ANOTHER CONTROVERSY! WINCHESTER 92 or MARLIN 94?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

ANOTHER CONTROVERSY! WINCHESTER 92 or MARLIN 94?

Post by Bogie35 »

Same deal as the other thread. Which action offers the best combination of smoothness and reliability? You may include '92 reproductions also!

This is fun to me. I hope nobody gets too annoyed! :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: ANOTHER CONTROVERSY! WINCHESTER 92 or MARLIN 94?

Post by Old Ironsights »

No question.

Stronger, stronger, stronger, No Dreaded Marlin Jam. And I prefer Top eject... easier to catch the empties.

Of course, I've never fired a 92 that hasn't been worked over, but the Marlin .44 I fixed gust feels... chunky? The cam just doesn't feel smooth to me.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Bogie35 wrote: . . . WINCHESTER 92 or MARLIN 94?
Yes.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What Noah said. I have both and like them both for different reasons.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Both +3 - Although I prefer smaller calibers, like .25-20 & .32-20 in the 92, rather than the larger ones in it.

I do like my .44 Marlin 1894P for hunting a lot more than the .44 B-92 Browning - mostly due to the ease with which sighting options can be changed at will, w/o any hassles.

BTW - I've owned/used/hunted the Marlin for six years and have yet to experience the "Marlin jam", which I did with a Winchester 94 !

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

FOR THE ABSOLUTE LIFE OF ME I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY PACO OR HOBIE ALLOW THE WASTE OF BANDSPACE FOR SUCH CHILDISH SILLYNESS AS QUESTIONS LIKE THESE !!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I"M WITH YOU ON THIS ONE, TERRY. The same goes for similar Winchester vs Marlin threads. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Doesn't bother me any!

What might be boring to the experienced is educational to others. Like Griffs nice little writeup on the 1894 Winchester, over in the 336 vs 94 thread, I learned a bunch from that.

I'm somewhere in the middle as far as knowledge and experience on levers guns. Sometimes I see a pretty basic question then realize that I asked the same question 8 years ago or so when I get interested in leveractions.

Cheer up men! Spring times coming!!

Geoff
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You said we could include copies so my vote in this one is MARLIN 1894. I learned to despise the 92 action.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vintageautomobilia
Levergunner

Post by vintageautomobilia »

I have them both. Winchester 92 carbine with a rifle crescent butt and Marlin 94 rifle with 1/3 octagon - 2/3 round barrel. Both are in .25-20 Win, and I agree, I like the smaller calibers in these guns.

Peter
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Terry Murbach wrote:FOR THE ABSOLUTE LIFE OF ME I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY PACO OR HOBIE ALLOW THE WASTE OF BANDSPACE FOR SUCH CHILDISH SILLYNESS AS QUESTIONS LIKE THESE !!!
Wow. What a loser.

And a "Shootist"? That's laughable.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sincerely,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

The only Winchester 92s I know are the repros. They aren't all that smooth coming from the box, my trigger is pretty good, but a lot of other stuff is way too stiff:

For me in Canada, I am cut off from US smiths, and parts. For me that makes the existence of Steve's tapes and parts (the parts are cheap enough not to come under the export rules). The simplest way for me to make/get a smoothed action.

In The US the existence of a ton of Marlin short stroke action parts, nice sights, etc... Make the Marlin more desireable to me, and it can take more of a pounding than the 73, but less than the 92. So if smoothness were the only thing, I liked to pay for custom work, or could do the fitting myself, the Marlin would appeal to me. But in my case the 92 was superior.

The 92 was in fact the only choice for me, because I need the caliber and finish features it offers. I was looking for a canoe carbine!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Bogie35 wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:FOR THE ABSOLUTE LIFE OF ME I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY PACO OR HOBIE ALLOW THE WASTE OF BANDSPACE FOR SUCH CHILDISH SILLYNESS AS QUESTIONS LIKE THESE !!!
Wow. What a loser.

And a "Shootist"? That's laughable.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sincerely,
bogie
YOU HAVE ME CONFUSED WITH SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIQ WHAT ANYONE LIKE YOU THINKS. DO YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO PICK OUT YOUR LACE PANTIES TOO ??
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Terry Murbach wrote:
Bogie35 wrote:
Last edited by Bogie35 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

BOGIE,
WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A HOLE THE FIRST THING TO DO IS STOP DIGGING.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Terry Murbach wrote:BOGIE,
WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A HOLE THE FIRST THING TO DO IS STOP DIGGING.
Last edited by Bogie35 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

sorry
Last edited by Bogie35 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bogie35,

I started this response before your first response to Terry and resulting snit. I don't have to wonder about Terry, I think I know where he stands and understand his 'tude, but I have to give you the benefit of doubt, which I'm willing to do.

...So, hoping I ain't been wasting my time:

Terry,

I hear ya, but I also remember previous threads on the old board of a like nature, usually about the relative strength of the 4 actions in these 2 questions. In fact, it was that, that led me to this forum. I remember well William Iorg's postings on the subject. I had to wrap my head around a new truth based on his testing and experience. And Geoff's post above is the very reason I replied to the previous thread. (I hope I got my facts right. But I rely on guys like yourself to correct any errors I might make.)

Bogie35,

So, in answer to the question here, regarding the Marlin, see my post about the 336; except, the receiver is still the "C". IMO, athough again the Winchester has more parts attached to the lever (two locking lugs & the bolt), the lever isn't pivoting against a moving part as in the 94. In fact its pivot point isn't fixed as in the Marlin. It's this floating pivot point in the '92 IMO, that gives the '92 its smoothness, fully equal the 1894 Marlin. This comparison extend itself to the Rossi clone. But that is not due to design, simply speaking I feel it is the roughness in their final machining and fitting that causes the Rossi its stiffness & roughness in many specimans.. or is that "most"! :P

As for reliability, BOTH are highly reliable. From all that I seen and heard, it's only been in cartridges not included in the original lineup that have fed any lack of reliability myths. Both are cartridge length sensitive. In addition, the '92 relies on guide rails for positive feeding from lifter to chamber. Therein lies Steve's magic; hope I ain't giving away yer secret! :shock: But whereas I understand the importance, Steve understands th HOW to adjust the roughest and misguided amongst us. :mrgreen: I'm sure there are equqlly talented Marlin doctors.

Therefore, in the two areas you asked about, IMO they are about equal, as any issues in any sample can be resolved to it functions with the best example. As with the 336 and Mdl 94, the 1894 & 1892 have differences in several other areas that may impact on which the decision of which to buy; but that is a matter of personal preference. Myonly advce is to go forth, shop around, fondle 'em all and hope ya et a ood'un!

Then... come back here & post pics! :twisted:
Last edited by Griff on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Terry,
With all of your vast knowledge, you should realize that one time, you were a punk like us :D Relax dude. This stuff is new to a lot of guys here. Be thankful they are indulging in firearms talk instead of playing with dolls or choking their chickens. :D

I remember one time I asked a question on the strength of barrel liners and you came up with not only the answer, but a scientific answer in the exact psi that a barrel liner can take. I was extremely impressed. Only guys like you, JT, JTaylor, Veral Smith, Hobie :D , Elmer Keith, and good ole Skeeter can or could answer questions so deep.

Come on Terry, be a good sport :D And I'll see you at the inauguration tomorrow for some chicken chokin' :lol: ------------Sixgun

Oh, the question---Not much difference between pre-war Marlin 1894's or Win. 1892's. Post war, no comparison---the '92 is tops :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Sixgun wrote:Terry,
With all of your vast knowledge, you should realize that one time, you were a punk like us :D Relax dude. This stuff is new to a lot of guys here. Be thankful they are indulging in firearms talk instead of playing with dolls or choking their chickens. :D

I remember one time I asked a question on the strength of barrel liners and you came up with not only the answer, but a scientific answer in the exact psi that a barrel liner can take. I was extremely impressed. Only guys like you, JT, JTaylor, Veral Smith, Hobie :D , Elmer Keith, and good ole Skeeter can or could answer questions so deep.

Come on Terry, be a good sport :D And I'll see you at the inauguration tomorrow for some chicken chokin' :lol: ------------Sixgun

Oh, the question---Not much difference between pre-war Marlin 1894's or Win. 1892's. Post war, no comparison---the '92 is tops :D
SIXGUN, YOURS IS A MOST APROPOS ANSWER HERE IN A SEA OF FOOLISHNESS. I DO INDEED TRY TO KEEP IN MIND THAT I'VE BEEN DOING THIS A LONG TIME AND GENERALLY KNOW WHICH END THE BULLET COMES OUT OF THE GUN. WHAT REALLY SETS ME OFF THOUGH IS SOMEONE WHO ASKS A QUESTION LIKE THE ONE UP FOR DISCUSSION HERE IN WHICH HE DID NOT EVEN CARE ENOUGH TO BONE UP ON THE SUBJECT AND ASK THE RIGHT QUESTION. IT IS LIKE THEY WANT US TO TELL 'EM EVERYTHING FROM THE BEGINNING OF TIME ON A SUBJECT THEY THEMSELVES HAVE NOT SPENT A MINUTE STUDYING NOR DO THEY CARE A HOOT TO STUDY THE SUBJECT. I AM AT A LOSE TO UNDERSTAND THAT MIND SET AS MY GUN LIBRARY IS LARGE AND GROWING EVERY DAY. I SPENT THE ENTIRETY OF MY 5th GRADE READING "SIXGUNS BY KEITH", I MEAN TO SAY THE WHOLE NINE MONTHS I WAS IN THE FIFTH GRADE. NO ONE CARES NOW TO DO SUCH A THING. TELL 'EM ' YOU CAN READ THAT ON PAGE 293 OF 'SIXGUNS BY KEITH' AND THEY'RE INSULTED:" AFTERALL I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR SUCH FOOLISHNESS AS IT IS UP TO YOU TO SPOON FEED ME PABLUM LIKE A BABY I AM."
I AM ALWAYS MORE THAN GLAD TO HELP ANYONE WHO IS WILLING TO HELP THEMSELVES. ALL THE REST SEE THE OTHER SIDE OF ME.
SEE YOU IN DC TOMORROW FOR SOME FRIED CHICKEN, WATERMELON, AND THE ARRIVAL OF THE NEW MESSIAH.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I read. Not as much as I need to, but I read. I've read Sixguns by Keith. And "Hell I was There. I need to get more of his books and some of John Taffins too.
My problem is this danged computer. I spend way too much time on it rather than in a good book. Gotta do something about that.

Oh, yes, Sixguns by Keith page 293; nice stuff there. But I ain't gona tell. You guy gotta look 'em up for yourself. :twisted:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I think I can see the value of a thread like this, for some people, because some people would like to buy a new gun, or mostly new, possibly out of production replica, and have it work, like a gun should work, out of the box, and not require another $100.00 or more put into it, just to get it to run 100%, or have to become an expert mechanic on their chosen weapon, just to get it to run corrrectly.

And while there are good ones and sorry ones put out by all manufactures, I see trends that give some indication of what might be expected of the various models. And frankly it upsets me, when I spend hundreds of dollars on a gun, only to find that I have a jamming piece of stuff on my hands. So, I try to find out all I can by asking others about their experiences with various weapons before I buy the same thing myself. But I have also learned the hard way buy spend my money, and taking my chances. And when I do that I have about the same luck as I do when I cut cards for money. It seems I have plenty of bad luck and a little good luck.

I have owned two Rossie 92's and one Marlin 1894, and one Browning 92. The only one that was worth a darn was the Browning 92. Granted the others could have probably been fixed, but Browning doesn't need any fixing. And that is what I want, and that is what I want to know before I buy, whenever possible. I still have the Browning and it isn't going anywhere.
NRA Life Member, Patron
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i, also appreciate the honest opions of the knowledgable shooters on this forum. i don't have the vast hunting, shooting, reloading, experience that a lot of you have. i prefer the winchester bigbores myself, but ,its' what i use and have confindence in. so, i praise what i like and appreciate the opions others. this is a great forum, i've benifitted greatly from the more experinced shooters . thank you, all !!!!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

J Miller wrote:I read. Not as much as I need to, but I read. I've read Sixguns by Keith. And "Hell I was There. I need to get more of his books and some of John Taffins too.
My problem is this danged computer. I spend way too much time on it rather than in a good book. Gotta do something about that.

Oh, yes, Sixguns by Keith page 293; nice stuff there. But I ain't gona tell. You guy gotta look 'em up for yourself. :twisted:

Joe
Well, I don't know, I think I prefer my Peace Makers and Bisleys with a little less engraving, but I did really like that third model Dragoon, with the Ivory Grips. :)
NRA Life Member, Patron
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Comments about diligent study are true. I have read for YEARS, even spent $100 from another Marlin guy for Brophy's book on Krag rifles. My one copy by Brophy on Marlin is one of my most read books. I need to get Sixguns by Keith for sure!

I really notice you can read and read, but when you finally get the firearm in your hands that you have been reading about, it really all comes together and makes sense.

On the other hand, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask! Hate to have a forum here where guys are scared to ask questions or contribute what they can with their posts.

On this 94 Marlin versus 92 Winchester, I don't have enough experience to comment. Only got one of each. Totally love that 1892 Winchester, 1908 vintage in .25-20 though and I tend to be a Marlin fan!

Geoff
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

That is just rude.
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

J Miller wrote:You said we could include copies so my vote in this one is MARLIN 1894. I learned to despise the 92 action.

Joe
Hi, Joe. My M1894 is my favorite rifle. Never fired a W92, but I'd be interested in why you don't like 'em. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

#1 - The Model 92 action, whether original Winchester, Browning, or Rossi, is stronger than the Model 1894 actions, whether Winchester or Marlin. It is nothing less than a scaled down version of the bank-vault tough Winchester Model 1886 action, so that is no surprise.

#2 - In my experience, the Model 1892 action is much more reliable than the Marlin Model 1894, or the pistol caliber Winchester M-94's. Just ask a Cowboy Action Shooter to talk about the "Dread Marlin Jam", and the problems they have with Winchester M-94's in pistol calibers.

#3 - IMO, the Model 1892 action is somewhat smoother than the Marlin's action. This is a general observation since my Marlin Model 1894's jammed too often to gather much data on smoothness of operation.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Well, my 1894SS has never jammed. Obviously, I shall be forced to acquire a W1892 in order to make my own scientific determination of the relative merits of each design. :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Both actions are plenty strong enough for the cartridges they are chambered for and that is all I would intend to use in them. I think it is a matter of personal preference and I have preferred both of them. I think you can buy either one and not feel that you have been shorted as long as they work fine. Some will and some won't of each.

As far as the forum, Paco set the rules - if someone wants different rules he should start his own forum.

If you have a question ask it. Never know who might have some info here that is helpful.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

this isn't a question where somebody didn't bone up on a subject, it's another opinion poll about favorites and preferences. Sometimes something good comes out of these posts, which is why I read them.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I can't remember how many times this question has been posed and answered on this forum. I guess I allow it because there are a lot of ignorant people (that's not the same as stupid) who've no idea about anything and just want to know which would be the best investment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Buy the one which has the features you want and you'll be fine. While they're different designs and have theoretical flaws and strengths compared to each other, neither one is demonstrably better than the other. Any argument that there one or the other is better is indeed at the level of the high school Ford vs. Chevy discussion.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

El Chivo wrote:this isn't a question where somebody didn't bone up on a subject, it's another opinion poll about favorites and preferences. Sometimes something good comes out of these posts, which is why I read them.
No different than standing around the gunshop or campfire and starting up with a conversation about such things. We all have opinions, and enjoy learning from each other's experience and knowledge.

For those who don't want to have their minds polluted with others' opinions, all they need to do is skip the topic.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I like the 92
but like the marlin 94 too! its on the wish list!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

ALLOW IT? On what grounds would you not allow it? This is a discussion over two lever actions. What happened to discuss anything politely.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Savage wrote:ALLOW IT? On what grounds would you not allow it? This is a discussion over two lever actions. What happened to discuss anything politely.
Exactly right Old Savage.

It would appear that the fellow that expressed the "ALLOW IT" doctorine can't make up his mind to either stay in or stay out of the bottle.
ED
Yer never too old
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Questions about leverguns is the reason this forum began and still exists, isn't it? Sure some questions are more basic than others, and some bring out the rivalry from the "warring clans" over their favorite, but darn it all that's still gun talk.
I'm a strong believer in a gun reference library, and I can't even begin to tell you what I've spent on mine. Books are wonderful and a real neccessity if you are interested enough in particular guns to delve even deeper than what you'll find at a gun forum, but they're not the end all. I've learned nearly as much info on my favorite makes and models from other gun owners, and learned a number of facts that just aren't available from reference books. Even the authors I enjoy the most can make mistakes, and I've heard enough of them quoted to know when someone either "read the book", or talked to someone who did.
I think this forum went south with the political posts, but Hobie has done wonders for it by exiling them to another area, and it's better for that!
Now, speaking of the 1894 Marlin and the 1892 Winchester. I've only owned Marlins, so I'm biased towards them, but one of these days I'm going to own a genuine 1892 Winchester, because I think it's one of the best repeating leverguns Winchester ever made!-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Terry Murbach wrote:
YOU HAVE ME CONFUSED WITH SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIQ WHAT ANYONE LIKE YOU THINKS. DO YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO PICK OUT YOUR LACE PANTIES TOO ??[/quote]

I understand where Terry is coming from, But NO need to make fun of Lace panties. Some of us like the way they feel on their skin. Tell'em dad. :mrgreen: :oops:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes but some honey has to be wearing them at the time.

Paco Kelly's Leverguns.com
The Leverguns.com Community Forum

And, of course the key here is the definition of Forum - read a few and you will see it is an open place for the discussion of ideas of public interest.

That is of course interest defined by the public involved. Merriam Webster, Rand House, et-al.

I checked The Standard Reference Work - Sixguns but could find no reference to the definition of forum there.

And of course The Last Word here:

Forum rules

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Bogie, that was not kind, not at all. Some people actually read books instead of get their knowledge off of the internet. Terry, I really LOVE your posts and enjoy reading them. But you should not have been baited here by this young guy. Terry, you are a highly respected man here of vast know-how, but extremely few of us have your experience and knowledge. I know its hard, and you even stated that you try to take into consideration that most of us are new and inexperienced. More importantly, we need a good "Father Figure" to help us learn and to demonstrate gentlemanly conduct. Knowledge is one thing, but gentlemanly conduct is much harder to learn. Please help Father us in this regard. You ARE a Shootist afterall and for good reason. As David Torkelson once told me about Shootists, "Were into integrity." I know about 10 of you guys now, and without failure you are the nicest, most generous, most humble people I have ever met.

Sincerely,

CowboyTutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

mm93,

As usual, well thought out and articulated!

Geoff
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I used the word "allow" in response to Terry's comment not because that is how I view the job of moderator. If that gets your lace panties in a wad, well, that's not my problem.

I really don't see this question as good or bad, just unnecessary. Re-visiting it again and again for lack of anything to say does get old. That anyone would get upset over any of the answers, and some DO get genuinely exercised, is simply a waste of time. We've done it before many times. At least one of those topics has to be in this software's DB. A search might have turned it up. Again, the truth is that whichever feels best to you is what you should get. There isn't enough difference in performance or quality to give anyone pause. I've got or had both. I can't say that I prefer either. Now the discussion has gone beyond the guns and gone to PERCEIVED personalities.

I don't know why some people are so wrapped up in finding an insult in what somebody says. I know when my father corrected me he could be blunt indeed with comments such as "now THAT was STUPID, wasn't it?" However, his intention wasn't demeaning, it wasn't insulting, it was simply blunt, to the point, and just about every single time absolutely correct.

Not everyone takes the time to write lengthy, detailed responses to every question they see posed on this or any other forum just because they can. For some it is actually difficult to do so. To have the same questions constantly repeated over a period of 6+ years does get a bit ridiculous. In other words, it is not only incumbent upon the respondent to have a certain level of politeness but also upon the questioner to have some consideration for those he/she addresses. I've heard it said that if you want to be picky about the response you get, don't ask a question, i.e. don't expect to agree with every answer you get.

We've got lots of more pressing things with which to concern ourselves than the perceived tenor of Terry's responses...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Okay, I will grant you that the question of 94 Marlin vs 92 Winchester is over asked and unnecessary. But could someone please help me to sort out the 1895 Marlin vs 1886 Winchester differences? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Like the old saw "nothing new under the sun". How often do you sit down at the dinner table with family or friends and NOT talk about subjects that have been discussed before? Most every topic here has been at least touched on previously. I can usually pick up at least a couple of new nuggets each time from other's experiences, so I enjoy it and find it useful. Thanks everyone for sharing! ...BTW, I prefer the Win.92!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

slimster wrote:Like the old saw "nothing new under the sun". How often do you sit down at the dinner table with family or friends and NOT talk about subjects that have been discussed before? Most every topic here has been at least touched on previously. I can usually pick up at least a couple of new nuggets each time from other's experiences, so I enjoy it and find it useful. Thanks everyone for sharing! ...BTW, I prefer the Win.92!
I don't. I let them talk. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

New people are here all the time, they don't know how it works and they bring up subjects which are old to some, new to others. The subjects are labeled - if you don't want to read them don't. That they shouldn't be asked because they have been dealt with in some form before isn't in keeping with the ongoing nature of the membership or changing interests. I found the responses interesting and informative

So if some are "going to get their panties in a wad" as has been used by what they perceive as repetition I would say they are least as pertinent as your mother's cats.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:New people are here all the time, they don't know how it works and they bring up subjects which are old to some, new to others. The subjects are labeled - if you don't want to read them don't. That they shouldn't be asked because they have been dealt with in some form before isn't in keeping with the ongoing nature of the membership or changing interests. I found the responses interesting and informative

So if some are "going to get their panties in a wad" as has been used by what they perceive as repetition I would say they are least as pertinent as your mother's cats.
I have to guess that I wasn't clear in my explanation... Let me say it another way.

I don't care what people write here although I'd prefer they were polite. Some folks are blunt and they are not going to change. Some folks take offense too easily and I doubt they change either. Old subjects sometimes elicit such blunt comments giving the sensitive a chance to find fault. It is tiresome.

I will allow that your women are better looking than Mom's cats. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

:D

Whatever it is HOBIE - you got it. :D

Thanks again for the good job of moderating.

Come to think of it - we all thank you - here is one from years ago that my daughter recently sent me - this chardonnay is for you.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks! :D
Sincerely,

Hobie

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sixgun jr wrote: I understand where Terry is coming from, But NO need to make fun of Lace panties. Some of us like the way they feel on their skin. Tell'em dad. :mrgreen: :oops:
Yea, I really like those lace panties. They make you feel sooooooooooo......................well, go ask your wife, she knows the ones I like :D :D :D :lol: ------------------Yo Pappa :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD