OT: LA, MS and FL coast levergunners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

OT: LA, MS and FL coast levergunners

Post by 3leggedturtle »

How is the coast from Holly Beach, LA over to Pensacola,FL. How are the roads after the Hurricane. Plan driving the coast over to Jacksomville then down to Alligator Alley and then back up west coast of Florida. Any places to camp and shoot along the way. thanks todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: LA, MS and FL coast levergunners

Post by dr walker »

I am on the west coast of Florida just north of Ft. Myers. We have a WMA right off the interstate with campsites and a shooting range. I believe it would only cost $3 per day for shooting and camping (hard to beat). PM me if you want more information.
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Roads are all fine. I don't camp, so can't help you there. I shoot at Honey Island range off of I-59 near the W Pearl River, but you have to have a LA fishing license or hunting license to shoot. For someone from out of state, the cost of the license is ridiculously high, so it isn't worth thinking about.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There's plenty of camping along your route. Just remember you don't have to stick with state parks. Some counties have excellent campgrounds as well. Over around Titusville there is the National Park that should be nice as well as Everglades National Park.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Rusty wrote:. Just remember you don't have to stick with state parks. Some counties have excellent campgrounds as well. Over around Titusville there is the National Park that should be nice as well as Everglades National Park.
Thanks Rusty didnt know that about LA, I very rarely stay at state parks. Looked up Ocala Forest, has be some decent uncrowded places there. Unfortunately when i get to FL, i will only have 3 whole days of actual time to spend. Have always wanted to do Alligator alley since i was young. That is a given, hopefulley will do that around noonish. Will then have plenty of time to find place before dark!!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Based on your proposed route, I assume you are going south from Jacksonville on I95 to the Miami area and then across the Alley and back up along I75. First note, the Ocala Nat'l Forest does have a range and some beautiful campgrounds, but it is not really convenient to I95. If you already knew where the range and campgrounds were, you are looking at around a total of three hours (round trip) driving time. If you do go there, use SR 40 as the range and one camp ground (Juniper Springs) are on that road and it is basically the only straight forward route back and forth to I95.

Next, try to avoid the I95/Alligator Alley area during the first part of the morning or around quitting time in the afternoon. The traffic can be (is) very bad. The Alley is a Toll road and basically, there are no stores etc. across its entire length. No campgrounds etc... The Tamiami Trail is more scenic, but you would hate us if we tried to give you directions on that route.

Once you leave the Naples area headed north on I75 (your only real choice), you are stuck with that route until you get near the Wildwood area (Florida Turnpike intersection). Starting there, you can cut over to the west at various locations and get on US 19 which does run up the very edge of Florida's west coast. You can go through Cyrstal River, Chiefland, Cross City, Perry etc.. The US 19 route will carry you through some very beautiful north Florida country and it is very rural.

Once you get to Perry, you have the choice of going on north and getting on I10, or turning west on SR98 and heading west through some more fantastic north Florida woods. Lots of it BTW. My directions are very basic and you should have a good map to plan your route and verify.

If you are planning on stopping and sight seeing etc., three days is going to be pushing it. The basic route you are thinking about is probably longer than you think it looks. As an example, if you were driving from Tallahassee straight to the Miami area by way of the Interstate's and Turnpike, you are looking at one full day (8 to 9 hours) of non stop driving - one way. The same can be said if you went from Tallahassee to Naples by way of I10 to I75 - one full day of non stop driving.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Turtle,

Alligator Alley when it was built was known as State Route 84. I knew a guy that was on the survey crew that shot the lines for that road all the way across the state. As Bruce said, it has now been incorporated into I-75. that's not to say that there aren't scenic area left in the state.

I'm partial to several area the town of Okeechobee is really nice and has one of the best gun shops I've seen anywhere. Not real big, but they have a big selection. A real homey type place. The area around the town is like old Florida cow country.

Chokoloskee is home of the Museum of the Everglades. It's not much but there's a lot of "inside" history there. It's also the home of Loren "Totch" Brown, who was a gator poacher/smuggler/commercial fisherman. He grew up in the Everglades during the depression by trapping and fishing for a living. There is a book he wrote about his life and three DVDs about him as well.

The are along U.S. 19 north of Brooksville is known as Florida's Nature Coast. If you're in Crystal River in the winter time there is an observation place you can go to to see manatees. They call them the gentile giants. They look like some kind of walrus or something, they're also known as a sea cow for good reason. If I were retiring that would most likely be the area of the state I'd be looking at. It's still pretty much untouched by developers to the extent that S. Fla. has been.

You'll also see more "nature" on the S.E. side if you'll stay off of I-95 and use the turnpike once you're south of Ft.Pierce. The turnpike will keep you out of most of the really bad traffic jams as well. Do keep an eye out for hogs on the shoulders of the roads. There are plenty of them, fences can't keep 'em off the roads.

As you come across the Alley there is a place about half way across "Chief Jim Billie's Swamp Buggy Rides." It is kind of a tourist trap but they really do show you some of the state's wildlife. there is also a Seminole Historical center near there that you might find interesting. A few '92's are used in some of the displays, or at least they were when I was there.

Sorry this is so disjointed. I should be in bed right now but a storm going through woke me up.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.