Question on minor clean up of rusty, scratched 94 receiver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Question on minor clean up of rusty, scratched 94 receiver

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I done it again. I purchased a Pre-64 Winchester model 94. This one is a 1941 model in 30 WCF. I probably agreed to give too much money for it, but I guess I am a pushover for a Pre-64 winchester, sometimes.

I like this one because it showed honest use, for it's age. The wood is solid, without any cracks, and wood to metal finish is good, much better then the Flat Band I purchased a few weeks ago. And the screws are in pretty good shape, for the most part, but the bluing is about gone, it's been carried and or handled a lot. The action is butter smooth, but the receiver is sorta scratched up some, nothing real deep, but scratched from hard use, greyed out, like like the rest of the rifle, for the most part.

Being greyed out doesn't bother me, but it is slightly rusty in an area or two, and I wish I could polish the recevier a little to just blend in the scratches some, and maybe remove the rust, however the rust really isn't a problem and probably just a good oiling and rubing will take care of the rust.

Any suggestions on polishing the receiver a little? I guess this gun might be a good candidate for a reblue, but them the wood would probably need to be redone also, and that's not really the look I am after anyway.

Would fine steel wool or really fine emery cloth be the ticket? I don't want to mess it up. But like I said I am not into doing a major restoration, either.

I can't do a picture, right now, my camera is on the blink, it seems like I never have much luck with these new fangled electronical gagets.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Question on minor clean up of rusty, scratched 94 receiver

Post by Sixgun »

What I would do with a gun like that is a "poor man's resto". First, pop the wood off to make it easier to work on. Then get some Hoppe's #9 and 4-0 steel wool and "go to town" on it. The steel wool will not hurt what blue is left on there as long as you don't rub extremely hard. After that, take the whole thing and scrub it real good with a strong detergent (I use Simple Green) and rinse well with hot water.

After she's all cleaned up, you can (but don't have to) apply a small amount of cold blue to even things up. Clean the wood and add some good moisturizing furniture polish or a good stock oil. Per her all together and give that baby a work out. :D -----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Thanks, Sixgun

For the tips, I may try that. :)
NRA Life Member, Patron
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Sixgun has it right, all I can add if you run into a bit of heavier rust in a few areas you can use the edge of a nickel and Hoppe's #9 or CLP. Just lightly rub with the edge and the rust will come right off and does not damage the bluing.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Dam salvo I knew if I hung around here long enough i would learn something and you just proved it. Thanks for the tip. :D
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

You can also use a copper penny - it has to be a pre 70's or 80's issue to be pure copper though. I'll have to look that one (date) up again.

I have found Kroil Oil to be very good for all rust removal and it does a good job of cleaning a barrel also.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Thank you, fellows, I believe I learned a thing or two, myself. I never heard of the penny or nickel trick. I will have to try that.
NRA Life Member, Patron