OT: How do you Yankees Stand it? Transplants + snow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: How do you Yankees Stand it?

Post by Gobblerforge »

It's just something we always had. And I guess it's good because with out it we wouldn't have this,
or this,
or this
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Gobbler
Love the pics :D
Just saw that we are in a blizzard watch :shock: . Yeah me!
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

What!!! You don’t have memories of deer hunting in at least 6 inches of snow when you can see them coming for at least 200 yards in the woods and even a city boy could track one.
It is not the critic who counts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Paladin wrote:What!!! You don’t have memories of deer hunting in at least 6 inches of snow when you can see them coming for at least 200 yards in the woods and even a city boy could track one.
Me neither. I'm pretty much in weather that's my idea of winter right now, 66ºF down here in Alamo, TX. A bit breezy, but fresh tortillas and barbaquoa... If only I weren't waiting on a load... I need a beer! But extra hot-sauce will have to do! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Why ain't there a picture of some poor bugger at the end of his drive with a shovel looking at a departing snow plow that just reblocked the drive for the 10th time? Once you are too old to make snow angles the only thing the snow is good for is cooling a deer carcase and since it is -5 here right now it isn't even that important for that. Wonderfull day yesterday, heavy snow 40+ mph winds zero visibility and 27 cars stranded on one 6 mile strech of road. All 3 LEO's in the ditch trying to get to one or the other of 17 accidents and NO ONE would stay home. Ah to be able to look out the window at the winter wonderland and not HAVE to go out in it!
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

BlaineG wrote:
JReed wrote:While it is nice to have weather other then sunny or partly sunny and the boys are having fun with the snow. It will be nice to get back to SoCal in a few years. We are missing having the ocean nearby. I know it sounds crazy but I just dont have the hunting opportunities here in Indiana that I do in SoCal. Back home I know every chunk of BLM in SoCal for the most part and being on Camp Pendleton is like having your own private hunting preserve.
Check into the deer hunts that happen on Jefferson Proving Grounds or Camp Atterbery. Indiana is also a premier squill country and some super channel cat fishin'.....I was stationed twice at the old (and gone) Fort B. Harrison. The fort itself was a haven for squill, coons, possems, and a lake with monster catfish and bluegill....
Jeremy, I'm just 12 miles or so from the lower west side of Jefferson Proving Ground. If you ever do make it down this way I would like to meet you. Then again, I need to head up North when I can find the time. I have wanted to meet O.I. as well but have yet to get it done.
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

BlaineG wrote:Just about shirtsleeve weather in Tacoma today (45 and foggy) :P
Hi Blain, I'd like to take a trip out west on the scoot and meet up with you as well. Maybe you could be my tour guide for a few days? You can stay up front of me just in case If I have parts fall off the bike while going down the road. :twisted: :wink: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

steveb wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Just about shirtsleeve weather in Tacoma today (45 and foggy) :P
Hi Blain, I'd like to take a trip out west on the scoot and meet up with you as well. Maybe you could be my tour guide for a few days? You can stay up front of me just in case If I have parts fall off the bike while going down the road. :twisted: :wink: :lol:
I'm getting the bug already....I think I'll change the oil and clean 'er up this weekend..... If Thor likes you, you're welcome anytime for 3 hots and a cot........

Thor: A real killer :lol:

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

steveb wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
JReed wrote:While it is nice to have weather other then sunny or partly sunny and the boys are having fun with the snow. It will be nice to get back to SoCal in a few years. We are missing having the ocean nearby. I know it sounds crazy but I just dont have the hunting opportunities here in Indiana that I do in SoCal. Back home I know every chunk of BLM in SoCal for the most part and being on Camp Pendleton is like having your own private hunting preserve.
Check into the deer hunts that happen on Jefferson Proving Grounds or Camp Atterbery. Indiana is also a premier squill country and some super channel cat fishin'.....I was stationed twice at the old (and gone) Fort B. Harrison. The fort itself was a haven for squill, coons, possems, and a lake with monster catfish and bluegill....
Jeremy, I'm just 12 miles or so from the lower west side of Jefferson Proving Ground. If you ever do make it down this way I would like to meet you. Then again, I need to head up North when I can find the time. I have wanted to meet O.I. as well but have yet to get it done.
Hey Steve you will have to come up for the spring lever shoot. We could both ride to the range. How many guns do you think you could get on your Hog my record is 7 long guns and 5 hand guns leaving me plenty of room for ammo. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JReed wrote:...my record is 7 long guns and 5 hand guns leaving me plenty of room for ammo. :D
Sounds like someone has a trailer! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Griff wrote:
JReed wrote:...my record is 7 long guns and 5 hand guns leaving me plenty of room for ammo. :D
Sounds like someone has a trailer! :P :lol:
Nope just roll the long guns up nice in a blanket and strap them to the back seat hand guns fit in the saddel bags ammo goes in the other bag. :wink: :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nah....Who needs a trailer??Image
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Blain great minds think alike. Thats how my scoot looks when I head out. Bungy cords a bikers best friend. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

We just take our cues from the critters :D

Look into the wind and puff your feathers out :

Running around keeps you warm:

Put on a smile and jump right in :

It's even more fun with a friend :

Think of the great work out you are going to get :

Phil
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

JReed did you get much of the white stuff today? Our low is supposed to be 1 degree tonight with a high of 3 tomorrow and 30 mph winds tonight and tomorrow morning. It's about time we finally had some winter weather! :twisted:
plinkin pete
Levergunner 1.0

Post by plinkin pete »

This is just the price we pay for a beautiful spring to hunt turkeys, a beautiful summer (storm free) to lay around fishing and shooting chucks. When fall arrives, well let the fun begin, tree rats, pheasents, white tail hunting right into bunny action. Yote season is open now and cant wait to get up into the woods to chase and whack the wild dogs.
I will give you, this winter the cold and wind with plenty of snow is really beautiful but only the hardy need to visit. I couldnt live without the four seasons, tried Fla, Nv, nice places to vacation, I guess it has alot to do with where you were raised.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Is all that white stuff sand or salt? Why are they wearing so my clothes?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Cool!!! Hi for tomorrow is predicted to get up to -5 F, 'course if you factor in that sissy wind chill thingy, then the high will be -25 F.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

nemhed wrote:JReed did you get much of the white stuff today? Our low is supposed to be 1 degree tonight with a high of 3 tomorrow and 30 mph winds tonight and tomorrow morning. It's about time we finally had some winter weather! :twisted:
Sure did about 6". It has been snowing all week not much but a bit each day. High for us is supposed to be 4 windchill -25 :shock:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

GANJIRO wrote:Is all that white stuff sand or salt? Why are they wearing so my clothes?
That be flaky frozen water my tropical friend. :wink: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:
GANJIRO wrote:Is all that white stuff sand or salt? Why are they wearing so my clothes?
That be flaky frozen water my tropical friend. :wink: :lol:
What he means, is . . . . . Surf's Up! :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well do to the weather I got off early today. Here is how I spent the afternoon.

Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JReed wrote:Well do to the weather I got off early today. Here is how I spent the afternoon.

I don't see any prospects in that hole... :lol: That was great fun when I was a kid. We'd work our buns off to pile all the snow in one big pile to have a big snow cave. Great fun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

My neighbor helped out with his Bobcat :D. Made quick work of the pile.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: How do you Yankees Stand it? Transplants + snow

Post by Hillbilly »

spent a few nights sleeping in a snow cave.... had to really talk mom into letting us do it. Read up about how to do it an a Army survival manual.

I take cold and snow very well... share a little trick with ya, this Yankee moved to OK.... it's easy to take cold and snow when guys like you post pictures of it! :lol:
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Hillbilly wrote:I take cold and snow very well... share a little trick with ya, this Yankee moved to OK.... it's easy to take cold and snow when guys like you post pictures of it! :lol:
I did the opposite... this Okie moved to Canuck country.

It was -25°F this morning when I woke this morning in Sudbury. I don't know what today's high got to be but I can tell you it was colder than Oklahoma City. Just a few more months of this and then I'm going to drag my wife down to Oklahoma where she can sweat to death and I can laugh at her for a change.
:lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Greetings,

I had the opposite experience.

I'm a Michigan boy and when I was in the Army I was stationed at Fort Riley KS. Now I can always manage to dress for the occasion when the weather gets a bit nippy as it is now, but I never was able to fully acclimate myself to triple digit temperatures. I'd rather layer up than sweat.

You must admit Jeremy, that building a snow cave is a blast and your youngsters will remember it for the rest of their lives. It sure looked to me like you were actually having fun. :D

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

spaceman spiff wrote:Greetings,

I had the opposite experience.

I'm a Michigan boy and when I was in the Army I was stationed at Fort Riley KS. Now I can always manage to dress for the occasion when the weather gets a bit nippy as it is now, but I never was able to fully acclimate myself to triple digit temperatures. I'd rather layer up than sweat.

You must admit Jeremy, that building a snow cave is a blast and your youngsters will remember it for the rest of their lives. It sure looked to me like you were actually having fun. :D

Regards,

Troy
+10000!

I went from the high mountains of Wyoming down to Ft Sill OK.

And while I would have been proud to do my Duty, I was ever so glad I spent Sandbox v.1 playing Army up North of Fairbanks...

I'll take -70 over +120 any day.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

We are transplanted Californians. Id doesn't get really cold here, zero to minus 10 minimum, and we have adjusted okay. What we can't adjust to is the darned ticks and chiggers. I am already scarred for life.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

What we can't adjust to is the darned ticks and chiggers.

PLEASE BAGTIC, WE'VE ENTERED A NEW ERA OF PC AND THE WORD IS NOW CHIGROES [ NOT CHIGGERS...]
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Buck Dane
Levergunner

Post by Buck Dane »

Well, up here in Minnesota it's reloading time. The temps went up to 20'F yesterday so out and about again.
Last week it was 25' below zero for a couple days( colder up north) with a wind chill of more than 50' below.
Spend alot of time reloading and just looking at guns.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well thanks to our neighbor and the use of her pond we transplanted Californians found another use for winter weather.

This is the second time the boys have been skating they went to a rink a few years ago when I was in Iraq. For me this was my first time on ice skates. We were out for about an hour this afternoon and I only fell once ( man ice is hard :o ) :D
All in all it was a good time had by all. Tomorrow I get to shove more snow off the ice so we have room to get some speed going. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Lobo
Member Emeritus

How do you Yankees Stand it? Transplants + snow

Post by Lobo »

Why Mr. Reed......

I live south of the Mason-Dixon line here in Wild Wonderful West Virginia, on the edge of the Potomac Highlands, and as I look out the window it's snowing right now! I teach high school, and we've been off four days of the last ten because of extra snow, or temperatures in the o degree to -5 degree range with wind chills to -20. The diesel fuel gels in the tanks of the school buses.

Now, should a fellow southerner care to come for a visit, I'm sure we can find a place for you to stay while you enjoy our balmy climate. :lol:
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I heard recently (not verified) that the Ecoweenie Wizards of Smart in a Minneapolis 'burb found out that Biodiesel don't work so good in deep cold...

Where they used to be able to pick up kids for school, they ended up having to cancel 'cause the busses were froze...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!