? How to slug?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

? How to slug?

Post by chadbr »

I'd like to slug one of my rifles and one of my six guns -- I've seen it mentioned 100 times here, but never seen a detailed description of how to do it.

Can someone point me to good step-by-step or otherwise enlighten me? (Is it on Nate's DVD? I have it but I've never had a chance to watch it!)

Regards, Chad
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ? How to slug?

Post by Andrew »

Here's the article I used and it was real easy. When you are done, you have everything you need to do another rifle.

Barrel slugging
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Andrew,
thank you
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's how I do it. I made a slide hammer tool that lets me tap a round ball into the bore from either end. Takes a minute and never any chance of harming the bore. I keep various size round balls, and never throw old ones away, just reuse them on smaller bores.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Nice! You should make a batch and sell 'em!

Chad
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Slugging the bore will only tell you the size of tightest spot in the barrel.. Knowing the size of the bore in front of the chamber is the most useful bit of info you can have, since that's where the bullet will first contact it... Slugging in throat and the adjacent rifling or doing a chamber cast will provide more useful information...That is:Throat size and groove diameter... This tells you how big of a bullet you can use given your throat dimensions..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY