Winchester 73' price check

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 73' price check

Post by cutter »

I looked at a Winchester model 73' 32 wcf today, and am curious of the value. The wood was in good shape, the dust cover was missing, the sights appeared to be original, there was no finish left on the metal, the action functioned smoothly, and seemed to lock up tight. The Bore was very dirty, but seemed to be ok , without any pitting but shallow rifling. Serial number 347,XXX. It was priced at 1,300.00, I'm not interested in purchasing one at this time, but would like opinions anyway.

Thanks.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTT -

I don't have a recent Blue Book. Probably a good source, along with what comparable guns sell for on several of the gun-sales/auction websites.

Good luck! Just a hunch, but a functioning original 1873, even with little finish, is probably worth that...
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Well, it's not a steal. The 32 generally does not command as much as a 44 or 38WCF will. I would say this is a $900-1000 rifle - max.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm with Grizzley Adams--about a 1000 but..........if I may add, if you really like it and you don't have a lot of others to choose from, go get it. Its only a few hundred more and you will get that back in a year or two as well, they don't make 'em anymore!

I would like to comment on the 32-20. If you plan on shooting this gun, be somewhat particular on the bore condition. 32-20's are not as forgiving as 44-40's or 38-40's concerning bore condition. I have had my share of sewer pipe 32-20's that tumble their projectiles. Watch the crown also. 73's with their soft steel usually have worn crowns from cleaning. This will also tumble bullets.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'd go with Grizzly Adams on this one also. $1,300 is a bit steep for missing dust cover and no finish and 32 WCF.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I stand corrected. Glad the experts answered!!! :oops: