Black Powder - The real deal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Black Powder - The real deal

Post by Modoc ED »

OK, with all this talk -- errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr typing about black powder, where do you get the real deal (genuine black powder) NOT a substitute.

Does anybody use genuine black powder anymore?
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Re: OT: Black Powder - The real deal

Post by Hobie »

There are several places to buy it on-line and have it shipped to you.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Can you elaborate a little -- maybe a brand name or two?
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Can you ship black owder to California? I thought the only addictive substance you could ship there was (China or Columbian) White Powder... :wink:

http://www.powderinc.com
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com
http://www.mainepowderhouse.com
http://www.grafs.com
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I sit here with my hand raised. I use it exclusively, unless someone gives me a sub. And if that's Pyrodex, I then give that away to someone that'll use it. Several suppliers have real BP. Start with http://www.powderinc.com
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I get quite a bit of my black from Grafs. The rest I get from Bear River Powder in Evanston wy.
The thing I like about Grafs , they'll send you just 1 lb of powder if you want to stand the hazmat on it. So that makes it pretty handy to test a series of brand name powders without having to buy large amounts, and then try to figure out how to get rid of the stuff that don't work. (Still have 2 of 5 lbs of Elephant :x )
Grafs usually comes out cheaper in the end than the others. except for Bear River.
Hobie

Re: Black Powder - The real deal

Post by Hobie »

If you're looking for somebody closer to you, take a look at the GOEX distributor list.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The last batch of BP I got came in a brown truck to the door.

I to have some Elephant brand setting around waiting to be uesd for something, I dont know what? I quit shooting it. It was very dirty and gave 10%+ less velocity. Maybe on the 4th of July I will get my mortar out. :D
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Chuck I was thinking the next time I need to move a big rock to open a sping up, might be a good time to use up the last of the Elephant. :lol:
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I buy mine locally, and the only blackpowder substitute I use is smokeless powder.

IMNSHO, smokeless powder is just a passing fad.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Don McDowell wrote:I get quite a bit of my black from Grafs. The rest I get from Bear River Powder in Evanston wy.
The thing I like about Grafs , they'll send you just 1 lb of powder if you want to stand the hazmat on it. So that makes it pretty handy to test a series of brand name powders without having to buy large amounts, and then try to figure out how to get rid of the stuff that don't work. (Still have 2 of 5 lbs of Elephant :x )
Grafs usually comes out cheaper in the end than the others. except for Bear River.
Too bad we don't live closer together. We might work a trade for that Elephant powder. I likes it.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Doc Hudson wrote:I buy mine locally, and the only blackpowder substitute I use is smokeless powder.

IMNSHO, smokeless powder is just a passing fad.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Doc we might be passing thru your part of the world this fall. I'll keep it in mind.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I believe Goex is a good bet. It seems to be the most common black powder out there and it has worked great for me in Muzzle Loaders. It is American Made . I believe they were just bought out by Hodgdon, btw.

What calibers/type of gun we talking?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I don't use if very much, except when I get a hankerin' for the good old days. Then I load up a bunch of rounds and go make some smoke. I have no problem getting it from the local shooting supplies store here in Canada, at least the Goex FFg and FFFg, which is what I use. Some of the staff at the store are serious BP shooters, so that may explain why they always seem to have a good stockpile of the stuff.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

I haven't loaded a smokeless rifle cartridge in about three years. The VAST majority of my shooting is either with my muzzleloaders (Goex fffg) or BPCR (50-70, 45-70, 45-60, .45 Colt, 56-50 Spencer, and 38-55, all using Goex Cartridge). If I recall correctly, I got my last batch from Powder, Inc. I can honestly say, with a clear conscience, that BP "substitute" has never sullied my loading bench. And, barring the banning of BP, :shock: it shan't.
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

Cabelas usually has it in stock.

Hairy
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hairy Clipper wrote:Cabelas usually has it in stock.

Hairy
:?: You must have a better Cabela's than anybody else , because they don't sell bp in the mainstore in Sidney, nor from the website, or the shooting catalog. :?:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nor the one at Post Falls, ID.
Old Law Dawg
Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

It is not on the shelf. You must ask for it and then they go to the powder locker and get it for you.

Hairy
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley