Ghost ring sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Ghost ring sights

Post by WyrTwister »

Just bought a Marlin 1894 .45-70 with this set of sights

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpag...eitemid=920514

Would it be practical to thread the inside of the ghost ring to accept smaller apertures ?

God bless
Wyr
Hobie

Re: Ghost ring sights

Post by Hobie »

WyrTwister wrote:Just bought a Marlin 1894 .45-70 with this set of sights

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpag...eitemid=920514

Would it be practical to thread the inside of the ghost ring to accept smaller apertures ?

God bless
Wyr
It would be best to thread it to accept the Lyman/Williams Apertures. There is another standard (forget what it was). IIRC what you want is 10-32 thread.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Your link only took me to the Midway search page, but I presume you're getting an XS peep.

If so, you don't have to get it threaded - XS will exchange the unthreaded stem for a threaded one (they offer it as an option).

Then, you can have the option of using an aperture for target work, and removing it to use the resulting ghost ring for hunting.

Have your cake, and eat it too.

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd like to see that rifle... I didn't know that Marlin made a 1894 in 45-70 :wink:

The 95 Marlin will do great with the XS sight - as Hobbie said, you can tap for 10-32 and be able to use the Lyman apertures.

Keep in mind that you will need a .530" high front sight to allow for adjustment. It may have that already... you will find out when you go to shoot it.

ETA - I got to thinking about that thread size and went out and checked - the thread size of the Lyman aperture disks that I have are larger than 10-32... so you'd need to check that before getting the tap.

Or you can buy the apertures pre-threaded from brownells.

ETA again - the correct thread size is 7⁄32" x 40 tpi
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If you have an Ashley/XS Ghost ring rear sight, the maker will sell you a threaded aperture stem which will take the common Lyman and Williams discs. They fly in the ointment is the maker does not offer a variety of stem heights that are threaded. If the one they have is not the one you need, then you are back to your original question.

The answer is yes, you can drill and tap the Ghost Ring hole for the standard discs. I have done this a half of dozen time. I have the correct drill and tap. I have done this (free) for several members of this and other boards. The problem is I have moved and have not unpacked and set up my shop yet, and don't known when I will get my round tuit.

So I can't be of much help, other than say, yet it can be done. There is enough metal in the XS sight stem to do the job.