cartridge in the magazine locking up the gun.

Google ".32 rimlock"

Some Size Comparison:

OH, BTW, I call it "Noisy Cricket"...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Had a local shoe repairman sew a pouch for me out of very thin leather, rough side out. This was mainly to cover the trigger and keep pocket lint out of the gun. I carry it behind my wallet in the right front pocket of my jeans. Wallet hides the gun and I can get the gun out quickly grabbing the butt end. Rough leather grabs the pocket and smooth inside does not hinder the draw at all. I use it for either my Keltec or Ruger .380's. These guns are so light and easy to carry, I don't even think about them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'm kind of drawn to the Taurus 651 357 magnum.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Ruger LCP (tiny) or LC-9 in a pocket holster. I like the 9, better power, can find ammo, Im sizable so it fits me fine. Price is right where it should be. Oh, you can get either with lazer set up too.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Old Ironsights wrote:
L_Kilkenny wrote:One finger hold on a .25 is a piece of cake. Is the .32 all that much more? (recoil-wise)
Not really. (IMO)
tman wrote:rimlock limitations?
The Keltec had some issues with recoil causing the semi-rimless .32s to hop behind the rim of the next cartridge in the magazine locking up the gun.

Google ".32 rimlock"

Some Size Comparison:

OH, BTW, I call it "Noisy Cricket"...
Thanks for the heads up.Looks like I'm okay with hardcast and FMJ.Learn something new everday around here 8)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Have had seacamps in 32 and .380. My brother currently has the .32. A great firearm.
Mike Johnson,