Fighting knives?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Re: Fighting knives?

Post by firefuzz »

Buck Elliott wrote:Yep... If you fight with knives, you WiLL get cut, or stabbed, or both... Guaranteed !!
That's pretty much the long and the short of it.
Streetstar wrote:Regarding knife fighting ------- give a 12 year old a sharpie , then tell 'em to have at it

This will very crudely tell you how a knife fight will go for you.

There are techniques to be sure, but these take years to master , -- the most practical is the Phillipine method of "de-fanging the snake" --- that is, if you are at arms length, your opponent cant hit your body -- and instead of fatal thrusting strikes, concentrate instead on sweeping gestures across hands, fingers, forearms --- these cripple the ability of the hands to do their dirty work ---
--- as well, the thighs -- if you can reach them , ---well placed cuts here can have predictable results
A lot can be learned in 5 minutes with a sharpie or a rubber knife or ruler chalked with chalk-line chalk about how good we AREN'T. Most of us aren't quick enough to avoid all contact.

In the early 80's, after several reports of a peeping tom and one home intrusion in the same area, I helped teach a ladies "self defense" class, more of a home security lecture really, in the small town where I was a cop. Even after the above occurrences a lot of the ladies attending were reluctant to consider using a gun inside their homes, mainly out of concern of injuring one of their children, but had no problems carving up some stranger in their house. What I told them was a simplified version of the above: If they stick it out.. cut it off. Seemed to work out well, except for the perp we arrested a couple of weeks later in the ER seeking treatment after being slashed by a very sharp 10" carving knife in the hands of a very frightened single mom.

Kind of funny...when reading the report the DA called attention to the 7" cut on the suspects back shoulder. My partner at the time, a very old salt, simply said, "Well, I guess he wasn't leaving fast enough to suit her." The DA laughed and said something to the effect that the suspect should be thankful that mom didn't have a machete handy. :lol:
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
Streetstar wrote:Regarding knife fighting ------- give a 12 year old a sharpie , then tell 'em to have at it
There are techniques to be sure, but these take years to master , -- the most practical is the Phillipine method of "de-fanging the snake" --- that is, if you are at arms length, your opponent cant hit your body -- and instead of fatal thrusting strikes, concentrate instead on sweeping gestures across hands, fingers, forearms --- these cripple the ability of the hands to do their dirty work ---
--- as well, the thighs -- if you can reach them , ---well placed cuts here can have predictable results
But again, -- years of training .
HEck , we live in a somewhat free country still ---- the best use for my fighting knife would be to distract my opponent while I draw a .38 and start blasting ------ but again, really, the most effective fighting knives are larger specimens --- I posted a pic of a handful of mine and others have done the same ---- Grizz's knife is a short sword almost ---
In the time it takes to draw a knife with a 7 or 8" blade, I think most of us could draw a pocket 9, or maybe even a 1911 from a belt slide
I'm sure I have read about the tests they did with cops, and a knife fighter from 21 feet away....the knife guy won every time :(
Blaine,
Not a "WIN" for the knife guy, but guaranteed the cop got cut.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
HEck , we live in a somewhat free country still ---- the best use for my fighting knife would be to distract my opponent while I draw a .38 and start blasting ------ but again, really, the most effective fighting knives are larger specimens --- I posted a pic of a handful of mine and others have done the same ---- Grizz's knife is a short sword almost ---
In the time it takes to draw a knife with a 7 or 8" blade, I think most of us could draw a pocket 9, or maybe even a 1911 from a belt slide
I'm sure I have read about the tests they did with cops, and a knife fighter from 21 feet away....the knife guy won every time :(
Blaine,
Not a "WIN" for the knife guy, but guaranteed the cop got cut.
I'll have to take a bit to find the video... but Cop or Wannabe - if the Knife Guy is even marginally competent, a "gun guy" won't get a connectable shot off inside of 21 feet if he's Holstered...

FORTUNATELY 99.99% of "knife fighters" are NOT even marginally competent. (The "Kid + Sharpie" test is an enlightening example, but... when one knows what has to be done to someone with a Knife to STOP the "fight"... no Kid is a good enough "Uke" to not get hurt badly by someone defending against a "knife attack"...)

In all honesty, with my training, if someone comes at with me with a Knife, I want to be bare handed. Any other way and I will likely lose badly.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

You're referring to the Tueller Drill, devised by Dennis Tueller.

If the cop is holstered, hands off gun and surprised, he's gonna get stabbed since he can't react in time.

If his hands are on/near gun and he's surprised, he may get off a shot.

If the cop is trained and can react in time, he'll get off the line of attack and get off several shots which may or may not hit.

If the cop has his hand on the gun and the same, the knife guy's gonna take a few, though the cop is likely to get cut too.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

http://www.angelswordstore.com/index.ph ... e&Itemid=1
Angel Sword Bright Knight. S7 shock steel cycled to where it holds an amazing edge and retains most of the toughness of the S7. Mine will shave Kleenex tissue after hacking through a 2 inch tree branch. Length is 12 inches total.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Let's take the most incompetent and useless "weapons guys" on TV to represent 2 "average Americans"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... O3pGzw#t=2
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Streetstar wrote:...

I learned knife fighting from a Marine Corpsman....

I prefer short (4"ish) double edged blades that allow the "live bird" flick, cut & lunge technique...

Like I said... we've been through a lot...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Like the first rule of gun fighting is "Have a gun."
The first rule of knife fighting is "Don't."

"Killing knives" might have been a more appropriate , though less PC title for the thread.
Slow is just slow.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

cas wrote:Like the first rule of gun fighting is "Have a gun."
The first rule of knife fighting is "Don't."

"Killing knives" might have been a more appropriate , though less PC title for the thread.
This is why I initially brought up what I did. If you want to use a Knife to STOP a fight... make it horrible, painful, jagged and bloody. That's why a Drywall Saw works so well.

If you are into wet work... well... finesse & skill win...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I carry a cane quite a bit....have to use it sometimes :oops: If I'm lucky, it can be used to keep people a reasonably safe distance from me. I might even get in a decent throat, or solar plexus punch with the tip of it followed up by trying to break it over their head.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

MrMurphy wrote:You're referring to the Tueller Drill, devised by Dennis Tueller.
If the cop is holstered, hands off gun and surprised, he's gonna get stabbed since he can't react in time.
If his hands are on/near gun and he's surprised, he may get off a shot.
If the cop is trained and can react in time, he'll get off the line of attack and get off several shots which may or may not hit.
If the cop has his hand on the gun and the same, the knife guy's gonna take a few, though the cop is likely to get cut too.
It's a bit beyond ½ past midnite... My relief is standing beside our cars havin' a cup, exchanging the news of the night...

When a p/u drives by, no lights on... I ask my area relief, "...ain't you gonna go ask that guy a question?"

He sez, "...listen, it might be your last night, but it's still your shift, I ain't relieved you... YET! I ain't throwin' out my first cup!"

So, I jump in my ride and go after the guy. Pull up behind him, but can't get thru on the radio to notify anyone that I'm making a car stop... Oh well... what's new, right? So I light 'im up and he pulls over just like Johnny Law-abider! I get out, walk up on the p/u and using my kill-light, I can see a Rapala filet knife on the dash, in it's scabbard with the handle pointed back at the driver, an easy reach for him with either hand. I get his ID, then instruct him... "without touching it, please explain what you have that knife in your dashboard for."

As he sez, "it's just a fishin' knife," he grabs it off the dash and pulls it around... whether to just show it to me or what... but I jumped back about 4 feet and pull my revolver... and with my eyes on the knife, I tell him to either drop it, or I'm going to screw a bullet thru his ear! I'm absolutely certain that if he'd of wanted to... he coulda cut at least one wrist in the amount of time it took me to squeeze off a shot. I'd have been cut, but he'd have been dead. If he hadn't been trapped in his p/u I was far too close... as it was, I was too close for comfort. After the all the hoopla died down, my LT asked me why he wasn't writin' out a death report. He was prepared to act on the thought that I shoulda shot first, ask questions later. But, as I explained to him, the flake just didn't act in any threatening manner... Just stupid. And, as he did drop the knife (which luckily didn't impale his foot), I felt I was in control of the situation. While I was makin' my report to the LT, several other guys were tellin' him how lucky he was that he encountered a cop w/o a twitchy trigger finger. But, let me tell ya, there wasn't any slack left in it!

I've taken plenty of knives and guns off guys that were far more intent on doing me harm... but again, as luck would have it, in most cases they were folders, that even once in the hand still take some dexterity to open and be ready to slash or stab.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Several months ago I was asking the Group about Bowie style knives.
I was thinking I lacked a large "Fighting"/ utility/ camp knife.
I believe it was Mr. Murphy that suggested wearing a 9"+ knife around for a few days.
Well I did just that with a 14" Ontario Knife Co. machete.
I found the Bowie style knife I want, just saving my pennies to get it ordered.

Most of my knives are vintage military, so those are out for camp/ field work.
I wish I could find a modern version of the 1918 Trench Knife. Mine is a near perfect original, the reproductions are
cheap and flimsy. My Ka Bars also have a history to them. The Glock Field Knife is one of my favorites.
Leave it to the Austrians to incorporate a bottle opener into their knives!

Close up of my favorite. This knife belonged to a friend of my Dad. He was an landing craft skipper in the Pacific
during WWII.

My commercial fixed blades.
Last edited by 2ndovc on Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
fox
Levergunner

Post by fox »

Hood's Woods is a nice all round combat knife.

But Ed Martin's Big Bruin is what i would want in my hand , if I were ever dumb enough to find myself in a duel.
Last edited by fox on Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageDoug
"Bene qui latuit bene vixit"

"Think me not unkind and rude
That I walk alone in grove and glen;
I go to the god of the wood
To fetch his word to men."
Emerson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nice toothpick 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

regarding knife fighting in general (but not having much to do with knife collecting) ====

We all know how long we should let a deer "bleed out" when struck with an arrow right? ---- there are numerous instances of people involved in long winded "fight to the death" altercations where they may have suffered 20-30+ wounds with several being unsurvivable -- but that person still extracted a measure of flesh from their assailant

---- humans can be tough --- there have been knife fights that have been reported to last several minutes --------- not fun

To me , it further reinforces the need for proper gun training to neutralize such a threat
----- Doug
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My collection over the years, the Randall, M-14 bayonet, Cold Steel Kukri, and M-16 bayonet were issued. The Bowie on top I carried in IOBC and some other places. I also carried a Cold Steel Laredo Bowie, Cold Steel Kukri on three continents with some issue Benchmark autos. They told us in training a blade length of at least 7 inches for use on people. Like other here correctly said a knife fight is not a nice place to be and its not like in the movies when you use the knife they fall. Think more like a rodeo and the gate opens you are on a brama bull and you have to hold on until the hydraulic fluid runs dry from a cut made by your knife. Moral if you are going to a knife fight take a shotgun or subgun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Unless you are really good and can sever an artery or a big vein, it will take a while for the bleeding to reach the point that the person cannot continue to fight. Depending on the person, the desire to fight might or might not stop at the first cut. Don't expect a cut or stab wound to stop anyone.
D. Brian Casady
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

This is why daggers back in the days before guns had blades ranging from 10-14"....penetration to reach the vitals through heavy clothing and from any angle.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Paladin wrote:My collection over the years, the Randall, M-14 bayonet, Cold Steel Kukri, and M-16 bayonet were issued. The Bowie on top I carried in IOBC and some other places. I also carried a Cold Steel Laredo Bowie, Cold Steel Kukri on three continents with some issue Benchmark autos. They told us in training a blade length of at least 7 inches for use on people. Like other here correctly said a knife fight is not a nice place to be and its not like in the movies when you use the knife they fall. Think more like a rodeo and the gate opens you are on a brama bull and you have to hold on until the hydraulic fluid runs dry from a cut made by your knife. Moral if you are going to a knife fight take a shotgun or subgun.

Paladin --

I love the Fairbairn-Sykes dagger -- is yours actual WW2 vintage or is it a more modern reproduction? --- And what is the knife just underneath it in the pics with the skull cracker pommel? nice collection ----- Cool that you took a Laredo Bowie into harms way as well :)

edit: I almost missed the Chris Reeves Jeroboam --- I actually wanted one of those when I was in the Army --- much sleeker and with a more HSLD profile than the big Rambo inspired knives popular in the late 80's
----- Doug
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Over the years if accumulated a few "fighting" knives. Fortunately for me the only human blood they've tasted has been mine. Each has a story behind them. Sometimes it's merely that they were bought on impulse.

