Price Check, "71 Browning .348

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Price Check, "71 Browning .348

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Gentlemen,
I have the opportunity to buy in an estate sale. I have put a hold on it until I can see it A very good friend put me on to this and says it is like new. Don't know particulars yet. The estate asked $550. I said I would take it. I can still turn down . Your thoughts?
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Price Check, "71 Browning .348

Post by flatnose »

Go get it......be quick about it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pay what they are asking and be quick about it :mrgreen: What a good buy!!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Holy socks Batman!!!

550.00 for ANY 71 is a Steal!!!

Git on it!!!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[The estate asked $550.
I said I would take it.
Your thoughts?]

OMG ! :o :P :P :P :P

At that price, no good would be worth it !

Way to go, Paul ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's a VERY good friend, indeed ! 8)

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If you pass, I would like to be first in line. Thanks, 1886.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Gentlemen,
It was offered in print and I accepted. The friend put me on it. An aquaintence is selling. Not sure if the offer will be honored.
Thanks for your input. I don't really want it for myself, but thought it might be a good investment. I have a Browning '86, .45-70 that I consider better all around
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Paul Jenkins wrote:Gentlemen,
It was offered in print and I accepted. The friend put me on it. An aquaintence is selling. Not sure if the offer will be honored.
Thanks for your input. I don't really want it for myself, but thought it might be a good investment. I have a Browning '86, .45-70 that I consider better all around
You will love that 71. It is a great find and one you will cherish. Have fun, 1886.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Gentlemen,
I may have bought a .348 Win., but I wonder why it is so popular? I know that it is a little flatter shooting than a .45-70, but not even close in power. I believe it to be a very slight upgrade to the '86, but no stronger. Why was it ever chambered?
What can a .348 do better than a .45-70? Not having shot one YET, I am asking your experience.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

If I manage to get this rifle, I Will buy dies and shoot before I consider any other option. Am I right in considering the '71 as a slightly refined '86? How is it refined mechanically?
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

It essentially is an 86 with some strengthening, some cosmetic and only chambered in the .348.

That is my next winchester. I NEED A 71!

Great find.

8)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The early 71s are nore not really any stronger than the last '86s. They are the same steel, with the only differences being a coil mainspring and slightly angled locking lugs. The .348 WCF uses the same cartridge base diameter as the old .50 EX Winchester, so the bolt face is sized accordingly. It is a fact that many 1886s were sent back to Winchesater and re-barreled to the new cartridge. To my knowledge, none failed as a result of this conversion.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Gentlemen?
I bought this rifle at a very good priice and feel no obligation to pass on my good fortune. I offered it here because I thought it would be most appreciated here .I am sorry I offended some because I asked for offers . I consider that a great option for me and you. A bidding war is only open to you. You can PM me with your price. You know what it is worth. I do too. All I want is an offer. It is not my intension to give money away Only asked for a fair price
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

You offered it here? Did I miss something? I don't see a listing in the classifieds and I see nothing in this thread to indicate you are considering selling the rifle. Didn't you talk about getting dies and shooting it a few posts ago?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Nutjob,
I did offer it here and got a lot of flack because I didn't ask a price. I thought a buyer might know how much they wanted to pay.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Rimfire,
He posted it on classified as accepting bids. Didn't name a price. I had a little fun with him after I and others asked him to name his price. This isn't an auction site, after all.
The bidding got kinda fierce - I offer $604.22, a Snickers bar, and a broken clock. Plus shipping.
Levers kept up with me and actually forced me out of the bidding.
Paul got a bee in his bonnet and made some snippy remarks. I guess he got the ad pulled.

Fantastic carbine.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Ah, my bad. I missed the whole thing. Darn ... I never check the classifieds often enough. I was curious to see where it landed but it sounds like an aborted takeoff. I'm sure he'll get good money for it on one of the auction sites though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It's probably not too late to shoot him a PM with a fair offer.
NRA Life Member
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I'm full up on 71's currently. I know ... sacrilege.

I'd have to kick my "great panic of '94 EBRs" out of the safe to fit anything else.