What rifle are you hunting deer with this fall?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What rifle are you hunting deer with this fall?

Post by TedH »

Chris, that is a beautiful rifle! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

TedH wrote:Chris, that is a beautiful rifle! :mrgreen:
Thank you Ted! Yeah....the imagination runs wild when you pick it up. If you see a large clumsy middle aged white boy attempting to run through the woods like Daniel Day Lewis, you know why. ;)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Chris,
Now that is funny partner :lol: :lol:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:Don't laugh guys but yesterday shooting out back at the range with couple people I brought out one of my SKS's :lol:

and the gun is extremely small and light.

: :roll:

My lone experience with an SKS was different --- I borrowed one for a deer hunt about 17-18 years ago. I remember it was compact, and accurate enough for the task, -- but without a sling, toting that thing through the underbrush made it feel like it weighed 50 pounds at the end of the day

It felt like a chunky little tank of a gun and that one experience promptly removed any desire I might have had to own one --- granted, there are a lot of variants of SKS's, and mine still had the underfold bayonet and everything, so no attempts at all were made to lighten it up

I know it can't weigh anymore than some varmint rifles , or even one of my overweight, over-accessorized AR-15's , so it just might not carry that well for me
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Streetstar wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Don't laugh guys but yesterday shooting out back at the range with couple people I brought out one of my SKS's :lol:

and the gun is extremely small and light.

: :roll:

My lone experience with an SKS was different --- I borrowed one for a deer hunt about 17-18 years ago. I remember it was compact, and accurate enough for the task, -- but without a sling, toting that thing through the underbrush made it feel like it weighed 50 pounds at the end of the day

It felt like a chunky little tank of a gun and that one experience promptly removed any desire I might have had to own one --- granted, there are a lot of variants of SKS's, and mine still had the underfold bayonet and everything, so no attempts at all were made to lighten it up

I know it can't weigh anymore than some varmint rifles , or even one of my overweight, over-accessorized AR-15's , so it just might not carry that well for me

:lol: :wink:

You know why bro ?
Dollars to doughnuts you were touting the Yugo Model SKS
Their a beast. The wood on their stocks are like ironwood and they have some extra weird stuff going on there, But they shoot very good, and also are built good. Back in the day we played with all of them being the Russian,Chinese,Yugo,and actually one guy had a Vietnamese made one modeled after the Russian one.

My Chinese SKS 56 without bayonet and assembly weighs 8.1lbs. Loaded with the Tapco Mag(5 +1 rds)it weighs 8.4lbs.
That ammo is light. 32rds per pound! even with stripper clips its only 32rds per 17.2 ozs.

Another reason to some guys when carrying it one handed it to them just feel bulkier. Example my Kel-Tec SU16-B It only weighs 4.5 lbs but wrapping a hand grip around it one handed and walking with it it feels heavier because of its shape. But I just suck it up if that's what I want to carry carrying it that way!

Trust me though the Chinese 56 Carbine without bayonet stuff etc. honestly totes pretty light. For what it is a .30cal Semi Rifle.

I still myself if getting one would stick with the Chinese 56 the barrel is chrome lined and they seem to really resist abuse. "corrosion"
One time the Made in China thing fly's!

Think back in the mid 80's bought 7 for $800 even! :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

Never once have EVER had a jam,and we are talking shooting the Chinese bulk stuff coming right from China. Those tuna cans. No English writing on them. Paid back then $53 per 1000rds. 2 Tins And again with that part of it never had a bad one!

My one SKS used as my primary SKS shooter would go shoot few hundred rds through it bring it inside and just stick it somewhere for a few months or longer and when time came to use it again.Just grab and go.
That ammo was mildly to wildly corrosive and never cleaned it :roll: She would be just dandy! Try that with a new $2K Browning or Weatherby ?? :lol: :wink: In fact I cleaned it yesterday and it looks new!

Young and foolish then would never do that now! But that gun could suck it up :?:

Speaking of young and foolish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j_53DO8EOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzAyu-MsKDo
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Didn't post in the thread before the season for the simple reason that I wasn't sure what I was taking until a day or two before going...

Took two rifles along to Wisconsin this past weekend: used the .308 Model 88 Winchester on Saturday and took an average doe to fill one antlerless herd control tag and got another that might've weighed 10 lbs less on Sunday morning w. the 444 Marlin. That took care of both antlerless tags I'd gotten and should completely fill up the remaining space in the freezer, so I'm done.
Didn't take any pics of the animals. However, the pic showing the Marlin has a bit of red from the deer on the other side of the tree showing just right of the trunk, about even w. the end of the mag tube.
SANY0001.jpg
SANY0004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Mum-intact 7mm Arisaka