Others like my Sykes-Fairbairn were gifts from the original owner. And, a couple were issued then "lost" only to be found after I was discharged. Funny how that happens. :)

And, of all of them, the last to go would be the USAF pilot survival knife. It held me in good stead when I needed it, and other than a broken tip (I was young and stupid and didn't know knives weren't pry bars), has managed to survive all I have done to it. Yea, I know I have others in my accumulation that are likely stronger, hold a better edge, have better handles or blade geometry, but the emotional attachment means more to me than all of the other stuff.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

fox wrote:Hood's Woods is a nice all round combat knife.

But Ed Martin's Big Bruin is what i would want in my hand , if I were ever dumb enough to find myself in a duel.
Where did you find/who make the 'hawks? Both are nice looking tools.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Use every knife you have with you. "It is the user that makes the difference - not the tool!"
fox
Levergunner

Post by fox »

firefuzz wrote:Where did you find/who make the 'hawks? Both are nice looking tools.

Rob
Hi ya Rob,
The top one is a Hay's hawk and he is no longer making them. Hunter's Companion I think they were called

The Bottom one is from Wolf Creek Forge. A real work horse, but heavy to carry.
ImageDoug
"Bene qui latuit bene vixit"

"Think me not unkind and rude
That I walk alone in grove and glen;
I go to the god of the wood
To fetch his word to men."
Emerson
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Mescalero wrote:Cold Steel,
OSI
yes, esp cold steel
cable
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hombre wrote:Image
These ones I like very much!

/Stefan
Sweden
You have good taste in knives! :D
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Another knife that gets carried a lot, especially around town, is my Cold Steel Peacekeeper, with its 7" double-edged blade.. A US-made, "Carbon V" version, it is considerably lighter and flatter that any of the Bowies. Both edges are double-taper honed to 'shaving' sharpness..

I scraped the ugly black coating off the blade, and polished it to near-mirror brightness..

I also made custom leather scabbards for all my Cold Steel knives, including the 4 Master Hunters that trade off duty during hunting seasons..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Buck Elliott wrote:Another knife that gets carried a lot, especially around town, is my Cold Steel Peacekeeper, with its 7" double-edged blade.. A US-made, "Carbon V" version, it is considerably lighter and flatter that any of the Bowies. Both edges are double-taper honed to 'shaving' sharpness..

I scraped the ugly black coating off the blade, and polished it to near-mirror brightness..

I also made custom leather scabbards for all my Cold Steel knives, including the 4 Master Hunters that trade off duty during hunting seasons..
i have one of those ! it is impressive

good choice.
cable
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Slight drift here, but the members of this forum whom I have actually met face to face are all the type to keep their knives sharp. A sharp knife will cut with less force needed. I have been fortunate enough to have never been in a knife fight, but I would want a sharp knife with me if it happened. Good quality steel holds an edge and will cut, where cheap steel or poorly heat treated steel will lose its edge and might not cut through tough clothing. Ray Johnson, a knifemaker at Silver Dollar City near Branson, MO, has a 55 gallon drum that he will stab his knives into to show the toughness to potential buyers. I don't know about the edge holding, but stabbing it into a 55 gallon drum takes some force, and he sort of sets himself to do it. That doesn't seem to be something easily done in the fast motion of a knife fight. What do the rest of you know or think about it?
D. Brian Casady
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'm a lover not a fighter but if stranded in bahr country with just one knife it would be my stag horn Bear & Son Bowie.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice looking knife Ji. How well does it hold an edge? Bear and Son is not a company that I have heard of.
D. Brian Casady
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

SHARP is Imperative..!!

As a long-time hunting guide, wilderness packer/outfitter, and longer-time gun-/leather-smith, I have become obsessed with edge-holding ability in my spectrum of cutlery..

I have seen any number of cheap/inexpensive blades that simply will not Take - let alone Hold - an edge.. Putting a good edge on a knife is not "rocket surgery", but it is an art, and seems to elude certain individuals..

One day, a while back, a customer was in my leather shop, and started asking about several of the knives of various types lying about the place.. One of my best Pards, who is a DVM, piped up and interjected that there was not a knife in my place - including the ones in my pocket and on my belt - that he could not just pick up and do surgery with.. I took that as a great compliment..!!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

piller wrote:Nice looking knife Ji. How well does it hold an edge? Bear and Son is not a company that I have heard of.
I had my Bear & Son Damascus guthook skinner with me in Texas the last time we met, Bear & Son a great US company with excellent steel especially love their Damascus steel blades but can't afford them. I just lucked out on my Bowie with a low $35.00 winning eBay bid a few years back. Our trip to the Alamo really turned me on to Bowies, now I own 4 of them. :D
http://www.bearandsoncutlery.com/
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Paladin --

I love the Fairbairn-Sykes dagger -- is yours actual WW2 vintage or is it a more modern reproduction? --- And what is the knife just underneath it in the pics with the skull cracker pommel? nice collection ----- Cool that you took a Laredo Bowie into harms way as well :)

edit: I almost missed the Chris Reeves Jeroboam --- I actually wanted one of those when I was in the Army --- much sleeker and with a more HSLD profile than the big Rambo inspired knives popular in the late 80's
Sorry for the delay in answering. The Fairbairn-Sykes is a newer copy I got from A guy named Warbell near Atlanta in the late 70s. The other "Skul Cracker" is a Case V-42 designed by the 1ST Special Services and the Dagger that is on the Special Forces Unit Crest.
It is not the critic who counts
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Paladin wrote:
Paladin --

Sorry for the delay in answering. The Fairbairn-Sykes is a newer copy I got from A guy named Warbell near Atlanta in the late 70s. The other "Skul Cracker" is a Case V-42 designed by the 1ST Special Services and the Dagger that is on the Special Forces Unit Crest.
Nice ! :)
----- Doug
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Heres my idea of a fighting knife
I might not be correct, cause I ain't never been in a knife fight
But I think one should be big
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I occasionally carry (when I can't carry a firearm) this Vietnam-era USGI stabber hung upside-down under my arm, in it's spring-loaded sheath, suspended via a paracord harness I tied up.

It usually spends most of it's life, nowadays, under my car seat...........................

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As Chris Reeves was mentioned earlier, I must admit, I like his One Piece Line. I have a few, and my favorite is the Aviator.

Another favorite knifesmith, though sadly deceased was a fellow named Schulps. Here's one of my favorites from him.

He did some really interesting handle work using micarta.

One last comment. Neither of my kids took Randalls, Reeves or any of the other higher priced knives with them to Iraq and Afghanistan. See, Marines today have a ton of stuff to carry. And, a big knife is usually heavy. So, I looked about, and found an outfit that makes knives from titanium. The company is Mission Knives.

I've probably told this story before, but when they were headed to Iraq when this mess started, I wanted to give them better equipment than the Corps provided (some of their issue gear was a disgrace). In particular, the issue K-bars were trashed. I couldn't find any of the Mission Knives around, so I called the manufacturer. I actually talked to the owner and explained that I needed two of the MPk12-ti's and who they were for. This gentleman ask their names and unit information and promised they'd have them before they shipped out. He was true to his word.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Not a fighting knife per se but the Cold Steel SRK (Survival-Rescue Knife) is a favorite of mine.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here are a couple of my CCW Knives, which I often carry in conjunction with a handgun or sometimes alone.
I had the scabbards special made to my specs for inside the pants carry with the separate piece of leather going between the pants and belt, and the little block of leather on the end keeps the knife scabbard from coming out with the knife during the draw. I carry these on my off side which is the my right side, reverse cavalry draw. The only thing visible is the handle of the knife, which when worn with a vest or unbuttoned outer shirt is not seen at all, but very fast to draw and deploy, and more comfortable and concealable then my gun which is usually carried on the other side.

I carry the smaller knife in the open, sometimes, and no one has ever even seemed to notice, in my usual circles, or at least it doesn't seem to raise any eyebrows. The handle is small but secure in it's grip, and gives the illusion of a much smaller knife, until drawn. It's a Puma.

The other knife is a more or less large Bowie with a 9.5 inch blade, yet carries very easy, with my scabbard design, which I robbed more or less from the old south style of Bowie Scabbard with a frog to keep the knife in position in the belt or pants.

There is a lot of misconception about knife fighting. For one thing, the vision of two equal knife fighters going against each other on the street, is as rare as hen's teeth. Also, a lot of the time, if a knife is used in a fight, it's never even seen by the other person, until they feel the blade cutting their flesh. Oh, sometimes there may be someone that pulls one and banishes it in a threat to get a victim to comply, or in the hope that the other person will back off. Often times it works. But the idea that someone is going to pull a knife at 21 feet and charge as in the Tuller Drill is unlikely but the drill does a good job of showing reaction times, and what can happen, and teaches a cop not to underestimate a determined bad guy with a knife.

Also, when discussing fighting knives, most of the military issue knifes were poorly designed as fighting knives, and not even in the same class as a full fledged Bowie Knife with a sharpened clip, like the Hell's Bell, and others of similar design. Some of the military issue knifes don't even make good utility knifes. But that doesn't mean they can't be used to kill with.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I could NOT draw and stop an attacker from 21 feet. I probably couldn't do it from 50 feet. That's why I carry a cudgel with me. I can get in a defensive parry if I see it coming. The throat, the nose, the eyeballs, the wrist, the knee, the temple are all inviting with the added 51" reach. About 1-3/4" dia for the full length. Bound with rawhide. Fitted with para loop and fish twine grip. Crutch tip for traction.
_001c.jpg
Grizz
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Lastmohecken wrote:I carry the smaller knife in the open, sometimes, and no one has ever even seemed to notice, in my usual circles, or at least it doesn't seem to raise any eyebrows. The handle is small but secure in it's grip, and gives the illusion of a much smaller knife, until drawn. It's a Puma.
I have this same knife and like it a lot.

My other go-to knife is a 6" Cold Steel San Mai III Tanto. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=col ... dIndex=171

I really like the Cold Steel especially because of the pommel. Not sure if a feller would have a chance to use it but it he/she did, I imagine it could be incapacitating, depending on where you hit them. The grip on this knife is probably the best I've ever felt. Not just fits your hand but is very sure with the rubber.

But I have absolutely zero experience in knife fighting and would like to keep it that way. I've talked with a few that have and it sounds painful, you always end up cut. I've been cut over the years, a few times very deep and I can tell you, it hurts!
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

LastMohecken tell me about your Puma, I have the same model #6396 on the right side of the blade above the writing. On the left face side of the hilt are the numbers 44074. Do you have any information on dating these Pumas?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Now I can answer my own question!!!!!!!!!! I found a site by the Puma man. it has a couple of pages that starts from the 1960's with the model numbers and give the year of manufacture. My Puma Bowie was made in October 1970.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

JerryB wrote:Now I can answer my own question!!!!!!!!!! I found a site by the Puma man. it has a couple of pages that starts from the 1960's with the model numbers and give the year of manufacture. My Puma Bowie was made in October 1970.
Jerry, those older ones are worth more money. Mine is fairly new, but I like it a lot. I bought mine new off of ebay.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here's a couple of pictures of the bigger Bowie, while worn. It carries very well for a big knife.
NRA Life Member, Patron
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I like that inside the pants set up, did you make it??

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

JerryB wrote:I like that inside the pants set up, did you make it??
No, but I had it made to my specs by a local saddle and holster maker, after studying up on carry methods, that were popular back in the day, plus a little trial and error.
NRA Life Member, Patron
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

2ndovc wrote:Several months ago I was asking the Group about Bowie style knives.
I was thinking I lacked a large "Fighting"/ utility/ camp knife.
I believe it was Mr. Murphy that suggested wearing a 9"+ knife around for a few days.
Well I did just that with a 14" Ontario Knife Co. machete.
I found the Bowie style knife I want, just saving my pennies to get it ordered.

Most of my knives are vintage military, so those are out for camp/ field work.
I wish I could find a modern version of the 1918 Trench Knife. Mine is a near perfect original, the reproductions are
cheap and flimsy. My Ka Bars also have a history to them. The Glock Field Knife is one of my favorites.
Leave it to the Austrians to incorporate a bottle opener into their knives!

Close up of my favorite. This knife belonged to a friend of my Dad. He was an landing craft skipper in the Pacific
during WWII.

My commercial fixed blades.
what nice collection.

how come you like the glock knife so much? I been close 4 times to buying one but never do.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

2X22 wrote:My other go-to knife is a 6" Cold Steel San Mai III Tanto.
Heh, and my 7 1/2" Cold Steel San Mai came in yesterday!

What a well made, and heavily made brute!
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson