defense shot gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: defense shot gun

Post by Griff »

Rusty wrote:The 870 seems to be the standard that everything else is compared to, hmmm, I wonder why?

It's all I use. I'm looking for another Wingmaster right now myself.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

sore shoulder wrote:
DPris wrote:
The Mossberg receiver stretching is not a myth.
Ok, I have a simple question.

If the Mossberg receiver is stretching...what is specifically causing the stretching?

Just to be fair, this is a very loaded question. You should be very careful how you answer this, and at least be familiar with how the bolt lockup works on a Mossberg 500. And I'll add, if you know how the 500 bolt lockup works, you will know exactly why the receiver stretch is in fact a myth.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

It's been attributed to high-volume use of magnum loads.
Denis
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

DPris wrote:It's been attributed to high-volume use of magnum loads.
Denis
Explain how that stretches the receiver when the bolt lockup is into the barrel extension not the receiver?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

There's still stress placed on the frame.
I'm not going to argue the point, buy a Mossberg if you like Mossbergs.
Denis
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

DPris wrote:There's still stress placed on the frame.
I'm not going to argue the point, buy a Mossberg if you like Mossbergs.
Denis
Even a magnum 12ga only generates around 15,000psi, which I believe is between 4-5000 psi of bolt thrust. To put in perspective, the bolt thrust on a 300winmag is around 12,000 psi. Besides the fact that mechanically that is transferred to the barrel extension, not the reciever. I will submit again that the Mossberg reciever does not stretch, it's design precludes it, and the claims that it does are manufactured. It's the same reason you can put a 10mm pistol barrel and slide on a plastic frame.
11B30
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Buy the Mossberg.
As I said- I'm not going to argue with you over it.
I'll stick to the Remingtons, you do whatever makes you happy.
Denis
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I do like these older Winchester models too. :mrgreen:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

DPris wrote:Buy the Mossberg.
As I said- I'm not going to argue with you over it.
I'll stick to the Remingtons, you do whatever makes you happy.
Denis
This was never about you or what you would buy, it was about helping someone make an informed choice concerning what is a truly reliable pump shotgun. I was accused of using "anecdotal evidence" concerning my experience with 870's. I did a search and supplied plenty of cited problems to take "anecdotal" evidence to the level of preponderance of evidence. This was further supported by testimony from other members here. 870's WILL jam if dirt gets in the receiver, and it can get in there easily.

I have been to several Army combat shotgun ranges and all the shotguns were Mossberg 590's and 500 pistol grips. In the two infantry units I've been in, all the shotguns in the armory were Mossberg 500's of some kind. I'm sure the military has 870's, I trust Mr Murphy on that, but I have never seen one in person. Additionally all the military base security forces I've seen use 590's.

There is a real reason for that. It's not anecdotal.

You use what you want, but I'm certainly going to make sure everyone has the real facts, which are, an 870 has a very real probability of jamming, and Mossberg 500's do not stretch, it's basically not mechanically possible, and the people who say this are the ones using "anecdotal" evidence because I promise you they have never seen it happen and they don't understand how the bolt lockup in a 500 works.
11B30
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Big factor in the military choosing the Mossberg over the Remington is costs.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

tman wrote:Big factor in the military choosing the Mossberg over the Remington is costs.
No.

Actually it was because it was the ONLY shotgun that passed the military evals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500
...the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". (The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements.[2])

Also, SF is not hindered by cost at all, guess what they chose?
In 2009 US Special Forces Groups procured Military Enhancement Kits to provide a standardized shotgun configuration based on the Mossberg 500. The kits included a collapsible stock, "shotgun retention system", 1913 receiver rail, forend rail system and breaching barrels. A total of 1301 shotguns were converted with the first unit being equipped in July 2009. The majority of the kits convert the standard issue shotgun to a 14" compact model with a 16" accessory breaching barrel.
11B30
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Intended for use in harsh and dirty conditions, such as waterfowl hunting or combat, the Model 500 series is designed to be easy to clean and maintain. The bolt locks into a locking lug located on the top of the barrel, ensuring a solid bolt-to-barrel connection and not relying on the receiver for any locking strength. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500

Mossberg 500 bolt showing it's single large locking lug on top which mates to top breech of barrel.

The Winchester 1300 utilize a rotary bolt with four locking lugs secured within the barrel extension similar in design to Armalite AR rifles.

Both of these shotguns utilize aluminum alloy in the receiver since the receiver not relied on for locking strength. The Browning BLR rifle which also utilizes an aluminum allow receiver also can handle the highest pressure modern cartridges due the it's multi-lug bolt locking into the barrel.

I do not believe any of the above firearms suffer from any "receiver stretching" as claimed by some.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31