OT: Movie warning Marley and Me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Movie warning Marley and Me

Post by JReed »

Well we went and saw Marley and Me this evening. The kids and the wife talked me into it plus from the adds it didn't look to bad and I am a life long lover of Labs so why not.
The first 3/4 of the movie is great for any one that has owned Labs it is funny as all get out as you see your self in the shoes of the characters and the things they go through with their Lab.
The last 1/4 of the movie sucks from an emotional aspect. There is nothing more sad in my opinion the watching a dog get old and pass on :( . I don't think there was dry eye in the whole theater. Now that we are home I think my boys have a new appreciation of our 7 month old Lab and how special a dog really is.

Got to go now something just got in my eye.
Watch the movie but bring a handkerchief you will need it
Last edited by JReed on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Movie warning Marley and Me

Post by mescalero1 »

Thanks for the warning, seen too much of that lately :cry:
creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

Thanks for the warning!

I was one of many of my age who still morn the loss of Old Yeller.
Of course I spent many years with my own loyal canines ,and the loss and the joy may equal out when the sum of things are figured.
I have been without a dog since 92` . and figure to remain so.
Of course I have a wood choppin shoulder cat that worships the ground I walk on and that brings a lot of joy, but they are around for such a short time.....
Best Regards,
creosote
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

We went to see this right after Christmas. We thought it would be some light hearted holiday entertainment Instead me, the wife, and four kids end up leaving the theater bawling our heads off. We've got a yellow lab that doesn't have many days left, this movie hit way too close to home! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I thought we might go see that as my wife and I are both dog people. She is very emotional though, she would hate sitting through that. I think we better pass on that one. Thanks for the warning.
NRA Life Member
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

We saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and my wife and son were in serious salt water flow towards the end. Our Lab mix is just under a year. I had something in my eye also.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Girlfriends Himalayan is 18 years old, and you can tell , it hurts the old boy to move too far.
I guess I am going to have to do the dirty deed......................
This unpleasentness is never easy.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I haven't gotten over Ole Yeller yet........

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Dont get me wrong we all thought it was a great movie and are not sorry we saw it. But after having many dogs my self the ending is ruff. Just wanted you all to be fore warned this flick will bring on the water works. If you take your kids be prepared to have a take about how our four leged friends aren't with use for long and how they need to enjoy the time they share with us.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have never had finer friends than the four legged ones, and thier time is too short.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks for the review Jeremy.

My wife wants to go see it -- so we will -- but I'm sure we'll be leaving "our little girl" at home............

(And bringing the Kleenex instead...)

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

JReed wrote: "...and how they need to enjoy the time they share with us."
Or you could say...

And how we need to enjoy the time we share with them.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Fine looking girl , #7
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I don't believe it!

A bunch of big tough levergunners caterwauling over a dog in a movie. I just can't believe it!

Y'all will have to pardon my while I go give Mattie a hug. She's getting into middle-age for a Pyr.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

First words that popped into my head as well... "Old Yeller"...
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I read the book last year while I was in Malaysia. It tears you up some too. My hunting partner Ranger is almost 12 now and my brother just had to put his 13 year old GSP down last month so it is pretty close to home. That being said, Ranger had his best year out of the last three seasons this year, inexplicably some front shoulder ailment he has had disappeared, so I am hopeful for some time in the field with him next year.
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

The price of being a dog lover is havin' your heart broke once in a while. Well worth it though. :)

Steve
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

sureshot wrote:The price of being a dog lover is havin' your heart broke once in a while. Well worth it though. :)

Steve
Amen Steve!

I don't understand how folks who loose a much beloved dog say they will never have another one. Sure, a new pup can never replace the lost friend, but refusing to get another dog is like saying you will never make another friend when you loose one. Lord knows my heart was broken when I've lost dogs, but I never want to go for a long while without a dog in the house. Seems to me that it takes a good dog to make a house into a home.

Getting a new dog in no way reduces the affection we have for the old one. Every now and then, I call Mattie by the name of dogs that have been dead for years, especially when she does something silly that the old dog did

BTW, I hope y'all know that I was just joking in my other post in this thread. I think all of you know how I feel about dogs in general, and good friends especially.

It might have been posted here, but I read a good dog story/joke.

Seems that a couple had a very young child and a very old dog. The vet told them that the only merciful thing they could do would be to put the old dog to sleep. The parents decided that the entire family would be on hand for the end, including their child.

The little boy watched intently as his old friend was placed on the exam table, and he cradled the old dog's head as he breathed his last, Mom and Dad were trying hard not to loose their composure for the child's sake. One of them said something about it being a mystery why such good dogs lived such a short time.

After a moment, the little boy piped up and said, "I know why."

Wondering what would come out, the Vet asked for the explanation.

The little boy said, "We are all put on Earth to learn to be good, do good things, and make people happy, right?" All nodded. The little boy continued saying,"Dogs don't have to live as long as people because they learn to do it quicker."

I think I'll wait for Marley & Me to hit the video shops. That way I won't make a spectacle of myself in a theater.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Doc Hudson wrote:
sureshot wrote:The price of being a dog lover is havin' your heart broke once in a while. Well worth it though. :)

Steve
Amen Steve!

I don't understand how folks who loose a much beloved dog say they will never have another one. Sure, a new pup can never replace the lost friend, but refusing to get another dog is like saying you will never make another friend when you loose one. Lord knows my heart was broken when I've lost dogs, but I never want to go for a long while without a dog in the house.

Seems to me that it takes a good dog to make a house into a home.

I'm retired and these gals are my constant companions. We are out everyday -- think we have only missed about 5 days in the last 2 years due to 50 below wind chill temps. The yellow lab is the hunter, the White mix (lab/white shepard) is afraid of gunfire but is the worlds biggest lap dog and loves the outdoors.
Eventhough she hates gunfire, I take her hunting (one shot is OK), and we still hunt the timber for targets of opportunity (deer, elk, bear, grouse) during the fall.

And her sidekick
Paul
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Paul 105,
Thanks, I WILL get Snazzy an orange vest, good idea.
One of the ranchers back home painted COW on all of his stock, he still lost some during hunting season.
Guys like that should NOT have a gun.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

My family also saw the movie over the holidays...wasn't a dry eye among us. And we read the book and knew what was coming. Having said that, if you're a dog lover, you need to see the movie. Not as good as the book, but still enjoyable (and easier to watch the end than Old Yeller). It's not an Oscar candidate, but still a good tell about a dog and the growth of a family around him.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail