OT: How do you Yankees Stand it? Transplants + snow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT: How do you Yankees Stand it? Transplants + snow

Post by JReed »

How on earth do you all deal with this weather? This is just misserable! For the most part I have spent my whole life below the Mason Dixon Line and now I know why. :shock: I mean for crying out loud what the heck is all of this white stuff and why is it only 27 degrees outside what did I do to deserve this sort of punishment? Just Kidding :wink: :lol:

I will say while the cold is a shock for this family of Californians it does allow us to do some things you cant do on the beaches of San Diego. It started snowing yesterday and off and all day for about 4" on the ground. The boys were really happy because they could use the sleds they got from Santa.

Evan the youngest

Logan the oldest

But Mom and dad weren't to be left out of the fun
My lovely wife

And me

And you cant have snow with out snow angels.

Not the same as surfing or making sand castles but still a fun day. :D
Last edited by JReed on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT: How do you Yankees Stand it?

Post by Blaine »

:lol: I shall politely omit my opinions on why Jarheads can't take it....... It looks like you had fun, though. (As my age goes up, my dislike of cold weather goes up right along with it)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I grew up less than 2 hours south of where you are now Jeremy, and really loved it. You get all four seasons - and really get them too. If you don't like the weather you just need to wait a month because it will change. Winters were darn cold and snowy when I was growing up - just what kids like. Summers were plenty hot enough to swim. Spring was pretty, but fall was my favorite - it was perfect!

We get the occasional snow here and the kids love it. I wish we'd get one this year, but it is probably already too late. I was out in the yard pulling weeds already today!!! :shock:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

While it is nice to have weather other then sunny or partly sunny and the boys are having fun with the snow. It will be nice to get back to SoCal in a few years. We are missing having the ocean nearby. I know it sounds crazy but I just dont have the hunting opportunities here in Indiana that I do in SoCal. Back home I know every chunk of BLM in SoCal for the most part and being on Camp Pendleton is like having your own private hunting preserve.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Oh I remember those days....
Great pics
havent seen snow since 95

It was 26 degrees this morning at my hunt club in central Florida.....
5 hours later it was 75 degrees!

When we were kids, we used to make giant snow balls and build
a wall across the road....so the bus could not pass.....
The bus driver just plowed through them... :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JReed wrote:While it is nice to have weather other then sunny or partly sunny and the boys are having fun with the snow. It will be nice to get back to SoCal in a few years. We are missing having the ocean nearby. I know it sounds crazy but I just dont have the hunting opportunities here in Indiana that I do in SoCal. Back home I know every chunk of BLM in SoCal for the most part and being on Camp Pendleton is like having your own private hunting preserve.
Check into the deer hunts that happen on Jefferson Proving Grounds or Camp Atterbery. Indiana is also a premier squill country and some super channel cat fishin'.....I was stationed twice at the old (and gone) Fort B. Harrison. The fort itself was a haven for squill, coons, possems, and a lake with monster catfish and bluegill....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looks like a fun time with the family.

We've actually been really short on snow so far this winter. We haven't had enough snow to get a sled to slide yet. My daughter was in the room and saw your pictures, she said "oh man, they're so lucky!". She's been waiting for a long time to play in the snow again.
NRA Life Member
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

BlaineG wrote:
JReed wrote:While it is nice to have weather other then sunny or partly sunny and the boys are having fun with the snow. It will be nice to get back to SoCal in a few years. We are missing having the ocean nearby. I know it sounds crazy but I just dont have the hunting opportunities here in Indiana that I do in SoCal. Back home I know every chunk of BLM in SoCal for the most part and being on Camp Pendleton is like having your own private hunting preserve.
Check into the deer hunts that happen on Jefferson Proving Grounds or Camp Atterbery. Indiana is also a premier squill country and some super channel cat fishin'.....I was stationed twice at the old (and gone) Fort B. Harrison. The fort itself was a haven for squill, coons, possems, and a lake with monster catfish and bluegill....
Well Fort B Harrison is now part of Indianapolis so hunting there is a thing of the past. I will have to look into the others you mentioned. Not much on fish tree squirrels are fun to shoot but not as challenging as ground squirrels @ 100 yards. The main thing is on this duty I just dont have the time to hunt or research places to. There in lies the problem.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

TedH wrote:Looks like a fun time with the family.

We've actually been really short on snow so far this winter. We haven't had enough snow to get a sled to slide yet. My daughter was in the room and saw your pictures, she said "oh man, they're so lucky!". She's been waiting for a long time to play in the snow again.
I was at my folks by St Louis for Xmass they were complaining of the same thing. Before the hollidays we had 3" of ice on the ground so snow is rather nice.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

After the first trip to the oral/maxillofacial surgeon you will understand why we lifetime Yankees never ride a sled face first. :shock: :o :cry: :wink:

Noah
Last edited by Noah Zark on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote: It looks like you had fun, though. (As my age goes up, my dislike of cold weather goes up right along with it)
Amen. And we both lived through winter in the ROK. I did the better part of 7 winters there.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

How do you Yanks stand it?
We take hikes...

My daughters first fire

Build big snow piles...

..with the front loader.

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We carved many a cave in snow piles when I was a kid. Played outside much of the day just as we did during the summer. But I now understand the older people. The cold can HURT! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You know a friend of mine says that if the Pilgrims had landed in San Diego we still wouldn't know about New England.

Know what you mean, I have lived in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Iowa and skied in Conn, Vermont and New Hampshire.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

This is what our backyard looks like in the Winter.

The heck of it is -- we moved here FROM San Diego, CA!!!!!

Now you guys know just how demented I am. :)

That shoveled path off to the left goes out about 30' into the yard so the dogs will have a place to poop, etc.
ED
Yer never too old
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

There was plenty of that white stuff around where I was born but since I moved to Australia in 1966 I've developed a liking for warmth and sunshine. Its been between 95 - 105 deg around here for the past week and I aint complaining. If it drops below about 65 my teeth start to chatter. I guess if I ever decide to move to America I'll need to head for somewhere south, like Panama or Hawaii :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

you will get used to it, but I prefer to call myself a displaced southerner

I have lived in New London CT, Charleston SC, Newport news and Damneck VA, Orlando and Panama City Florida, Monterey and San diego Ca, Baltimore and Annapolis Md, and York Pa. (and Holy Loch Scotland) CT had lots of snow but I was at sea and didn't see any of it
Last edited by rjohns94 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hi Jeremy:

Great pix of you and Dee and the boys. So you traded in your surfboards for snowboards... Oh well, there could be worse crosses to bear.

Here in Maine, it was a brisk 4 degrees out this morning when I was hunting. The only good thing about that is, I had the woods to myself. That was the bad thing too -- no foxes or coyotes showed up, so I "had the woods to myself"...

But as the Kid said, you do get to enjoy all 4 Seasons. Here in Maine that would be...

Wintah...

Mud Season...

Mosquito Season...

...and September!

If you're looking for hunting opportunities AND the ocean close by, you don't need to "head west young man" -- come EAST over to Maine and we'll put you on the track of a BIG Maine buck. (But you better pack an extra pair of long johns...)

Just remember: "If you can't stand the wintah, you don't get to enjoy the summah!"

Great pix, thanks for sharing.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

ps...

You haven't lived until you've made a snow angel -- NAKED!!! :lol:

(Don't ask me how I know.............................) :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

As my age goes up, my dislike of cold weather goes up right along with it
Odd, I seem to notice it less and less as I get older. It's never really bothered me. The cold is only a problem when it gets below 0 F. I don't care for slush, though. I lived in Melbourne, Australia (a climate roughly similar to southern CA) for a while, and while pleasant, it was boring in comparison.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old No7 wrote:ps...

You haven't lived until you've made a snow angel -- NAKED!!! :lol:

(Don't ask me how I know.............................) :wink:

Old No7
:o :shock: :shock: :shock: I'll ahhh take your word for it. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JReed wrote:...only 27 degrees outside...
Right balmy weather, I'd say, 'ol son! When I got up yesterday morning and peeked at the thermometer in my mirror it read "6"... AND that was with two big diesels idlin' away within 3 feet! Apparently I missed Green Bay's two weeks of summer by a few months! That 2-hundred yard hike up to the restaraunt had to be repeated for the opposite direction... Almost made me wish I'd of skipped breakfast! Now that I'm in sourthern OK an' the same thermometer reads 29, I have the window rolled down!

All a matter of perspective!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tried getting out of hot tub at Mammoth and falling backward into a snow bank - OK a little wine was involved. 1000 pins and needles - don't need to do that again. :o
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Indiana is a wee bit too chilly for this CA native. I love it hear in Ukiah, Ca though. The weather changes every week! Been getting into the mid 20's at night only two weeks ago. I even got snowed on while driving home from a cold front from way up north. This week, things have been warming up to low 30's at night and highs in the seventies. Went out today and busted out the pellet rifle and handgun. Sure was a nice warm winter day! Felt nice to warm up just for bit. I'm sure more cold weather and rain is pending, but its the unpredictability of it all that is refreshing. Did I say I love it up here??? :lol:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We're not too far south (just south of Indy) and we only had a light dusting of snow - you get alot of "lake effect" stuff up there.

I'll bet many settlers died coming in from the New York coast, finding pretty little valleys in western New York to settle in, and getting their first hint of lake Erie when they had fifteen feet of snow.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

SHUCKS, Jeremy ! That's only a dusting....................Wait 'til ya get 2"/hour for a day or two, every-other-week.
Then you'll know what the small mammals feel like - running around through snow tunnels. ;)

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

27 degrees F?!

That's a nice day in the winter around here - (as long as that's ABOVE zero!) :lol:
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Reminds me of when I took my two southern California girls to Minnesota to join grandma and grandpa for Christmas. We drove across I-80 in the wake of a major blizzard. Crossing Wyoming, 80 was a parking lot for diesels with gelled fuel. Wind chills hovered around -100. Highs in Minnesota were -20 and lows were -40. We took the girls sledding and ice skating so they got to experience the real deal. Now my little girls were "freezing" in California when temps got into the 30's. After Minnesota, we visited my brother in New Mexico. It was 27 degrees there and my little California babies were running around in T-shirts and loving it.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Griff wrote:
JReed wrote:...only 27 degrees outside...
Right balmy weather, I'd say, 'ol son! When I got up yesterday morning and peeked at the thermometer in my mirror it read "6"... AND that was with two big diesels idlin' away within 3 feet! Apparently I missed Green Bay's two weeks of summer by a few months! That 2-hundred yard hike up to the restaraunt had to be repeated for the opposite direction... Almost made me wish I'd of skipped breakfast! Now that I'm in sourthern OK an' the same thermometer reads 29, I have the window rolled down!

All a matter of perspective!
Griff, you must've hit Green Bay during a warm spell!

Jeremy, you being in the Military and all, you can hunt all the BLM and DNR managed land you want in Wisconsin during the proper hunting and fishing seasons...you get free licenses.

By the way, yesterday we were blessed with another 11.4" inches of snow and by tomorrow we will be seeing -10/-20 F w/o any of that pansy wind chill stuff. 'Course with the wind only blowing 20 to 30 MPH, it wouldn't amount to much anyways. In the last month we have gotten only a tad over 50" of snow, s'ppose it'll be here until the thaw in June.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have gotten used to the cold much better then my wife has. They are saying it is supposed to be a high of 6 later in the week she is just so thrilled with that. :lol: :lol:

I must say I much prefer snow to rain growing up in a Semi Arid area I am not a big fan of getting wet and rained on. So if the trade off is wearing more cloths I am more then happy to break out the long johns.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

WCF3030 wrote:
We take hikes...

My daughters first fire

Build big snow piles...

..with the front loader.

Hey you want to swing by my place with that front loader? that should be just the ticket to clear my drive way. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now those kids will always remember this! :D

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

it's a character-builder. All the first world/industrial societies developed around that kind of weather. When you have a real winter coming you don't mess around.

Areas like the south didn't develop before air conditioning and refrigeration were invented. The only way to have ice in the summer was to tow a glacier down from the Arctic and cut it up. There were a lot of drawbacks living down there as opposed to up north. Insects, for one.

Rainfall is another. San Diego never got to be more than a cow town because it was too dry.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

JReed wrote:
WCF3030 wrote:

..with the front loader.

Hey you want to swing by my place with that front loader? that should be just the ticket to clear my drive way. :D
Sure you pay for the diesel and I'll be right over. :mrgreen:
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

The real question is how do you southern guys stand the heat? I'll take a frosty day over bugs, humidity, mosquitoes, sweating, bees, pollen, flies, lawn cutting, ants, sunburn, etc etc ANYDAY.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Jeremy,
Sounds like they should have sent you to MCMWTC (close to my neck o' the woods) before sending you to your new duty station! :D
Tom

(last year photo)
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

We got about 9" out of that that one.

My lab and Great Dane were having fun. My boxer mix wants nothing to do with the snow.

Gonna have to dig my Co. truck out. I keep bugging the Boss for a 4X4. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I moved away from Canada when I was four... to the Lake Placid area of New York. Eventually the family migrated to Charleston, South Carolina... then on to Oklahoma. Four years ago I married a gal from Sudbury, Ontario, Great WHITE North. My first day up there was with her asking me to shovel the driveway. Seems about a foot of wet snow fell overnight. At least it was only 32°F and not really too cold. That would come later. :o

It is our hope that by August of this year my wife will have sold her house, gotten her daughter sent off to college and I will drag her down to Oklahoma for good. I told her we could go to her parents place for Christmas... but that is the only time I will intentionally put myself where it snows. I hate the cold and snow. Canada got screwed when they split North America from east to west. :lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

coyote nose wrote:The real question is how do you southern guys stand the heat? I'll take a frosty day over bugs, humidity, mosquitoes, sweating, bees, pollen, flies, lawn cutting, ants, sunburn, etc etc ANYDAY.
Pacing, it's all in how you pace yourself; anything worth doin' well, is worth takin' your time, enjoyin' the task! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

When it's cold, you can always put on more clothes. When it's hot, you can only take off so much...
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

For Europe as a whole, about 200,000 people die from excess heat each year. However, about 1.5 million Europeans die annually from excess cold. That is more than seven times the total number of heat deaths. Just in the past decade, Europe has lost about 15 million people to the cold, more than 400 times the iconic heat deaths from 2003. That we so easily neglect these deaths and so easily embrace those caused by global warming tells us of a breakdown in our sense of proportion.
Source: http://discovermagazine.com/2007/sep/gl ... -lifesaver
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ed, that's nice. But I really prefer the view out my backdoor in winter. And the beach is real close too.

Sonw, is something you visit, then go home where you don't have to dig out you car.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

don Tomás wrote:Jeremy,
Sounds like they should have sent you to MCMWTC (close to my neck o' the woods) before sending you to your new duty station! :D
Tom

(last year photo)
They did but that was back in Feb of 2000. Where are you at I spent a lot of time growing up around there. Bishop was a regular destination for us lots of ghost towns around there to poke around.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Jeremy just wanted you to know that here in Onterio Ca it was 84 F today. BBBBBRRRRRRR some one get me a parka :o :o :lol: :wink:

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Duff L Bagg wrote:Jeremy just wanted you to know that here in Onterio Ca it was 84 F today. BBBBBRRRRRRR some one get me a parka :o :o :lol: :wink:
Yeah thats what my Mother inlaw said she lives in Chino.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Coming home from the range today - 70 degrees, report to follow - last song that played on the oldies station was "Indiana Want Me, Lord I can't go back there"

leverlooney
Levergunner

Post by leverlooney »

I don't even get the winter coat out for 27 degrees :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just about shirtsleeve weather in Tacoma today (45 and foggy) :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

14" of fresh new snow 2 nights ago...2" more added yesterday...I LOVE IT! Took out a second model 1873 in 44 WCF to try out and to walk through my woods..shooting at targets of oppurtunity (ie: snow clumps on the trunks of distant trees). Found some crow tracks, some deer tracks, and some turkey tracks... Watched (and heard!) a large pileated woodpecker rip bark off a tree, everything else was quiet, white, beautiful. I will take this weather any day. You can have your heat. The older I get, the cooler I like it.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

cold is do-able, you just have to be prepared. Coat, hat, gloves, boots, scarf, etc. Gets to be a pain. In California, you don't have to "suit up" just to step outside.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."