OT - Springfield replica of the GI 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT - Springfield replica of the GI 1911

Post by getitdone1 »

Anyone here have the S;ringfield replica of the GI 1911 pistol? Thinking about buying one.

Wondering about the price and quality.

Could I buy THE REAL THING in good condition for the same money?

In terms of historic significance this one's right up there with the Colt SAA.

Don McCullough
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm with you. Any self-respecting shooter needs to have at least one 1911 in his armory! I've thought about this one as well, and I'm interested in the replies.

Good luck. Sounds like it would make a nice Christmas present to yourself!!! :D
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I'm with you. Any self-respecting shooter needs to have at least one 1911 in his armory! I've thought about this one as well, and I'm interested in the replies.

Good luck. Sounds like it would make a nice Christmas present to yourself!!! :D
Ysabel Kid,

You are so perceptive! :D

Don
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've never heard much bad about the Springfield guns. My SIL has one and his works just fine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT - Springfield replica of the GI 1911

Post by Kilroy6644 »

getitdone1 wrote:Anyone here have the S;ringfield replica of the GI 1911 pistol? Thinking about buying one.

Wondering about the price and quality.

Could I buy THE REAL THING in good condition for the same money?

In terms of historic significance this one's right up there with the Colt SAA.

Don McCullough
I've got one. It's a great gun. It's not as nice looking as my Colt, but it's pretty good. I don't think you could get an authentic USGI 1911 for that price. USGI guns command a premium, and I'd think that any one that you'd get for that price would be pretty beat up. That's why I went with the Springfield. I paid $420 for mine, but that was a couple of years ago. I haven't looked at them since. I can't really comment on accuracy, because I'm not a good enough shot to be able to judge how the gun shoots. The slide-to-frame fit on mine is a little too tight for my tastes, but that's just a matter of personal preference. As far as reliability, mine is very good. I've had one round that failed to fully chamber. I tapped the back of the slide and kept shooting. Other than that hiccup, it's been perfect.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

A couple of years back, I bought a new Springfield GI, but was never really happy with it. The first couple of times I shot it, the surface finish (Parkerized) on the contact surfaces came off like grit and tied up the pistol. After a couple of hundred rounds, this went away and the pistol was very reliable.

However the pistol never gave satisfactory accuracy with 25 yards group running in the 4 to 5 inch range. After about 700 rounds, I figured it wasn't a break in issue, and replaced the 2 piece Springfield barrel with a good Colt stainless barrel. The groups were cut in half to the 2 to 2.5 inch range.

I ended up swaping it for a Norinco 1911A1, which is a better pistol any way you want to measure it. At least in my opinion. I have two Norinco 1911A1s and a 2002 vintage Colt Govt. Model and am very happy with all three. I have no plans to get rid of any of them, nor do I feel the need to add another 1911 of any make.

Lots of folks love their Springers. This is just my experience with one pistol.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

The advice I was given (which is why I still don't have a 1911) is to save my money and buy one that already has all the bells and whistles I want rather than buy an entry level model and upgrade parts.

Springfield has a good reputation so I'd say that if you want the GI replica go for it. If you're wanting something a little extra, buy a few models up.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I personally like the plain old GI style. Mine is a Colt 1991A1. I did replace the nylon mainspring housing with a steel flat MSH with lanyard loop.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Like Hobie I like my 1911s simple and as close to the original 1911 A1 as possible, but with good sights and a decent trigger pull.

On my Norincos I added King Harball sights and touched up the trigger.

On the Colt, I swaped the flat nylon mainspring housing for a arched steel one. I also installed a short steel trigger.

Of course, being a Texan all three wear mesquite grips.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The last 1911 type I bought was a Springfield 1911 Mil Spec. Looked just like a 1911a1, but it had slightly bigger sights, a lowered ejection port and a nicely beveled magazine well.

It worked great. Never missed a lick when I used the good magazines. Would feed any bullet I tried without any modification.

Was more accurate than I was.

It went to pay bills in the great debit raid of '98. I still haven't replaced it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yes, I did the short trigger, too.

Sincerely,

Hobie

gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Got a Springfield, good gun; savin my money for another Gold Cup :cry:
(we need a smiley that beats its head against the wall, I'd use it a lot)
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I agree w/ Hobie, the mil-spec gun looks very nice in my eyes. I would love to have a 1911 to shoot but the budget doesn't permit that right now. I have no need for accurate-beyond-reason pistols, so an entry level gun would do me nicely.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Got a MilSpec myself. It's been OK, course it got a little dry a couple times, but ol Malamute fixed er up with some crankcase oil off the dipstick in his truck an she was runnin fine. I've noticed that milspec runs better a little wet, otherwise I get some stovepipes. I like the 1911 ok, but I'm in the market for a Glock.
Last edited by sore shoulder on Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My grandson bought a Springfield GI about a year ago and it functions as well as the Ithica I had years ago. I have carried it fo CCW, and I am a sixgunner all the way.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Take a look at Rock Island Arsenal and compare the two.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

I have the Springfield GI. I too love the lines. If I could change anything it would be a high polish blue job. BUT it would not be a GI 1911a1 would it. It feeds just about anything even form a messed up mag i have that I found in the dump when I was a kid. I'm not a Knowageable 1911 guy but this one staying with me. Terry shot it I think he liked it?? :roll: :roll:
Terry Jump right in here. :oops: I have never put it on paper but Terry seen me keep like 6 out of 7 on a 8 inch steel plate at about 50 yards off hand. No I'm not that good of a shot. I JUST LIKE THE OLD SCHOOL LOOK AND I LIKE THIS GUN NUFF SAID. :twisted:
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Just now on Gunbroker checking Springfield 1911 GI model for price. Seems they go new for about 550.

What's the OD green version. Did our military also use one of this color?

I AM gonna get me one of these and soon. Blue not green.

Don McCullough
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I've got one, it works exactly like it's supposed to... Someday, I might go for a nicer set of grips.....
(SA-Milspec)

Paul
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had two of them and promptly sold them both. My pistolsmith, a usually reasonable and competent fellow kept telling me how great they were and I should buy one for my next project instead of the old Argentine Colts I was always buying and having trigger jobs, etc. ( nothing serious).
They functioned fine just didn't like them. Can't put my finger on why they just aren't a Colt and not as good of a shooter as my old System 1927s.

And
I'm a 1911 guy from way back!
Current heard. Colt, Colt, Colt, Ithaca, Argentine, Argentine.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
coachise
Levergunner

Post by coachise »

I've got a Springer (mil-spec). I actually like the low profile "combat" sights. Shoots very well, eats anything and I have no problems with aftermarket mags. Parkerized finish does nick up. Paid $379.00 new, several years ago.
Abilene
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Abilene »

I bought mine in Jan. '96, a plane jane mil spec. I have shot IPSC/IDPA matches almost monthly w/ it. It eats semi wadcutters at 20 degrees to a 110 degrees, don't seem to matter. It does have an 18.5 pound recoil spring. It used to bite me, so it got a commander hammer and an Ed Brown memory grip safety. Didn't like the plastic grips so it wears Herretts checkered walnut grips now. To make it feel right in my short little hand I relieved under the trigger guard, also filed the mainspring housing down to the flat config. Still to big so I scribed a line down the front edge of the grips then draw filed to a round profile, JUST RIGHT. Other than that a reduced power mainspring kit and an MGW rear sight round out the package. I know, I know it don't look like a mil spec any more, but it shoots where I point/sight it. It also now wears an ambi thumb safety, seems like the left thumb on it just locks it in for weak hand shooting. With short fingers an STI carbon fiber/titanium short trigger is perfect. Took a class at Vo-Tech and Built a huge mag well for it. I shoot Chip McCormick mags and Mecgar 11 round bodys w/ Chip McCormick 10 round guts for 12+1, had to stay up w/ the high cap boys. It functions like it is supposed to w/ my handloads, no runs,drips or errors, it is prob'ly the most reliable gun I own. Mine ain't for sale at any price, that's how much I like it. Sorry to be so long winded. Abilene
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bought this one almost 20 yrs ago. Over 5,000 rds through it. Sold the Colt's I had. It shoots great. I added Wilson's sights and a group gripper with a tungsten rod.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

This ones mine.

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i have one of the knock-off, cheapo rock island 4" barrell jobs. so far its fed the cheapo ranger 230gr. hp. ammo perfectly. the stay in black at 25yards using the 100yrd. small bore rifle target. and i'm not that good a pistole shoot. depends on what u want. i hear the norinco's do the same.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have a Springfield Loaded and I have been very happy with it. I can't speak to the Milspec model. I actually bought a Colt 1991a1 with the thought that I would like to build it a little at a time to suit my taste. I neglected to research the cost of such a plan, however! I say get what you can afford....you can always trade up if you want.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

I got my "WWII GI in 2005 or 06 .
It fires and ejects everything, including reloads that my Firestar would not digest 10 years ago. Even with the Springfield 10 round mag, it works fine.
I love the GI model.
I did put some "liquid white out" on the tiny sights. Helped a bunch!
I smoothed out the ejection port and ejecter: as per instructions of "1911Tuner" at forum.m1911.org and now the brass does not get damaged. I think Hobie goes there sometimes, too...?
otteray
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

l do like the Mil-Spec for its sights, but I just can't come around to the slanted slide serrations. :?