Marlin forends annoy me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Marlin forends annoy me

Post by AJMD429 »

This is my new XLR's forend - all chewed up where the surface cams up against the mount. If this area isn't 'snug' the forend rattles around, but to be tight, it seems like they rely on the wood bearing against a small metal surface, unless (surely not!) I'm missing something. At least the new solid mounts are better than the old bent sheet metal ones.

Is this something people glass-bed, or are they referring to the fit vs. the barrel or magazine tube?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
NavyDMO
Levergunner

Re: Marlin forends annoy me

Post by NavyDMO »

I don't know the answer but I share your sentiment. My guide gun is the same way. I also have a very difficult time putting the screws back in the cap since they dont line up very well from the wod pushing it forward. Hopefully someone will have some recommendations.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The forend cap bolts to the anchor. The stock is held by the cap and should not be held by the anchor directly.
The one you have in the picture is a mess. I would return it to marlin for factory Warranty repair. Also the splintering was not due to machining of the wood but done by someone who knew not what he was doing. Did you buy it new and was it that way when you bought it??? Send it back!! :o
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

They bug me, too. Even the old ones are fat, unwieldy to handle, and just plain "fugly". :P :mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You guys are insulting my guns and I am not sure I like it. Fat forend 45-70 is one of my favs.

I had a pre64 94 but I gave it away - to a guy I never met. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

As stated, the forearm bears on the cap, not on the lug. Folks frequently don't get the forearm seated fully at the back end, then have it pinch at the front end, fight with screws, etc.

The secret, if a forearm is snug going into the receiver, is to support the rifle almost vertically on the bench, just a hair leaning toward upside down, lift the gun and forearm a few inches, then "tunk" the unit onto the bench butt first, seating the forearm fully against the receiver in the process. NOW your cap and screws ought to fit properly.

Now, if like one of mine, the lug works loose in it's dovetail, drift it out, ding the bottom with a center punch in a few spots to "grow" it, and drift it back into the slot, all nice and snug.

If the cap fits loosely on the wood, allowing the wood to wobble, you COULD grease up the inside of the cap, mount, etc (be sure to grease the screw holes), then acraglass the end of the wood under the cap, to get a better cap to wood fit. (a couple of strips of masking tape on the inside of the cap would also work as a gasket to take up the slack, instead of acraglass
Certified gun nut
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

My 1894FG has a fat forend, and while well made and functionally fine, it just doesn't feel as good as the slimmer Winchester '94. I'm going to pare mine down with a belt sander until it looks and feels the same.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:The forend cap bolts to the anchor. The stock is held by the cap and should not be held by the anchor directly.
The one you have in the picture is a mess. I would return it to marlin for factory Warranty repair. Also the splintering was not due to machining of the wood but done by someone who knew not what he was doing. Did you buy it new and was it that way when you bought it??? Send it back!! :o
Yep - the gun was direct shipped from the factory to the distributor then my FFL then me, and the splintering was like that the first time I took it apart, before firiing or anything. Sloppy for sure; looks like it was oversized and rammed into place with a brick. I picked out the pieces and at least none of the outer surface is messed up.

AND now it shoots better... :mrgreen:

AND thanks for the info - I see the deal - the cap SHOULD grip the wood decently, and the cap SHOULD line up on the anchor. That would stop wobble, and work just fine.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Simple to fix boy's just get yourself a nice 86 or 94 WINCHESTER problem solved, or get both and you will live a long and happy life knowing you have the best two shootin' irons ever made. Honest.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

winchester1886 wrote:Simple to fix boy's just get yourself a nice 86 or 94 WINCHESTER problem solved, or get both and you will live a long and happy life knowing you have the best two shootin' irons ever made. Honest.
Ha! I'm with 'ya! :D (come on--nothing personal!--I like Marlins too, its just that I have a hard time finding them at the back of the safe :lol: )
:D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

winchester1886 wrote:Simple to fix boy's just get yourself a nice 86 or 94 WINCHESTER problem solved, or get both and you will live a long and happy life knowing you have the best two shootin' irons ever made. Honest.
Yeah, them Japs sure make good stuph! :P
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

hey
I like the fat foreends too! Enough of this bad talk. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That "new" solid forearm cap tenon is just like the old ones before they went to the stamped steel item. Just like the "old" fat forearms, which aren't all that old! The REAL old ones weren't fat! :D
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

Yeah, them Japs sure make good stuph! :P[/quote]

i didnt get it? winchesters are not made in japan. i also like the slimmer forend.
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

bbleverfan wrote:Yeah, them Japs sure make good stuph! :P

i didnt get it? winchesters are not made in japan. i also like the slimmer forend.
Yes, some Winchester guns are made in Japan.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... asp?ID=116
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

kirkwood wrote:
bbleverfan wrote:Yeah, them Japs sure make good stuph! :P

Yes, some Winchester guns are made in Japan.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... asp?ID=116
wow. i didnt no that i wonder what ones?
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Got a few good LAUGHS out of the comments above!!

Like Old Savage says, "you're insulting my guns!!" Mine too, geez you guys are awful hard on some of my Marlins!! LOL!

I really don't like the looks of the fat forearms, but I've got a 1948 vintage (first year) Marlin 336 and ugly or not it outshoots the 2 previous pre 64 Model 94 Winchesters I had HANDS DOWN! Maybe just too small of a sample?? The Winchesters feel really good in the hand (talking 94 carbines now) but when it comes to shooting the Marlin 336 with that FAT OLD forearm really holds steady and the action is so smooth. Now the rifle version of the 1894 Winnie is a different story.

Then I have a FAT FOREARM 1954 vintage Marlin 38A and it is the same, geez that rifle shoots!!!!

The shoddy manufacture of the good doc's new Marlin should definitely be fixed. I think even Col Brophy who wrote the Marlin book didn't like the FAT FOREARMS!! I don't mind them nearly as much now that I own a couple and have shot a few thousand rounds thru them.

My humble opinions!

Geoff
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

"Products made at these factories include the Super X line of shotguns including the new Super X3 autoloader and the new Super X Rifle (SXR) centerfire autoloader. Both are made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. In addition, we will continue with our line of quality Select over and unders: the only production Belgium-made over and unders in the world. Our special historic guns -- 1885s, 95s, as well as other limited series rifles -- continue to be made at our factory in Japan. "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm no fan of the looks of the fat forearms either, but they do have a very nice feel in the hands!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i'd like to see a non-ported guide gun with a full length magazine. slimmed down straight stock and forearm. in both stainless and blue in wood or wood colored synthetic stock. some of you guys have posted pictures of custom guide guns fitting this description. think marlin could sell a few of these.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

tman wrote:i'd like to see a non-ported guide gun with a full length magazine. slimmed down straight stock and forearm. in both stainless and blue in wood or wood colored synthetic stock. some of you guys have posted pictures of custom guide guns fitting this description. think marlin could sell a few of these.
Yep - interesting how many people go to great lengths to create that type of gun - all somewhat similar, yet none are produced. It would seem makeable with assembly methods and parts they already have anyway!

I'd want one in .444 Marlin, too!

HOW ABOUT - if they developed a web site (or one in conjunction with a wholesaler or FFL or whoever) so a person could go there and "assemble" their own 'custom' gun like you can with Dell computers...? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I hear ya on the "custom" Marlins.

I just sent one of my CB-Ls, previously modified for Cowboy .45 Special, out to be chopped to 16.25". I got a feeling it's gonna be suhweeet!
Certified gun nut
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Except for Dad's old Model 1936, all of the Marlins I've owned but one had a fat, clumsy-feeling forend. Fortunately Marlin leaves you plenty of wood so that, while annoying, it's usually very possible to snag all of that wood down and re-sand it to feel more graceful. All of my Marlins--45-70, 35 Rem SC, 30-30, etc have been slenderized for a better feel, and shoot very well. One exception is a 20 inch RC that I bought used that had a straight grip, rounded lever, and slender forend, a 35 Remington made in the 1950's. This 20 inch carbine looks original. There are a couple of others I've seen locally like it, with their original owners. These feel handy--like a better-built 94 Winchester. I wonder why Marlin never continued making these.